Elgin High School

Public | 9-12 | 608 students

Posted March 31, 2014

I graduated last year (2013) and in my experience of this school it is very mediocre. I've been to 4 different schools and I attended Elgin the longest. If education is what you're after you won't find it here. You will find a great social environment, if you can in a high school that is. As long as you don't mind a low education high sports and socialization level school this is a place for you

Posted December 2, 2013

The school itself isn't very bad, however many of the teachers are very out of touch on proper methods to inform students what to do and seem to be more focused on assigning them things in order to pass, and less so in order to teach them and help them understand. There are definitely some better teachers, but most seem to be very poor. There are not very many opportunities for students with advanced capabilities to enroll in classes ahead of others. Teachers seem to be either unsure of what to do for problem students and tend to apprehend even innocent ones. The community is close together and teachers are more than not friends with the students, but this creates an aura of biasity as many students receive more help and support than others. Being a foreign student entering here, i was severely disappointed with the help i received calculating my credits, i was enrolled in classes which would not help me and frustrated with poor opportunities to change what was going on. The staff seems to be too casual to be a professional school.

Posted July 6, 2013

Having gone to Elgin through middleschool and to my sophmore year of high school, it has seemed to me the education you get is very high class. Keep you busy, engaged, adn overall a wonderful learning experience. My time there, however marked by my predjudices it may be, is that is a bit of a tense atomosphere, everyone is a bit more open for better or for worse, so there will be good students and jerks. Overall, a great learning experience if very tense sometimes due to other students.

Posted April 11, 2013

Elgin high school. I would rate math dept low and coaches run school by bulling students and yes I am reporting to superintendent. I use to rate it very high about 6 years ago but no longer can I recommend this school

Posted February 2, 2013

I rated the Elgin Middle School very low and was pleasantly surprised when we had a child in the Elgin High School. It is completely different. The teachers are engaged with their students, the education is very strong, the various projects and events for the kids keep them busy in a good way. There is age appropriate oversight provided for the students. If you had a negative experience with the Middle School but are now looking at High School options, this is a very good choice that worked well for my family. There is still no PTA available or allowed in this district for all grades - K-12.

Posted December 4, 2012

EPS has been a wonderful experience for my three children. I have two in the elementary school and one in the HS. Being military and transfering from out of state, we were welcomed, informed and immediately part of a community. To date, I have enjoyed each of my children's teachers. As a teacher, parent and mother of two with IEP's and one with a 504 plan, I've found all provisions for my children's schooling and needs completely met and fulfilled. I have never had a problem with communication; a newsletter comes home each monday with both of the elementary school children and I email the HS if there is ever any questions on assignments or grades.The HS's honors programs are challenging and I'm impressed to see so many of the upper classmen taking additional classes at the local college.I actually did a district transfer to get my children into this school district. If you ever get a chance... attend the weekly Monday morning Rise and Shine Presentation in the Lower Elementary. I've never seen so much positive reinforcement and positive energy, anywhere! The children leave feeling pumped, positive and successful to for starting their week!

Posted June 4, 2012

I agree with an earlier comment about the H.S. feeling "clickish." My kids enjoy the school ok, but the website is RARELY updated (6 months or more behind). You have to be very proactive to get updated school information. It has been very frustrating for my wife and I.

Posted May 1, 2012

They have a new principal, I hope is good and really cares abut children and not politics like the other one. Now they just need to get rid of the superintendant. He is out of touch and has been there too long.

Posted October 21, 2008

Elgin schools is a safe, wonderful learning environment for all ages. As a parent and a teacher in another district, I am confident that my children are receiving a well rounded education.

Posted January 14, 2008

I recently moved from Elgin Public Schools to another state. If you are moving into this school district you may want to view the curriculum. Just because they do well in standardized testing at the state level you may want to look at actual classes. If your student is in athletics, the practices are during the school day, which takes away from electives that a student can take. The class counts as a PE but because it is not a graded class will not transfer with the student. My sons math test were on a computer not a written test at a desk. The school system is very cliquish and tough to fit in...especially in the athletics. The elementary is extremely kid and parent friendly. The only issue is with the PreK which is out in BFE. If you are interested in Elgin you may want to look at

Posted December 19, 2007

Elgin does have a good curriculum program, and many of the teachers are very helpful to the students. However, the administration of the school could not be more arrogant. They have absolutely no idea how to deal with the students, whether they are a problem student or not. Students are often undeserving of punishment, and when they do something that calls for discipline, the discipline they recieve is far harsher than it should be. It's a good place for students to learn, but other than that, it's not really a good place for them to be.

Posted May 11, 2007

I moved my children to Elgin Public Schools 3 years ago. I did my homework on the curriculum, staff, and general atmosphere of Elgin to make this big decision. I can honestly say I have no regrets with this decision. My teenager complained that the subjects were harder here, but I told him that he would have to work harder. Since 3 years ago his academic progress has really improved! Since my son is no 'A' student this progress was really exciting. My daughter has done very well too. The teachers know all the kids since the classroom ratio is so low, and they really get involved with the students. The extra curricular activities are growing all the time too. This school system has truly been a blessing to my family. Hope this helps someone make an informed decision if you are moving to the Lawton/Ft. Sill area in Oklahoma.

Posted January 27, 2004

This is a great school. Most of the teachers are very active and care a great deal about their students. There are the few instances when things could be better, but that is no different from any other school in the nation.

Posted September 9, 2003

This is one of the best in schools in Southwest Oklahoma area for the kids to attend. The teachers care about not only the job they do but the students also! I support the school 100%!!

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Native American 13% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 133%N/A61%
Special education 29%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

520 K Street