Muskogee High School

Public | 9-12 | 1641 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 31, 2012

I am proud of my Rougher family! We have came so far, and we continue to grow academically and environmentally. We have an amazing staff, principal, and our student leadership is without a doubt above the best of the best. We have room for improvement as does any school; the difference is we are not afraid to admit it, and then work dilligently to solve it!

Posted June 5, 2011

I graduated from Muskogee High School in 2009. I was in the top 15% of my class. School is what you make it. The teachers were okay,some cared,some didn't. I really enjoyed Mrs.Owens,she teaches English,and AP English,which is the class I was in. I never had any disciplinary problems,but from what I seen,I felt that the school handled them the best way they could. I do agree with the poster about the school spending too much on the football team,which was below average,in my opinion. I feel that some of the teachers let the football players have a pass when it came to their schoolwork just because they played football,and that goes for other students who played other sports as well. I wish they that would have given more recognition to the students with good grades and attendance than to the students who played sports. Overall,this school was satisfactory. I don't think that the classes prepared you well for college unless you took AP classes,if you didn't,then you probably wouldn't have been prepared for college. But I did enjoy the effort that the College Center put into providing resources for college bound seniors.

Posted May 25, 2011

I am responding to the parent who cannot spell "ridiculous". Her comment about academics is ridiculous. Muskogee High School is not only a "Best Practice" school but was recently named a "National School of Character", one of only three in the Nation. I graduated from Muskogee High and now I get to teach here. That's the coolest thing.

Posted May 26, 2010

As a parent of 3 children who graduated from MHS and a 4th who is currently a student, I can say that MHS has improved greatly over the past 4 to 5 years. There has been a lot of improvement in the social climate (including relationships between students and teachers), academics, extracuriccular offerings, and pride and morale. As a parent who is there quite a bit I see great changes and ex-pect it to get even better.

Posted May 19, 2009

'We' my son, his dad and I have not been happy with MHS, with some teachers, classes, discipline and Soccer.

Posted November 30, 2008

Muskogee High School Was named to Oklahoma's Best Practice Schools. It has great facilities, great teachers and great students.

Posted June 18, 2008

Muskogee High School is not a great school. It doesn't have good punishment system. It also doesn't have a good academic program. My daughter dropped out of band and choir because it's just so rediculous.

Posted October 17, 2007

This school is no more then a place to house our children during the day. They are not preparing our young adults for entry into a citadel of higher education. The teachers do not teach, nor does the administration appear to be capable of completing the task that they have been employed for. This school is reminiscent of the poor efforts that are indicative of a public school in low income metropolitan cities in our country.

Posted April 17, 2007

When kids don't get the grades that mom and dad think they should its easy to point a finger of blame at the teachers or the school. Remember when you point a finger of accusation or blame, four fingers simultaneously point back at you. Parents are you sure that you are doing everything you can to support not just your children but also the teachers and school. Don't wait for a note from the teacher, or semester grades get involved on a daily basis with your children's education, become involved at the school and see for yourself how 'together' we can make this a better learning experience for our children.

Posted April 2, 2007

I'm not sure what the other users are talking about because Muskogee High School is an amazing school! This is coming from a 2006 graduate that is now attending an Ivy League School, Dartmouth College. Our 2006 class had National Merit Scholars, Gates Millennium Scholars, and Advanced Placement Scholars! These are some of the highest awards that can be given to students in a high school education. You won't find students with these awards at Hilldale or Fort Gibson. I'm not the only member of my class that left for college. We had another student that went to MIT while the majority of our students attended great undergraduate schools like the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University, and Northeastern State University. I can not tell you enough about the educational quality that Muskogee High has to offer. Oh yeah, Muskogee has one heck of a football team!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 21, 2006

my four children attented this school. All which said they had diffuculties in their college classes. i do not think this school prepares your children for higher education. i would not send them to this school.

Posted September 19, 2005

Muskogee Public High School is in need of some good quality teachers. This isnt a parent, this is a prior graduate (2005) and who better to hear it from than, someone who went? The school went through several principals all within 4 years, several different teachers, and changed programs. After school programs are good, very good. I will say that, their are tons of clubs to get invovled in. Sports are decent. Definitly average. Parent involvement really only comes from the most popular, or richest student. Our academic programs suffer because we let go some of our best programs to budget all the money we are spending on our average football team.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 84% in 2012.

168 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 77% in 2012.

216 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 79% in 2012.

311 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English II

The state average for English II was 88% in 2012.

309 students were tested at this school in 2012.

English III

The state average for English III was 92% in 2012.

287 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 87% in 2012.

296 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2009.

327 students were tested at this school in 2009.

2009

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2009.

290 students were tested at this school in 2009.

2009

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 77% in 2012.

258 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian 1% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 73%N/A61%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3200 East Shawnee