Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted February 16, 2016
Great teachers, great parents, great kids! This is a Great Expectations model school. My boys have gone all through elementary school here.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted December 10, 2015
Quotes from Martin Luther King Jr., Benjamin Franklin and other key historical figures are used to inspire students.

Posted December 10, 2015
This school has been a wonderful place for my children to learn and grow. The teachers let the kids move around and work together which promotes happiness in the classrooms. The teachers truly care about each individual child! They are a Great Expectations Model school which means that the values of respect, courtesy and integrity are prized. I can't say enough good things about this elementary school!

Washington Irving Elementary School 3

Posted June 21, 2015
I loved this school and would have suggested it before Principal Dougherty. However in the fourth grade I was taught by a teacher who punished me multiple times during the year because she believed students known to be troublemakers when they told on students, and refused to punish them when they broke the rules.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 20, 2015
The faculty does not keep a tight enough reign on the teachers, leading to some teachers promoting favoritism in their students. One year a student had to stay home with pneumonia for a week and a teacher had them make up their homework for the entire week. When another student returned home from a week long vacation in Hawaii in the same year, the teacher did not make them make up their homework. The school principal instated a system where students can only sit with people in their class at lunch, which means they can only see their friends at recess

Posted April 17, 2014
My son is a 5th grader, he has been at Washington Irving since the 1st grade. WI has been a wonderful place for him to grow both academically and socially. He has had outstanding teachers each year. The PTO has been one of the greatest assests, the parents are extremely involved and caring. Schools are what you make of them - I am a working parent who is extremely involved and invested in this school.

Washington Irving Elementary School 1

Posted April 17, 2014
Maybe this was an awesome school ten years ago. It definitely isn't now. Teachers act like they don't have time for parents and every issue gets smoothed over with "well, that doesn't fit our definition of XYZ issue (bullying, etc.)" " he or she's doing just fine," "don't worry - this won't happen again" I have seen children fighting in a really rough manner on the playground as monitors lug around giant Sonic drinks instead of caring for children; they literally don't have their hands free to help with anything, drag their feet worse than the students and look put the moment you ask about interacting more at recess. Management of the lunch room is a disgrace with absolute chaos at every single meal time; children run wild. Staff management leaves much to be desired, and I have seen classrooms left unattended after lunch. Students were encouraged to make a human sundae of their principal in a ridiculous display as a fundraising activity. There is very little respect fostered at this school on the whole and staff seems to just be going through the motions. Parking is horrendous too. You have to be at least 20 minutes early for any school activity or you won't find a spot. Subpar.

Washington Irving Elementary School 4

Posted June 06, 2013
We have had 2 children attend WI and, as a whole, love the school and the atmosphere. We are very sad to be moving to the new elementary school being built (Frontier). I say "on the whole" because this last year is the first year that we have had problems with a teacher. This teacher told our daughter that I was "fired from the PTO." She came home in tears because of it. The response was, "Just joking." My child learned this year however, I feel as though she taught herself for the most part. With the proper teacher, she could be more advanced than she currently is (as evidenced by her previous years with teachers who challenged her). When a teacher asks a parent, "Do you think they need to be in Enrichment?" there is a problem. Isn't part of the job of the teacher to help determine that? All in all, a very frustrating year with this one teacher but all of our other experiences were wonderful. The new principal has big shoes to fill and had a rather rough year but give her some time. I think that she will turn out just fine.

Washington Irving Elementary School 1

Posted May 03, 2013
Washington Irving-This is the worst school I have ever encountered. I work with schools in my professional life all across OK and this schools teachers and administration for the most part have the attitude that they are better than everyone else. They believe they can do what they want and when they want and do not have to answer to anyone. They believe they are above the law. I would never send my child to this school knowing what we know now. Don't expect to reason with them as they know everything about everything. We have had to get our attorney involved due to their lack of common sense regarding several issues ! One of our daugters teachers, Mr Williams refuses to answer our emails regarding our child. I suppose his job is more important than the rest of us. Mr Williams has tattoos on his hand and if the military will not enlist those with tattoos that show than what is this school administration thinking by hiring someone who has tattoos showing. Our kids are looking up to these people, seriously do you not have better standards than this ??

Posted October 03, 2011
This is an amazing school with fantastic teachers!! I have had one son attend this school and one still attending, and I credit a great deal of my oldest son's success in middle and high school to Washington Irving!

18101 North Western Avenue, Edmond, OK  73012
Last modified Washington Irving Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.