Norman North High School

Public | 9-12

Posted July 21, 2011

I graduated with the NNHS class of 2008, and I'm now an "A" Sr at The University of Oklahoma, taking a double major in Film/Video Studies and American History. I could never say enough great things about this school. I credit the faculty and staff for my success at OU, as well as my confidence to, pardon the cliche, "spread my wings and fly." The teachers, save for a rare few, are interested and play an active part in your child's education. The AP classes offers students a chance to challenge themselves, the Speech and Drama Department provide excellent skill building opportunities, the Athletics Department is becoming known across the state (T-WHAT?!), and the list goes on. Also, of course, I have to mention that Norman North High School has been named a "Blue Ribbon School" by the U.S. Department of Education? I am who I am today because of my time at Norman North. It's an excellent school.

Posted January 15, 2011

As a parent of a child who is a B+ average student, NNHS is strictly a C+ average school from an academic point of view. It's a large school with over 2100 kids from grade 9-12 and the quality of introductory math & science courses are very dependent upon the teacher. Many of these teachers have many kids to teach and must ensure that the child passes the End of Instruction (EOI) exam mandated by state law. In the process of doing so, the child learns how to do well in standardized testing because all class tests are multiple choice, which has value for the SAT & ACT, but it is questionable if the student actually learns the material where they can think independently and apply what they've learned for more advanced courses in math & science. There are many intelligent kids at NNHS, but they do well not because of NNHS instruction, rather it is because they study the subject outside of school. The counselors are of little help since the only way a student can get attention is to be in trouble or is a National Merit Scholar candidate. Good, hard working and honest students will be short changed in their education and not be ready for college.

Posted September 16, 2009

Norman North High School is known for fostering academic excellence and it has one of the most outstanding orchestra programs in the state. All three of my children have attended there (I have one child still there) and the school is just fabulous!

Posted May 20, 2009

I am pleased with the education my child is receiving at Norman North High School. As with any school, there are a few teachers who seem to not be there for their students.

Posted September 16, 2008

Extremely happy with most of the faculty. I am impressed with their dedication to my kids education. I do wish they had a better system new and transfer students into the district. We moved from IL and my son had a diffuicult time in the beginning of his first year there.

Posted September 16, 2008

My son excelled. He had many classes that challenged and kept him motivated. He can get bored easily. He liked his stats, media and pre-engeneering teachers. They challenged him.

Posted August 17, 2008

This school is amazing. Yes, it may be big, but the teachers are wonderful and there is a fantastic ballance of education and sports. If you want a good high school, I highly recommend it.

Posted October 29, 2007

My step-daughter moved here from China over a year ago and began attending Norman North as a scond semester freshman. She has adjusted remarkably well due to their Linguistics program that helps students more quickly master the language and cultural barriers. Her mother and I are very happy with the teachers we have met and our daughter has improved her grades every semester and always has only good things to say about her classes. Norman being largely a university town values education and the community is very supportive of all their schools.

Posted May 21, 2007

Just like everywhere very few good teachers, that are willing to go beyond what's expected to help kids. Do not send kids to N.N. for that sport. Sports are not a very big item at this school.

Posted January 2, 2007

I am attending Norman North right now. It is my sophomore year, as well as my second year at North. I absolutely love it here! I would not want to go to any other high school. The school spirit is amazing! The teachers are wonderful and I know I will have a successful life and will owe a lot of thanks to North for it. Parents on here complaining about kids hanging out with the wrong crowd, how is that norths fault? Its not. And as for adults on campus, I know i have never seen one that didn't belong. Go TWolves!

Posted June 29, 2006

I went to Norman North from 97-01. I was not pleased with a couple things. I would not recomend this school or any Norman schools. Due to funding, some teachers, and mostly administration problems. Out of 6 stars I give this place a zero, it's that bad.

Posted May 3, 2006

I graduated from North in 2002, and have a cousin enrolled there and a brother about to go there. This is a fantastic high school and I would recommend it to any parent. The faculty/staff are helpful, friendly, and willing to devote the time needed to helping students succeed. Building a rapport with faculty/staff will only help you and your child through high school (good adivce through life). North, like many schools, has over 2,000 students enrolled, and safety and discipline are a priority. Parents should also talk to their kids about proper school conduct. Anything can happen, and it's not North's job to play parent. Teachers are educators, parents are disciplinarians. Overall, no need to worry- it's a safe school. There are many extracurricular activities for your child to get involved in, so kids put yourself out there! And the PTA is amazing. Great school!

