Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

AP teachers- mostly all are very good. Non AP- a good amount VERY BAD and ONLY care about being a sports coach or don't do anything to challenge students. People who only take non-AP classes graduate with minimal knowledge and are not prepared for higher education.

Develops character: Disagree

No gender equity resources, uses money to invest in not in academics, but TVs in the hallways. Not enough minority representation in student government. Also, during its big donation week, SPUD week, is designed so only very wealthy students can participate alienating many students from participating.

I graduated from Norman North in 2014 and am now out-of state. This school definitely had opportunities such as a decent amount of AP classes to take. Many of my AP teachers were very much interested in seeing their students succeed. However, the classes I took that weren't AP, I had mostly AWFUL teachers in them. A good amount were sport coaches that did not care about the material and struggled to teach it. This school was majority caucasian and had mostly only caucasians in their student government, which isn't good because even though diversity was low at this school, it still existed. One year, my entire junior class of girls was made to go to the auditorium to be told my local police officers to take a self defense class. This is fine, however there never was a lecture for all the boys not hurt girls and women. The school didn't offer sexual education or any gender equity resources. My experience living in Oklahoma and from this high school motivated me very much to leave the state. I am fortunate enough that Norman North gave me some opportunities so I could leave Oklahoma.

I graduated with the NNHS class of 2008, and I'm now an "A" Sr at The University of Oklahoma, taking a double major in Film/Video Studies and American History. I could never say enough great things about this school. I credit the faculty and staff for my success at OU, as well as my confidence to, pardon the cliche, "spread my wings and fly." The teachers, save for a rare few, are interested and play an active part in your child's education. The AP classes offers students a chance to challenge themselves, the Speech and Drama Department provide excellent skill building opportunities, the Athletics Department is becoming known across the state (T-WHAT?!), and the list goes on. Also, of course, I have to mention that Norman North High School has been named a "Blue Ribbon School" by the U.S. Department of Education? I am who I am today because of my time at Norman North. It's an excellent school.

As a parent of a child who is a B+ average student, NNHS is strictly a C+ average school from an academic point of view. It's a large school with over 2100 kids from grade 9-12 and the quality of introductory math & science courses are very dependent upon the teacher. Many of these teachers have many kids to teach and must ensure that the child passes the End of Instruction (EOI) exam mandated by state law. In the process of doing so, the child learns how to do well in standardized testing because all class tests are multiple choice, which has value for the SAT & ACT, but it is questionable if the student actually learns the material where they can think independently and apply what they've learned for more advanced courses in math & science. There are many intelligent kids at NNHS, but they do well not because of NNHS instruction, rather it is because they study the subject outside of school. The counselors are of little help since the only way a student can get attention is to be in trouble or is a National Merit Scholar candidate. Good, hard working and honest students will be short changed in their education and not be ready for college.

Norman North High School is known for fostering academic excellence and it has one of the most outstanding orchestra programs in the state. All three of my children have attended there (I have one child still there) and the school is just fabulous!

I am pleased with the education my child is receiving at Norman North High School. As with any school, there are a few teachers who seem to not be there for their students.

Extremely happy with most of the faculty. I am impressed with their dedication to my kids education. I do wish they had a better system new and transfer students into the district. We moved from IL and my son had a diffuicult time in the beginning of his first year there.

My son excelled. He had many classes that challenged and kept him motivated. He can get bored easily. He liked his stats, media and pre-engeneering teachers. They challenged him.

This school is amazing. Yes, it may be big, but the teachers are wonderful and there is a fantastic ballance of education and sports. If you want a good high school, I highly recommend it.

Last modified Norman North High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.