Posted April 17, 2014
My son is a 5th grader, he has been at Washington Irving since the 1st grade. WI has been a wonderful place for him to grow both academically and socially. He has had outstanding teachers each year. The PTO has been one of the greatest assests, the parents are extremely involved and caring. Schools are what you make of them - I am a working parent who is extremely involved and invested in this school.

Posted April 17, 2014
Maybe this was an awesome school ten years ago. It definitely isn't now. Teachers act like they don't have time for parents and every issue gets smoothed over with "well, that doesn't fit our definition of XYZ issue (bullying, etc.)" " he or she's doing just fine," "don't worry - this won't happen again" I have seen children fighting in a really rough manner on the playground as monitors lug around giant Sonic drinks instead of caring for children; they literally don't have their hands free to help with anything, drag their feet worse than the students and look put the moment you ask about interacting more at recess. Management of the lunch room is a disgrace with absolute chaos at every single meal time; children run wild. Staff management leaves much to be desired, and I have seen classrooms left unattended after lunch. Students were encouraged to make a human sundae of their principal in a ridiculous display as a fundraising activity. There is very little respect fostered at this school on the whole and staff seems to just be going through the motions. Parking is horrendous too. You have to be at least 20 minutes early for any school activity or you won't find a spot. Subpar.

Washington Irving Elementary School 4

Posted June 06, 2013
We have had 2 children attend WI and, as a whole, love the school and the atmosphere. We are very sad to be moving to the new elementary school being built (Frontier). I say "on the whole" because this last year is the first year that we have had problems with a teacher. This teacher told our daughter that I was "fired from the PTO." She came home in tears because of it. The response was, "Just joking." My child learned this year however, I feel as though she taught herself for the most part. With the proper teacher, she could be more advanced than she currently is (as evidenced by her previous years with teachers who challenged her). When a teacher asks a parent, "Do you think they need to be in Enrichment?" there is a problem. Isn't part of the job of the teacher to help determine that? All in all, a very frustrating year with this one teacher but all of our other experiences were wonderful. The new principal has big shoes to fill and had a rather rough year but give her some time. I think that she will turn out just fine.

Posted May 03, 2013
Washington Irving-This is the worst school I have ever encountered. I work with schools in my professional life all across OK and this schools teachers and administration for the most part have the attitude that they are better than everyone else. They believe they can do what they want and when they want and do not have to answer to anyone. They believe they are above the law. I would never send my child to this school knowing what we know now. Don't expect to reason with them as they know everything about everything. We have had to get our attorney involved due to their lack of common sense regarding several issues ! One of our daugters teachers, Mr Williams refuses to answer our emails regarding our child. I suppose his job is more important than the rest of us. Mr Williams has tattoos on his hand and if the military will not enlist those with tattoos that show than what is this school administration thinking by hiring someone who has tattoos showing. Our kids are looking up to these people, seriously do you not have better standards than this ??

Posted October 03, 2011
This is an amazing school with fantastic teachers!! I have had one son attend this school and one still attending, and I credit a great deal of my oldest son's success in middle and high school to Washington Irving!

Posted September 15, 2011
Will be pulling my children OUT of this school! We were led to think it was one of the best, but fell VERY SHORT of our expectations. The staff is rude and really has a superior attitude toward parents, thinking they know what is better for your child than you do. I am an active, involved parent. Have served on committees, been a homeroom mom, spent time and plenty of money...but can no longer tolerate the arrogance. We have been lucky with a one good teacher. That is the only good thing I can say about Washington Irving school. The parking lot (pick up/ drop off) is a nightmare- it is a miracle that a child has not been run over. No parents are allowed to help- this is the way things are done. I have serious concerns about who is really allowing all of this behavior at this school. Complaints are lodged, not addressed to my knowledge. I can honestly say, I never dreamed an ELEMENTARY school could be so cold.

Washington Irving Elementary School 2

Posted March 21, 2011
While our experience may not be the norm, we have found the teaching staff at Washington Irving quite arrogant. I believe they are genuinely interested in children to the point of imagining themselves as above the parents. The drop off and pick up situation is also horrendously disrespectful of parents and the surrounding community. In general we have found the general atmosphere to be self congratulatory and without real facts to back it up. The curriculum is simply far behind other states. Oklahoma children will continue to struggle to compete in an increasingly tight job market until this school gets real.

Posted January 18, 2011
Amazing school, principal & staff! My kids have ADHD, were often getting in trouble at their previous private school & struggled academically & socially. We've been at WI since 11/2010 & I have never heard any of my 3 kids utter a single negative comment about their new school. Nor have I received any phonecalls or notes from teachers about anything negative! The kids LOVE going to school & look forward to it every day. The teachers are committed to the school mission statement, "Learning for All, Whatever it Takes", and it shows! Great sense of community. Very organized school. Top quality teachers. Super kids! Our transition was super-easy also...the ladies in the front office were very helpful, cheerful & welcomed us from day one. We are so pleased with WI!

Washington Irving Elementary School 0

Posted April 26, 2010
I love Washington Irving for many reasons. I love all of the helpful support staff as well as, all of the teachers! I actually went to Washington Irving the first year it opened and was the first kindergarten class to go all the way through! I have always felt at home there. I was very lucky and after almost 20 years I got to go back and student teach at W.I. when I returned it was still the same amazing and helpful kind of people!

Posted April 24, 2010
I was a teacher assistant in the special education program there for 10 years. It is high quality, and a very important part of Washington Irving and the Edmond community.

Washington Irving Elementary School
18101 North Western Avenue, Edmond, OK  73012
Last modified Washington Irving Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washington Irving Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top