Posted May 3, 2006

I attended North, and in response to the posts about the 'difficult' office staff, it is just not true. Everyone is nice to you if you are nice to them. In my four years there I never had a problem with the office- frankly, I loved them. My brother is now attending North and the office has proven to be thoughtful, helpful and caring. I was always taught to treat others the way I want to be treated, and whenever I'm nice, they are nice back. Be really rude, and they might be rude back. What's fair is fair. And parents, it is not the school's responsibilty to make sure your child is not hanging out with the 'wrong' crowd; it's yours! Get involved in your kid's life, then you won't have to blame the school.Besides there aren't a lot of bad kids at North. Great School!

Posted December 4, 2005

Norman North High School is the best High School you can go to in Oklahoma. They take academics very seriously and care about the students learning. they have great extracurricular activeies for kids and have music and art as a option. Parents are involed in everything the student goes throght and is contacted about good and bad things.

Posted December 2, 2005

My daughter is a freshman at NNHS. I have to agree that the office can seem difficult, but people need to realize how many students are serviced at NNHS. I feel that my daughter is getting a quality education. It is my responsibility to make her understand who and who not to hang out with, not the schools. She is involved in extracurricular activies. She has a 3.5 GPA and to be honest she is just a regular student. She complains about some teachers and raves about others. Getting a good education must start at home. NNHS offers many opportunities for parents to become active in their child's life. Parents need to quit blaming schools for their own child's failure.

Posted May 31, 2005

I attended Norman North from the first year it was opened as a freshman to my senior year. I loved my time there and could not imagine a more pleasant high school experience. The school is full of teachers who not only wanted me to succeed academically, but truly cared about me as a person as well. I was also a member of the pom squad and found that a wonderful way to get involved, meet amazing people, and support the school. If you care about your education and about the people you surround yourself with, Norman North will be a wonderful place. As for the parents who mentioned that their kids were getting involved with the wrong people...it is not the school's responsibility to make character choices for your children. That says more about the child than the school. I completely support Norman North!

Posted February 19, 2005

My daughter attended Norman North as a freshman last year. The security and safety of the children were compromised with the lack of staff control. Adult strangers were able to enter on to campus to mingle with students. My daughter was able to cut classes and was tardy often that her education suffered. Trying to speak with the office staff or principal was no help with their lack of concern and respect to parents. Sometimes smaller schools are better for some students than a larger one without control.

Posted January 11, 2005

I've been going to Norman High School since the ninth grade, and will soon complete the eleventh. Its a great school, if you don't get involved with the wrong types of people. The teachers, for the most part, are very nice and understanding and the administration is very helpful. I've never had any problems with anyone. I would recomment NHS to anyone looking for a good school.

Posted December 19, 2004

I am very disappointed in Norman North High. I pulled my daughter out of this school because she was getting involved with the wrong crowd of kids. The teachers, as well as other staff, have very little control over the students and the students have very little respect for the staff. As a parent, it was difficult to talk with most of the teachers and as someone previously wrote, you are either dismissed or are not respected when you go into the school office. I also had a big problem with the ability of strangers (adults)to come on campus without the school being aware and 'hanging out' with the students. This actually happened with my daughter. That was one of the many reasons why my daughter no longer goes to this school. I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone.

Posted April 9, 2004

I am very dissapointed with North. My oldest has already graduated and I have one who is now a sophomore. From what I have experienced, the administration views all students as 'bad' and all parents as stupid. We are not listened to nor respected. Teachers are often not in class and are not receptive to student questions, problems, or ideas. Granted, there are some wonderful tachers there but your children may not get them. And don't bother to try and get your child moved to another class where they might actually learn something. I've tried. There is a new principal there now and it has gotten worse.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

336 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

375 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

350 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Native American 6% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A61%
Special education 17%N/A15%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1809 Stubbeman