Horace Mann Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 343 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 25, 2013

My 3 daughters have attended Horace Mann since 2008. One is a special needs child and has nothing but a wonderful experiences with this school and teachers. We have had only one teacher in the last 5 yrs that was not the greatest. All others have gone over and beyond. They care about their class and children. They work hard to get the most out of your childs learning. The do not tolerate excuses.

Posted June 25, 2013

Just walk in to this school to see how awful it is; see if you can catch any of the faculty/staff smiling. Doubtful. My son attended this school for pre-k; the experience was horrible. All the teacher ever did was complain about my son not finishing his worksheets. She never celebrated his good points. During a parent teacher conference, I asked the teacher to name my son's best quality. She stared at me blankly, she seemed confused , and could not give me an answer. The situation declined through the year, and my son began having meltdowns every morning, and peeing his pants every day, sometimes several times a day, a clear sign of high amounts of anxiety for a nearly five year old. Finally, one day, the teacher called and left me a nasty message asking if I just wanted to leave him in his dirty clothes for the rest of the day. I pulled him out of the school. I know it sounds like I must have some terrible child, but he's actually incredibly sweet. His new teacher tells me again and again how sweet he is and how she has never seen him be mean to any child and he has the sweetest smile :). Once I pulled him from school, he immediately stopped wetting his pants. Just saying.

Posted June 9, 2013

I have gone to this school since pre-k. I'm in summer break and about to start 4th grade. I think this school has really improved over the years. they have confrences every once in a while to give out my behavioral and adidemical (please exuse spelling) ups and downs. I get really good grades and have learned much. If your coming to OKC and in the classen and western area, this is the school to go to!

Posted October 7, 2011

If one of their staff don't like your kid,good luck! They could be very rude,it's their way or the highway!

Posted March 30, 2011

I attended Horace Mann Elementary School four years ago and I have to say it was one of the best schools I've ever been to. The teachers were great and they liked to interact with the students to get them to understand things better. The classes were rather challenging but taught the students how to deal with difficult subjects and how to take different paths to approach the situation. Everyone was highly supportive and seemed to understand one another. What I really enjoyed about it was the mentors because they came and helped the students comprehend the things being taught. The other students were outstanding and really smart. I think I learned alot from my two years there, I would not ask for a better school!

Posted January 29, 2011

The principal and teachers treat the children with special needs as unwanted and problem children. They only care about their 'image' to Chesapeake. Extremely stuck up and rude staff. Who think that the children and parents at this school are below them and they are doing you a service or charity by working there. They shun parental involvement and invite outside Private Corporation Employees to do the jobs the parents are willing to do but are kept out on purpose. They wont even allow parents on field trips or to see The Christmas Program, but the mentors are invited. They are stealing our memory's from us and giving them to Chesapeake Mentor Program.

Posted April 1, 2010

I have 2 children in this school,ages 6 & 7, I love the school. Really friendly helpful teachers. The mentorship that goes on with this school is awesome. In the 2 years that my children have gone here I have never seen any fist fights. I am sure there is in ALL schools though. Its normally a very secure school, no one can come visit or get a child without them calling you and making sure they had premission to do so.

Posted March 31, 2010

My child is five years old, and this is his first and only year at this school. We moved here from the Edmond school district and I am extremely disappointed with the quality of safety at this school. The first day of school when dropping my child off, I witnessed a fist fight involving many students, and no teacher present! Several fathers got out of their cars to intervene! I was never fearful to send my child to school when he was attending his previous school. This school put my child on the wrong daycare bus! He even told them it was the wrong bus! Fortunately my child knew my cell number, and gave it to the daycare he was sent to, so I could pick him up! My husband and I are moving from Oklahoma City, to provide our children with better educational oppotunities in another school district.

Posted August 21, 2008

This is my son's second year at Horace Mann. I was very nervous to move to a new school, my son is autistic, but I have been more than pleased with his progress! The staff is amazing, the classes are small, and we just love it here!!!!

Posted July 18, 2006

This will be son's third year at Horace Mann. We live in the Edmond School district and I drive him to school 15 mins. everyday. Since attending Horace Mann he has excelled in his schoolwork and has gained self-cofidence. Each child has been encourgaed to do their best and the teachers seem to be highly skilled in their teaching. The Principal is very kind and you can tell she cares for each and every child. She is a gret example of how a Principal should be. Even the cafeteria workers are very sweet to the children and see them as individuals. I also like the fact that it is a

Posted September 8, 2005

We loved this school!! My daughter attended Horace Mann for PK and half of K. Wished our new school was as good as Horace Mann! Don't let the test scores here fool you... Ms. McNeil takes in student who are way below standard reading level and tries to bring them up to state level. She won National Educater of the Year for her work with her reading programs. Great, safe after-school care with the Boys and Girls Club. Chesapeake Energy is the local sponsor for Horace Mann, and have been very generous to them. We love and miss ya'll!!

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

18 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

18 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

21 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

20 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

21 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian 9% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 77%N/A61%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1105 N.W. 45th St