Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My daughter attended pre-k and kindergarten at Monroe. I have been very happy with her teachers, as with all the teachers in those grades. She has gained confidence and a joy for learning. She loves the special classes; art, music, violin, etc.

The "chaos" of the school reported below was due to the full remodel going on that is now complete. Everyone is enjoying the new gym, library, and computer room. The school is serving our neighborhood well as well as deaf and blind students from around the metro. There are many factors regarding the lower test scores and and state rating which do not give an accurate picture of what is going on inside the classrooms. Despite the demographics of the area having some students who do not perform well on the tests for a variety of reasons, there are plenty who are doing just fine and excelling enough to gain acceptance in to the surrounding academic charter schools for middle school. With parental support any student can get a good elementary education here.

A special education child (3 yrs old) walked out of the school building unnoticed and unsupervised, was missing for almost a half hour only to be found by a complete stranger. I'm not feeling overwhelmingly secure about this school whatsoever or their ability to ensure the safety of any of our children.

When you walk through Monroe it feels like chaos. The classes are loud and teachers are yelling at the kids and it doesn't seem like a loving place.

Monroe now is pk-6th and the 6th grade class is out of control. At times it seems like there is no control in any grade. This is our 3rd year here and we need to get out. The class sizes sit at 30 and there is NO discipline in the school and the bullying is outrageous. There's no longer ballroom dancing and no extracurricular activities and although there may be some good teachers, the school is graded as an F for math and reading test scores and I don't know how teachers can do their job with such rude and undisciplined students.

This is our first year at Monroe. My experience has been great! The school has offered many opportunities for my child to grow academically and personally: science club, ballroom dancing, choir, and violin. His teacher is a delight and it is evident that she cares about my child. There are many opportunities for parents to be involved, too. We have found that the community is very supportive of the school, as well. What a great neighborhood school!

First year here, after relocating from a Putnam City elementary school. Our experience has been dramaticially different from other parent reviews. Our second grader is on her third teacher this year. First class was overcrowded, second teacher left after about a month. Communication is poor and inadequate. The school seems so busy, hectic, and disorderly. Not surprising for a school/construction site. I've picked up my children and their teacher's were unaware of their location. "I think they left in a car" was the response. Inadequate care, communication, education, and involvement. I'm not the kind of parent that is content on the sidelines. I miss Putnam city. Can't wait to return.

We love Monroe! Our kids have gone here over 6 years now. One of our children stayed after school 3 times a week this semester attending a fun extra curricula science class and to a twice weekly ballroom dance classes. The uniforms have helped a lot this year with our getting ready routine. I like the emphasis on character building and treating others with respect. The ballroom dance teachers say that Monroe students are the most well behaved they have ever had. My kids always test in the highest levels percentile on their standarized tests and I must say that it has been Monroe teachers who are responsible for that . The remodel is underway and is going to really be a gbig improvement when it is finished next year.

Our family loves Monroe and the dedicated staff. My children went there and now my grandchildren go there with 3 more to attend when they get old enough. Monroe just earned the Great Expectations Model School designation. The school has served for many decades as the hearing impaired school for Oklahoma City and all staff and hearing students learn at least some sign language and positive life lessons and compassion from these wonderful kids and their teachers. They recently began a really neat ballroom dance program that teaches things like respect, and honor as well as dance steps. I feel this site's 6 of 10 score based on test scores is misleading. There are students at Monroe who are low achievers and from more disadvantaged parts of the school's area map who may pull standardized test scores down. However, there are plenty of excellent students who are on or above grade level, like my grandchildren, and Monroe teachers who diligently work to serve both type students. The architect drawing and decor plan is in the office for anyone who wants to see the huge remodel project taking place this summer. Its a wonderful elementary school. Don't let anyone tell you different!

Monroe has a fantastic staff! They truly care about their students! The principal is wonderful also.

Last modified Monroe Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.