Steed Elementary School

Public | PK-5

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted October 29, 2013

I was a student at Steed in the 06-07 and 07-08 years. There was not really much learning. The last year I was there I was asked to skip a grade because I was literally helping to teach the class. Worst school i have ever been to.

Posted May 12, 2013

This school is horrible. They have a couple good teachers at the school that really need to leave the school ASAP. The principal Ms. Tucker is an embarassment to principals. Allows students to get bullied or inappropriately touched by other students with no disciplinary actions. She thinks by moving them to another class, all is taken care of. Receptionists are incompetent. Pick up and drop off are insane. I'd urge anyone that has a child getting close to school age, don't send them to Steed. Ms. Tucker if you read this, I hope one day you decided to humble yourself and take your job as a school administrator more serious. If kids can't go to your school without fear of other students, how do expect to raise your well deserved pathetic score that the state handed you.....?

Posted April 30, 2012

I have 4 children attending steed this year. The transfered over from solider creek. iI like steed alot better then solider creek. The principle (Mrs. Hamilton) shows love to all the children she is well connected to them. All my kids have caring teachers that push them to learn more and to go above the norm. my children are in Pre-K, Kindergarden, 2nd and 3rd. So i would love to give all these teachers a teacher of the year award for all that they have done for them. Mrs. Case/Mrs.McKnight (pre-k) my son loves them to pieces he is a activite child but they have handled him wonderfuly. Mrs. Richardson (kindergarden) how had alot of patience also but has taught my son so much. He comes home excited about what he ahs learned at school that and the fact that he can read like his older silbilings. Mrs. Swanson (2nd) has given my daughter a new out look of school that she had lost the previous year, but i am glad to see it back.And she has improved a great deal. Mrs. Cahill (3rd) is wonderful teacher also she has taken time of her mornings to help students in need of extra help.My loves her even when he is wrong. He has accomplished so much with her also. Love steed

Posted March 22, 2011

My first Substituting job was in this school. It was a 3rd Grade Class. It was great, good lessons, great well behaved kids. It is a great place to go.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 6, 2009

My son loves going to school everyday! His pre-k teacher, Mrs. Case is wonderful!! Steed has made great improvements and is striving to do more everyday for the children and their education.

Posted July 10, 2009

Everyone has room for improvement. The only thing that I see is wrong with Steed is there are not enough awards being passed out to the children. They do these awards once a month, one child per class, and you can't tell me that only nine children the whole school year were worthy of those character awards. If they're low on ink and paper I'm sure the parents would gladly donate just so no child is forgotten about. How sad is that to make good grades all year and never get into trouble and not be acknowledged? I saw alot of stuff these last few years that really bothered me.

Posted July 10, 2009

I love love love working at Steed! Our principal is very supportive and has really brought Steed to a different level. I have never seen a staff that got along and worked together as well as the staff at Steed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 27, 2008

My name is Ariel Craft, and my daughter attends Steed. This is her second year and we just love it! Mrs. Hamilton is a wonderful principal and she has a wonderful staff. I love Charger Connection and the positive attitudes, and behavior that it promotes. The school is great, the staff is great. having to leave Steed is the only thing that I'll hate about leaving Oklahoma.

Posted November 27, 2007

I had three kids go through this school and it is one of the best that Mid-Del has to offer.Over the years the schools ethnical cultural has changed thanks to the AF Base close by, but I think its better for the kids because the world has gone global.

Posted October 23, 2007

I believe Steed is a very good school, after the change in principal. I believe that the current principal is very caring, hands on with her students and will make Steed a top school.

Posted July 7, 2006

My olders daughter attened Steed Elmentary 5 years ago. The 6th grade teacher at that time seemed to do things to bring down the self esteem of my daughter. That experience left a very bad taste in my mouth, but I thought that maybe it was just that teacher not the entire staff. Well, this past year my 7 and 9 year old children attened Steed. I had a problem with my son (2nd grade)being bullied. My son came home from school several times asking me and his father not to send him to school because this bully told him that he would bring his big brothers gun to school. My husband and I were furious. We went to talk to the principle. The outcome was that he told them to stay away from each other. That was very scary for me and my family.

Posted April 27, 2006

I think that there are some great teachers there but when you get those hateful kids that don't want to learn just want to cause problems with the kids and teachers than it's hard for the children to learn anything.There are tinmes the staff could supervise the kids better though.Parents should learn disipline a little better and kids wouldn't be the way they are these days.

Posted November 14, 2005

I have had 2 children graduate from this Steed Elementary and one in the 6th grade this year. Throughtout the years I have seen many changes in in the school atmosphere both bad and good. I have to agree with the PTA meetings, I feel they are worthless, I don't need to know about the budget, what I am really interested in is what is going on to improve my childs education. However, what I can say is that my children have received a wonderful education and have been remember thoughout the years. All I have is good words to say about Mrs. Dunaway and Mr. Porter. These two teacher go out of their way to give positive reinforcement to the students. Most of the teachers that I have had the pleasure of working with have been positive infulences on my children. Keep up the good work.

Posted October 12, 2005

I love the Pre-K program! Steed has a young dedicated teacher in this program who is willing to work with the children on their level, whether they need a little extra help or they are more advanced. I appreciate her willingness to work with my son in small groups to encourage his accelerated learning curve. Thanks!

Posted May 13, 2005

The teachers seem to really care about the students and do their best in a challenging environment. Care must come with discipline however and the kids' behavior is often out of control from the bus ride to school to the bus ride home, making learning more difficult than it should be. More attentive supervision is required.

Posted April 15, 2005

My children have attended Steed for 4 years. Prior to enrolling at Steed, they attended an Oklahoma City school and a school in Moore. Steed far surpasses those schools in the availability of extracurricular activities. Mr. Porter's sports programs and Mrs. Dunaway's choir and grade level performances give kids a chance to excel outside of the classroom. Mr. Hinton's leadership is unsurpassed. He cares deeply about Steed and each of the students. Drive by Steed any evening and you'll see Mr. Hinton's vehicle in the parking lot. Stop by and he will always make time to talk to you. There is room for improvement in the parental involvement area. I challenge any parents who are disappointed in this area to become involved. Volunteer. Join PTA. Get to know the people who educate your child.

Posted April 11, 2005

I've been at this school for 10+ years, and I am a parent, not a teacher or administrator. This school has its share of problems. But it also has its successes. They try hard in getting what is needed, whether it is another teacher, workbooks or the like. The school staff encourages everyone. They have problem students, sometimes more than their fair share. In my opinion, that is due to the enrollment explosion over the past two years. The student population is expanding quicker than the school can handle it. Budget Cuts- Blame them. Parent participation is minimal- you have a few good seeds trying to do the work of all parents, so the parents that DO the WORK, get exploited. It's the same in any school I have ever been. You cannot MAKE people care about their school or children. You do the best you can, and so do they.

Posted March 29, 2005

My daughters experience for 1st and 2nd grade here was horrible. The classrooms are out of contol. It is very unproductive when class time is spent correcting behavior and colorful language instead of doing academics. The children were violent all the teachers could say is that it is how the children are allowed to behave at home. Parent involvement is minimum and the PTA meetings don't address any real issues.

Posted February 14, 2004

It seems that many classrooms, children and teachers alike, are out of control on a frequent basis. To many people turning their heads to what is going on around them.

Posted August 11, 2003

Steed is a great school. I have two children attending there. The principal is the best!!! Although our budget is bad he still finds ways for our kids to have fun! Mr. Hinton should get principal of the year! Jennifer M

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

50 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

50 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

40 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

40 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

38 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

38 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

41 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 80%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2118 Flannery