Will Rogers Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted April 3, 2014

My oldest attended K-5th and I still have two attending Will Rogers Elementary. I cannot tell you how much I truly like this school, it's teachers and especially Dr. House. In the eight years my kids have attended I've only seen caring, compassionate educators and administrators. They do not teach for the money they teach because they care about the students. In today's age where some parents can find no fault with their child I can see where some "skewed" reviews come from. If you take the position as a parent that YOU are your child's best teaching assistant and actually participate in their education then YOU will see the positives in your child's education. Unfortunately, there are some parents who look at schools as just "day care" it is those parents who will be hard pressed to ever find a school that meets with their approval. Dr. Sharon House is not a pushover, she's a strict and a caring principal that would do anything for her students. She reminds me of my old principal(s) back in the 70'-80's who really cared about what their students would become. Dr. House is one of a kind and I am thankful she's at THE best elementary school in Edmond, Will Rogers Elementary.

Posted January 13, 2014

Wow, I am really surprised at the last post. Dr. House is extremely caring and listens to both teachers and parents. She is beloved by her staff too. Though, I was not a fan of Mrs. Dombeck. She is gone now. Will Rogers is the 2nd elementary my children have attended. So, I have something to compare. I love it here. Parents and children are MUCH more down to earth and less snobby. My daughters haven't had near as many problems with "mean girls" as in our other school. The staff really encourages and models being kind to one another. Also, Teachers have a great team culture that I was surprised to see. They really work so hard for the kids. Teachers volunteer at all the PTO events. We did NOT see that at the other school. There is a great working relationship between staff and parents. There are also lots more activities available at Will Rogers. (movie night, Turkey Bingo, science fair, colonial days, land run, 2 book fairs, Spring Carnival, popcorn days, etc, etc...) My family puts value in morals, kindness, and education. Will Rogers is a great fit for my family. The only reason I didn't give it 5 is because of the 3rd-5th grade classrooms.

Posted April 5, 2013

We have had nothing but problems since my daughter started going to this school. I agree that Dr. House is arrogant, rude and does not listen to the parents or students,as well as demeaning to her staff (not to mention the parents - I would hate to see how she treats the students when she's alone with them in her office). Mrs. Dombeck seems to have no idea what she's doing at all. It's very unfortunate so many children are forced to stay in this school. We will be putting our house up for sale just to get out of this district.

Posted August 12, 2012

Love Will Rogers! The principal cares about each and every child and the teachers do a great job as well. Parent involvement is welcomed and encouraged and the PTO is quite active.

Posted January 20, 2012

Will Rogers is great! Dr. House knows every student like as if they were her own child. My son has been at this school since kindergarten, he is currently in 4th grade. I have spent some time volunteering at the school and have gotten to know many of the teachers besides the ones that directly instruct my son. They all are very dedicated to their students. The PTO is extremely well organized and appears to be very effective at improving the classrooms and teaching tools.

Posted April 10, 2011

The Principal Dr. House has some strange military style rules. So many rules..... The building is old and looks poor. I still believe school is what you make of it. My son has done well but who knows what would have happened with a more open environment & better teachers. Not a horrible school but below average.

Posted March 5, 2011

Great school. My son has been going to school here for two years. His teachers have been great. The only reason why I did not give it 5 stars is because the building is old and dated. However, they are currently remodeling and improving the facilities. It will be a five star school very soon :)

Posted October 12, 2009

This is a fantastic school. I think that the staff does a great job with the children. My kids love it!

Posted February 28, 2007

I grew up in Edmond attending Will Rogers just like my son is now. The education offered by EPS is outstanding. The teachers at Will Rogers are wonderful and dedicated. Several of my old teachers are still there. I commend Dr. House for aiming to instill a strong sense of discipline and respect in the children of Will Rogers. However, I do agree some rules resemble military school conduct. True respect must be earned and Dr. House is a very arrogant, demeaning, and rude person. My child will not be attending Will Rogers next year.

Posted February 22, 2007

I moved here from TN and my oldest attended 1st grade at Will Rogers. I loved the environment and the teachers there. We had to move on the other side of Edmond and I have had all 4 of my kids transferred to Will Rogers. I love the Principle Dr. House and all the teachers. My youngest twin is in Special Ed and I really love Mrs. Kasbaum. She is wonderful and is always there when you have questions. I would recommend this school to anyone. If you are looking for a loving and caring school, Will Rogers is the place for you. -Stephanie Wilson

Posted September 18, 2006

The principal is excellent and instills a feeling of positive discipline throughout the school. Students are taught the importance of respecting one another and that they may engage in any behavior that does not create a problem for them or anyone else in the world. What a great message to send to kids.

Posted December 8, 2005

Will Rodgers Elementary is an outstanding school. Both my girls have attended there an each have had a wonderful experience. There is excellent teacher leadership and dicipline. Thank you for a quality education.

Posted September 2, 2005

My son is attending this school and his teacher is fantastic. Some of the curriculum is bad, such as the Harcourt Math, but she does the best she can with it. I disagree with some of the other parents about the principal, she has put so many rules in place this year that the school is starting to resemble military school, and she does not respect her staff, in that she tells thems specifically how to run their areas. We have attended other Edmond schools with fewer rules that have a happier atmosphere. Also, the Edmond lunch program could use a revamp to less fat and healthier menus.

Posted February 24, 2005

I have 2 children at this school and so far my 5th grader is doing very well, I can't say enough about Mrs. Shoopman, she is the BEST! My other child is in first grade and we haven't had very good luck there, the teacher seems to expect a little more than a first grader should be expected to do. I don't feel much progress has been made for my child and very little communication, unless initiated by me. Overall everyone is very friendly and helpfull I just feel my youngest is suffering because of the teacher.

Posted February 22, 2005

Will Rogers is an excellent school and a positive learning environment. My son has attended for two years now and has received the benefits of great teachers who still enjoy teaching. Dr. House is a wonderful principal who truly cares for each and every student there. She is excellent with parents and she leads her staff by example. Our students are on the receiving end of a top quality education that should carry them into a strong future.

Posted September 10, 2004

my little girl has been at this school for two years.Last year she was having a lot of problems.But with all the help from her teachers she made it . I had to hold her back but she is doing so well.And I fell that is because of all the care that they have for all there kids.If for any reason I had to move I would stil make sure she could go to this school.

Posted May 4, 2004

We absolutely love the school! I have 2 children that currently attend, and one who will attend soon. Excellent teachers every year, and a fantastic principal. Parent/teacher relationships are top notch! Truly a nurturing environment.

Posted August 22, 2003

I feel that Will Rogers is an excellent Elementary school. The Principal is excellent, she puts the care of the children first. The teachers are wonderful, caring individuals. Education is a priority with everyone. Children are learning and experiencing the best at Will Rogers. Parents put alot of time in at the school to help make the environment even better.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

63 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1215 East 9th St