School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I am the new principal of Hugh Bish, but this school is not new to me. My own two children attended this school from kindergarten - 6th grade. I have great pride in this school. The teachers are caring and nurturing and our priority is student achievement while providing a safe, conducive learning environment. We have an active PTA and Booster Club. Our school also offers morning and afternoon extended day services or working parents.
February 16, 2016

Bad
Good

Posted April 21, 2016
Since being in Lawton my daughter has been to three schools and this is the only one that has given me hope! The way the entire school cares for your child is amazing. Mrs. Kamaunu has helped and given us so much that I could never say thank you enough. Love you guys at Hugh Bush Elementary!

Message to families

Develops grit:
SCHOOL LEADER
As a result of our poor rating based on testing from the 2014-2015 school year, we have made it our priority to improve student achievement. To do this, we must provide opportunities for our students to take a variety of assessments to show how much they know and to help guide teachers on where children are struggling with concepts. We want our students to be responsible and accountable for their learning, so teachers conference frequently with students and parents to inform them of their child's growth or areas of concern.

Develops empathy:
SCHOOL LEADER
In addition to our daily assemblies, our counselor provides guidance lessons on friendship, conflict resolution, bullying prevention, and other lessons that may pertain to specific classroom concerns. Our teachers expect students to treat others with mutual respect, and they model this for the students.

Develops honesty:
SCHOOL LEADER
Our school strives to develop and build strong character in our children. We have a daily assembly where we review words and quotes of the week that focus on citizenship and strong character. We have procedures in place to create a safe environment where expectations are clear to all. We celebrate birthdays, students of the week, students of the month, and academic and perfect attendance assemblies to recognize our students.

Posted May 17, 2015
I can't say enough about this school & the teachers and all the staff!!! My son has been going here for over a year now and they go above and beyond for these kids and they do everything to help each child and each other love this school!!!

Hugh Bish Elementary School 1

Posted April 04, 2014
This is my daughters first year at Hugh Bish and from day one she was put in a class where the teacher is absent for more then half the year. When we questioned this we were told there is nothing they can do about this no they can not hire a perminit sub or teachers aid. She spent most of the school year being bullied by other students. And has asked to go back to cyber school next year since she feels she has not learned any thing new and what little they have done was a review of her previes years in cyber school.

Posted February 16, 2013
My son has attended Hugh Bish since January and I have seen a huge transformation in him. He love his new school and teacher. It's amazing to see. I couldn't be happier. As a military child, it hard to fit in after every move, but Hugh Bish staff and teachers have welcomed him and he is happy. I am so thankful we found this school....

Posted December 16, 2012
Great school, Great teachers. I have 2 sons enrolled in Hugh Bish ad they absolutely love it. They look foward to going to school everyday and the school administration are very helpful and supportive.

Hugh Bish Elementary School 2

Posted September 30, 2011
i do not like the new princilple mr.smith he yells im my childs face and made my child cry.a few times.submitted by fields.

Hugh Bish Elementary School
5611 Northwest Alan A Dale Lane, Lawton, OK  73505
Last modified Hugh Bish Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.