Guthrie High School

Public | 9-12 | 1026 students

Posted September 1, 2013

My two daughters are now at the High School. One is a Senior and her experience has been so positive. She has started concurrent classes at UCO and is more than prepared for college level work. My freshman daughter settled right in and loves her teachers and classes.

Posted August 12, 2013

I am the parent of 2 high school students that have attended the Guthrie Public School district since kindergarten. I am so grateful that we have been blessed to have them in Guthrie for their entire lives. I love that so many of the teachers and staff are from this community and really make it a great place for my kids to go everyday. My kids have a great educational foundation and I feel that with the direction they have received at school and home have prepared them for anything. My senior student takes advanced course work and is currently enrolling in concurrent college courses.

Posted May 8, 2013

the teachers are coaches and one of them is choir and we've been watching movies in their for 2 months know the class i wanted was weightlifting and i end up in a general p.e. class the school needs updated text books and the ability to bring another amount home other than 1 iss,lunch detention and even saturday school is a joke staff is nice to you at first and then they get all mean over time you have to use these bus passes which count for grades from pre-k to 12th grade which is sad know to even board the bus or else they'll kick you off like you got 3 write-ups or something and trust me ive been going to this dump for 11 years i would not recommend bringing any kids what so ever here Guthrie if they were a business they would have failed so my point is this schools nothing but a joke and that's coming from a student

Posted August 16, 2012

My children have attended Guthrie public schools for 10 years. I've found the teachers to be exceptional. While my children are good students, they each have their challenges, and the teachers have always been responsive and offered creative solutions to keep them engaged. Yes, it is a small town and you have small town politics. The world revolves around football, which can be annoying at times. However, for me and my children, this has not taken away from the educational experience. The honor choir is a source of pride for me and my daughter, and quite clearly for the city of Guthrie and outstanding instructors. In addition, coming from a small city (Newcastle), I am pleased that Guthrie actually offers many more electives than one would think for a smaller community. My children are learning subjects in earlier school years than I did, and I am pleased they offer as many AP courses as they do. Do they offer everything larger, more well-funded schools offer? Of course not. They do offer a proper education with a small-town feel and familiarity.

Posted October 13, 2009

I have a child in Guthrie school district. I love Guthrie! However, when it comes to the schools they are just 'ok'. I have found it hard to get help from teachers. My child makes decent grades but struggles in one particular subject and year after year I can not seem to get help from her teachers. There are a couple of the teacher/coaches at the junior high who blatently show favortism among the children. I have seem it with my own eyes and ears. They are grown up who need to 'grow up'. They are supposed to be fair and just. Some of these kids made the team fairly but are treated like outsiders not only by some of their peers but the coaches too.....I don't get it! What is going on here? Guthrie Schools need some help!!!

Posted October 8, 2009

This school is my life. I have lived in Guthrie since I was born and it hits close to home with me. Some people say its the worse but honestly, its okay, not the best but good. Yeah some of the teachers dont always see eye-to-eye with the students, but at least they make an attempt to put up with them everyday. They dont get paid enough to do it, but they do it anyways. So to the haters out there, go back to the school and see that things have changed. =)

Posted August 31, 2008

As a recent graduate and now a student at OU I've realized how far I have fallen behind peers that went to other schools. There are only a few AP ( advanced placement) classes at Guthrie and the teachers who do teach English and Science AP are not fully qualified to do so. Don't send your kid here if you want them to go to a good college.

Posted January 23, 2008

I would have to disagree with most of these reviews. I am a former student of GHS and I believe the teachers and classes they offer are amazing. I was an average student most of the time and I'm going to college over here in England. That should tell you GHS is above average in all that they do. Personally, I think it's the parents fault if their child isn't getting the right education. Teachers aren't the only ones who can teach, the parents need to know what their children are studying and help them as well. That is only my opinion.

Posted October 11, 2006

At GHS there are very few elective classes and the teachers do not seem to teach the students anything much of the time. There are a few exceptional teachers there but as a whole, the school needs some major improvements. The one teacher who I believe was outstanding was Mrs. Moore. I would come home every day with things to say about Mrs. Moore, her class and what I learned. She has really touched my life and I appreciate that so much!! So, saying anything about the school, I would have to say that you do not want your students there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 12, 2005

I can not say enough positive things about Guthrie High School. My daughter was failing everything and very discouraged in her previous school. The teachers in GHS have made special effort and communicated with me on a regular basis to bring her grades up and give her self esteem a boost.

Posted January 28, 2005

A tragedy. 'No child left behind' has morphed into 'Leave 'em all behind'. Who is in charge here at Guthrie High? No wonder students mount campaigns for expulsion and wish to join the waiting list for Alternative School. A real 'Don't ask, don't tell' environment nurturing absenteeism and failure. Seek real academic stimulation and standards elsewhere!

Posted March 19, 2004

This scool is falling apart. The shift to a seven hour day has left students' schedules open, but with few electives to fill these gaps, many of the students are forced to enroll in classes that they do not choose. The school building is falling apart, and there are fallen ceiling tiles and leaks aplenty. For many sports, coaches are inexperienced and less efficient. I hope this review has proved useful to other parents.

Posted September 9, 2003

The AP programs the school provides are fulfilling to the students who accept the challenge. Some of the other courses may not be as exciting and fulfilling to the same students looking for a great education. The teachers in the AP program are wonderful educators however in some of the other courses the teacher provided may be less than par. The quality of the teachers in general the good out weighs the bad.

Posted August 26, 2003

Coming from a large city to a small town, many things are different, but the high school is exceptional. The town is behind the BlueJays 100%, not only in sports but also academically. I've never seen such school pride and great teachers. When community gets behind our kids that means success for everyone.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

177 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

199 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

174 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Native American 6% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 157%N/A61%
Special education 215%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

• Chris Legrande

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now