Bad
Good

Adams Elementary School 2

Posted November 04, 2015
I went to Adams for my 5th grade year and as of now I am attending my freshman year at Norman North High school. This school is very undeveloped. As I switched schools in 5th grade, by the first day I could tell how different the atmosphere was. The children are rude and disrespectful. About a handful of excellent teachers. I did learn at the school, but the children would always make a distracting environment to others who actually care about their education. Only few students in my class including me could answer the questions our teacher would be asking. The bathrooms are a mess. The hallways smell funny. I honestly was filled with joy that I had to only go to this school for one year. I do not recommend this school.

Posted March 26, 2013
I have gone to Adams since 2nd grade and I am now a 5th grader, I have loved Adams through and through! It is honestly better than the school I went to before was just, HONESTLY!

Posted October 17, 2011
My daughter has been going to Adams since first grade and currently is in 5th. I have been absolutly satisfied with how she has been educated. If I have had a problem I have spoke to the teacher and I have worked it out. Yes, the school may be hispanic,d low income and free and reduce lunch but my child who is english speaking and not free and reduced lunch is doing great and has recieved adequate attention. She is in GT, Chorus, Orchestra, Book Club and her test scores are great.

Adams Elementary School 3

Posted September 28, 2011
I just wanted to compend Mrs.Taylor on what a great job she is doing. Last year I had a large number of disagreements with Mrs.Baxter and felt like she was singling out myself and a few other parents. She had the nerve to tell me that I had to pick my son up across the street and that I couldn't walk up on schoo,l property to get my son! Keep in mind that last year the school did not have cross walk attendents at each cross walk. I almost changed schools had it not been for a new princpal I would of.

Posted May 24, 2011
I love Adams! Yes, their test scores are low. This is not because the teachers are lazy or they do not care. Teachers stay late and come early. They work on week-ends. The low test scores have everything to do with the demographics. When parents have to work two-three jobs it is not always easy to help their kids with homework. Its also difficult to help children with homework when you do not speak English. What I love about Adams is that they teach each child individually. If a third-grader is reading on a fourth grade level they are sent to fourth for reading. Students that are below grade level work with the teacher in small groups as well as individually. The entire staff makes sure that students do not get bored or left behind. Adams is the most welcoming school I have worked with. They encourage parents to come in during the school day. they love volunteers and will do anything to help. I would not send my kids anywhere else.

Posted October 30, 2010
Well I do agree with the lack of parental involvement. I am happy with my son's education. Shool has been in session for a little over two months and my son is reading. I have no problems randomly visiting the school, they are no rejections from the school staff. I believe that my child is being educated very well. I receive notes from the teacher daily on behavior, pleasant or unpleasant. The parental involvemnet is improving, I will say.

Adams Elementary School 2

Posted August 05, 2010
Adams is the lowest performing school in the district on its student test results, has the highest percentage of kids on government assistance, and is not a very welcoming school for parental involvement. The PTA consists of school employees which is not a good representation of parent input, because the school discourages the parental involvement; maybe not openly, but by the attitude of some of the teachers with their closed door policy and the principal. The G&T teacher is an asset to the school, but as one previous commenter shared, too much of the school resources are focused on catching up the spanish speaking students with the general population.

Adams Elementary School 3

Posted March 09, 2010
I have been disappointed overall with this school. Although there are a handful of amazing educators scattered through this school, it has been an overall challenge to get a quality education. This is a title 1 school, a huge portion of the children are low-income and receive discounted/free breakfast and lunch. Also, of all the schools in NPS, Adams has the highest population of Hispanic children. They are from 100% Spanish speaking homes, and so these poor teachers are having to teach this huge group of children how to speak English! This slows down the education process for all of the students in PreK-3rd, until their peers are fluent in English. I feel my children are behind where they could be academically, because they are having to 'wait' for their Spanish speaking peers to catch up. Ms. Baxter IS a great principal. She's made great changes and behavior is improving.

Posted September 15, 2009
When I looked at the overall rating by this site, i was shocked at how low Adams ranked. We have had such a wonderful experience there. The staff is caring and hard working and there is such a mix of socio-economic levels that makes it more diverse than most other schools in suburban Norman--which I like. The parent involvement is also lower than some others in the district, but those that are there have a team spirit and are genuinely interested in making Adams the best it can be. I've also grown up in this district and you really can't go wrong with any school here. If you are positive, helpful, and attentive, your kids will thrive here. Our three children certainly have!

Posted January 27, 2008
I'm a former student of Adams Elementary and I've got to say it's the best school I've ever been to and I've been to alot of schools and Adams is hard to beat.

Adams Elementary School
817 Denison Drive, Norman, OK  73069
Last modified Adams Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Adams Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top