Nichols Hills Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 469 students

Posted October 26, 2013

This school is the best school and the teachers and principle are great. My children attended this school and it was such an awesome experience. The staff here are very patient and kind and they are always looking out for the best interest of each student. A very nurturing environment

Posted September 27, 2013

My son like the school that's tells every thing,no word more than to see your kids run to school every morning.

Posted September 26, 2013

We did a lot of research, visited the school during the summer etc...felt confident we could move our son into a public school for the first time. NH Elementary is rated the highest school in the entire city. His first day I waited at the door after school and watched his class walk by without him. No one knew who he was or where he might be. 10 minutes later I found him wandering lost down a side hallway. He had gone to the office for help because he was lost and was scared back into the hallway because an irate parent was yelling at the staff and "grabbing his daughter roughly". The office secretary confirmed this for me. We moved my son two days later. The school nurse called me three weeks later. "Your son is just fine, you don't need to come get him...I just need his shot record or he will have to be dismissed from school." I had filled out the paperwork to withdraw him three weeks before. Unbelievable. We moved from out of state and chose the area of Nichols Hills specifically because of the rave reviews the school received. While we do love the area and feel fortunate we found an affordable house the school simply does not live up to our expectations.

Posted September 16, 2013

NHE is a fantastic school with caring teachers and great parental involvement. My children absolutely love their school.

Posted April 11, 2011

My brothers and I really loved going to this school back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. The teachers like Ms. Maney and Ms. Booze and Mr. King were great and we learned alot. The school later closed for several years and then has been reopened for the last ten years to great success in the neighborhood. Even though it has been quite awhile since have been back to the school, I still get great nostalgic memories of the place and would love to take a tour to see how the place has changed since our days playing kickball and four square during recess and playing with the neighborhood children. A great place growing up.

Posted October 12, 2010

great teachers, outstanding leadership, our kids LOVE going to school every day, they make learning fun

Posted April 29, 2010

Great school, great teachers, great principal and staff! They really care about the students and expect parents to be involved.

Posted February 20, 2010

I,m a grandparent and have two grandchildren. One graduated from Nichols Hills elementary and one who went to a private school after 2nd grade. The first child got such a fine education at N.H. that she was put into advanced math. The 2nd child did nothing but fall back two grade levels. Because of this we are going back to N.H. for 4th grade. The the private school wouldn't offer after school help when we needed it. N.H. teachers always offered help for as long as my granddaughter needed it to understand a concept. We now know that N.H. offers a much finer education for free, than the school that charged a tuition. BESIDES ALL THIS, the principal and the dedicated teachers are the finest found anywhere.

Posted October 7, 2009

I have two grandsons attending Nichols. My children went to private schools, however I have to say the quality of education equals or even surpasses their education. I give full credit to the principal and talented, dedicated teachers.

Posted May 22, 2009

This will be our third year at Nichols Hills Elementary. I attended private schools as a child and feel that the education my children are receiving is superior to that of many private schools. I am amazed every day at the skill and dedication of our NHE teachers and staff. Each child is valued as an individual and is granted respect for his/her beliefs. We highly recommend this school.

Posted May 14, 2009

We moved in from out of state and have been VERY pleased with the inidividual teachers that we have had at NHE from K-2nd grade. They have all been very involved and genuinely care about their students. The administration, however, is poor. The prinicipal is uninvolved and does not show the leadership that one would expect in her role.

Posted February 18, 2009

NHE is a WONDERFUL learning environment, with dedicated teachers who truly want our kids to suceed. A great principal who supports her teachers and is very involved with parents. Has one of the best PTA's! Nearly half of the students/families are here through transfer...which speaks loudly. Highly involved parents. GREAT school! We are so blessed to be a transfer family at NHE!

Posted September 29, 2008

I have had children at this school for several years and nieces and nephews at this school since it reopened in the nineties. For years, I would say it was the top school in the district but it seems to be losing its focus. The principal gets the school involved in a lot of programs but doesn't seem to support them well. Discipline problems are becoming more evident as leadership in the building slides. Test scores are dropping. I still believe the school is in the top ten in Oklahoma City, and I believe that it could be number one again with strong leadership. It has amazing parental invovlement.

Posted August 8, 2008

My son has attended this school, and my daughter is now attending. I wish I could take this school with us through highschool !!

Posted March 27, 2008

Great for most children, but there is no enrichment program. No accountability from principal on providing more challenging material, so an enriching learning environment is really hit or miss. I like the curriculum, but it's too easy, and there's not enough science. Our school should not be comparing itself to other schools in our city as a measure of excellence--that seems very short-sighted to me. We should be comparing ourselves to the best schools in the country.

Posted January 12, 2008

This school is wonderful!! Im a grad this year and it is very very sad to be leaving. This is the most loving caring school in this world.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 28, 2007

My daughter loves learning, playing and socializing at school. Her teacher is great, feedback is sent home weekly, and there is a lot of parental cohesion and involvement, which always produces more interested, involved students. Removing our daughter from private school was very frightening at first, but we're so blessed to have located an excellent equivalent - perhaps even better - school! She absolutely loves the afterschool care program, too.

Posted November 11, 2006

We moved here after a lot of research on schools in the area. This elementary school is one of the best schools in this area. My son loves learning and his teacher is very caring and always gives us feedback on his class work. All the parents and staff we have met are very nice. We especially love their SHARE program and the fact that no child is excluded just because they can not afford certain materials.

Posted April 8, 2006

Excellent Primary Grade School. Involved teachers and staff. Strong Parent participation. Blue Ribbon School. Very cooperative with regard to providing special education services to children with need. Education based in core knowledge. The school promotes an atmosphere of excellence in learning and social responsibility. Lovely campus. Safe neighborhood.

Posted February 3, 2006

I am not sure what school the parent below me is referring to, but it is not the same one that my children currently attend. The principal and staff members are very focused on the children both in and out of the classroom. This includes many programs in which all children are involved and made to feel special. For example, an Arts Festival where every child had several pieces of art on display, a Book Fair where every child is allowed to choose a book of their own, and a uniform closet where students who can't afford uniforms are provided with new and used uniforms at no cost to them. There are also outstanding 'extras' such as plays, choir, student council, and peer mediators (to name a few). I have never seen teachers and staff members work so hard and care so much about students.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

49 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%
Native American 3% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 135%N/A61%
Special education 26%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1301 West Wilshire Boulevard