Kennedy Elementary School 2

Posted June 16, 2014
I am so glad my kids are out of this district for this school. I do not like the open classrooms. Some of the teachers for first grade are really great teachers and some will not even stay after school to meet with you about your child. There are alot of kids who loves to bully at this school and Im not surprised by where the school is located.

Posted June 17, 2013
I don't like the fact that they have 'open classroom' I think this could be very distracting for the kids.

Kennedy Elementary School 4

Posted January 14, 2013
I am very disappointed in the prior reviews of the new staff. It is sad to say that your children are likely the ones that ran the old staff off! The staff were not let go they were heading for the exit as soon as the bell rang the last day of school. There were some good teachers that left but many were not worth crying over. My child has attended Kennedy for the past six years and I am very pleased with the improvement. The school needed someone to come clean it up! I'm glad to know my Child is safe not having people in and out all day visiting whenever they please. I was delighted to see new faces this year and see smiles on them. That is something that was lacking for some time. My child has been challenged this year and has learned more in the past few months than with past teaching strategies. I am very pleased with the newly hired teacher my child has this year! The Principal is kind, helpful and is also effective at managing a school. GOOD JOB and THANK YOU for making the school a great place to LEARN!

Kennedy Elementary School 5

Posted September 06, 2012
My family and I moved to Norman from western Oklahoma last year. My daughter started third grade here at Kennedy. I have read the other reviews from some parents on this site and I can tell you.....THEY ARE WRONG!!!!!! The teachers at Kennedy are excellent! They challenge and excite the students. They are all very well educated and trained. The administration is forthright and precise. The entire staff, from the janitor all the way up to the principal, is a well oiled machine. Using a perfect balance of discipline and compassion, I have no doubt that they are producing a future generation of great Americans. It would not suprise me at all to see a couple of Presidents or Supreme Court Justices come out of this school. I am pleased beyond measure with the education that my own daughter receives. I also understand that her education is not only up to her teachers, but also her parents. Working together, I know she has a solid future.

Kennedy Elementary School 5

Posted September 05, 2012
Change is always hard but I truly believe that all our new staff at Kennedy is going to lead us into the future in a meaningful and successful way. Coming from the curious postion of being both an employee and having children that attend the school I can attest that it is a wonderful school filled with the dedicated and loving staff. Perhaps I'd have more respect for the naysayers if they'd leave their contact information. Kennedy is what YOU make of it. I have been there every day for the last six years in some capacity; as a Thursday folder stuffer, a homeroom mom, as a PTA member, etc. HAVE YOU? It's my honor and priviledge to serve the Kennedy community. Let's all work together and in the very wise words of Ghandi "Be the change you wish to see in the world..."

Posted August 28, 2012
New principal is making this school into a military school and stripping kids of their creativity. They are no longer allowed to make their own decisions, they predetermined for them. The old principal was much better than this dictator. Parents are not allowed to surprise visit their children to see how they are being treated. How do you know if your child is being treated with dignity? If I wanted my children in military school, I'd pay for it. The new teaching staff are just as dronelike and uncaring about the students as the new administrative regime.

Posted August 28, 2012
Parents beware, no creativity or individuality allowed at this school. The principality is a dictatorship, the teachers are hateful and the kids are miserable. The students who need special services are no longer receiving help, there isn't enough need so the kids that need it won't be getting it. Only full day support for learning is for grades 3-5, pk-2 doesn't have a teacher in the building. The poorest children in the district are being taught at an early age not to expect a good education because the school system deems them unworthy because of their economic status. The dictator only cares about her appearance and not the needs of the students or aspirations that the parents have for their offspring. Norman Schools puts the worst, most unwanted teachers at the poorest school in the district and chose the unfriendliest, most repugnant person in the state to rule her new regime. Transfer or homeschool if you can. Shame on Norman schools for doing this to our kids. Instead of friendly, caring teachers we get old hags past their prime to teach our kids.

Kennedy Elementary School 2

Posted February 05, 2012
The teachers are wonderful and the principal is outstanding... Unfortunately, they cannot combat the problems of a society of children whose parents want a school to raise their kids for them instead of just give them the education they need. These parents let their children interfere with other kids learning. You can see this in a post where a parent gave a bad review because the school didn't provide her child with counseling...since when did become a school issue. School is for learning, not daycare!

Posted September 26, 2011
Kennedy Elementary could really use some help. The teachers here have the worst attitudes, with the exception of a few. The principal is a very nice guy, but the "nice guy" attitude is not beneficial to the enhancement of the school. This school has gotten worse over the past few years. All of the best teachers leave because they refuse to teach in such a hostile environment. It takes team work and strong leadership to properly run a school. Unfortunately Kennedy is lacking these crucial elements. Teachers talk smart to the students, and run the lunch room like a concentration camp. Teachers or volunteers on lunch duty stand there and yell at the children to "shut up" and be quiet. They blow whistles inside the cafeteria! This school has great potential if the principal had enough backbone to fire some of the worthless teachers here. Also, I must add that the treatment of the students here is due in large part to the lack of parent involvement. If you are thinking about moving to this area, please reconsider, because this is the worst school in NPS. And BTW do not be fooled by the 5 star posts, that was no doubt a faculty member. Very sad indeed!

Posted August 15, 2011
I went to the Principal the first week of school. We had just moved to the area. My son had counseling, both individual and group, at his former school. They also had a mentoring program that he was involved with. I voiced all of this to the Principal because I wanted to ensure a smooth transition. His response was that they had nothing like this available and that I should seek outside counseling for my child. I am a single parent. My co-pays for counseling would be $20 per week. I struggle just to pay the utility bills and rent at home. I was asking for help from this school and his response was to call DHS and say I was not providing counseling for my child. Needless to say this did not inspire my trust. I went to him for help and received nothing but a visit from a DHS caseworker. The open classroom concept is not at all helpful for a child's concentration. I wound up pulling him from this school and placing him in a private setting.

Kennedy Elementary School
621 Sunrise Street, Norman, OK  73071
Last modified Kennedy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kennedy Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top