Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Neutral

While I hope honesty and integrity is promoted at Sequoyah, I am concerned that certain political and religious values are also being pushed, and a public school is not the place for that.

My child attended Sequoyah several years ago, and it was a wonderful experience. From the principal to the teachers to the support staff, I found the school to be a caring and inclusive environment, yet expecting the best out of your child. I still live around the corner from this school and since the exit of my child's principal I have seen some disturbing changes. For several months, the U.S. flag was flown at half-staff; I finally called the school to ask why. The person (secretary?) who answered the phone had no idea what "half-staff" meant. So I gave up on that and called the district office. They understood my concerns, and evidently contacted the principal, for since then the flag has been flown appropriately. I was told by a neighbor whose child attended the school that the principal is very politically conservative and doesn't like our president, but I cannot say that was the reason for the inappropriate display of the flag. However, the other day I saw two church vans (from the same church) parked in front of this PUBLIC school. I am not sure what they were doing there. Anyway, I guess if you want a right wing and evangelical Christian experience (and don't want to pay tuition) this is the place for you.

Sequah Elementry is my first to deal with as a parent. My daughter is in PreK and she loves it. She has great teachers that she loves & so far I am very impressed with the security measures that they have in place. All of the staff have been very friendly & helpful. My experience so far has been great compared to some that my sister has had with other schools. This school is already been better than the school I went to growing up. But people need to know that the Principle & Staff can only do so much. The school board has the real power over what gets to happen at the school. If you want to see more activities and stuff for kids then join the PTA and help make it happen like I am.

Pretty good school other then my 2nd grade teacher got mad and picked up my child's desk and dumped everything out on the floor!!! I was upset so I went there to talk to her about it. She flat out admitted it and said that my grandson wasn't paying attention by playing with his pencil... She said, she needed to get his attention..

We went into Sequoyah with great expectations having heard wonderful things. We did love our first year with our Kindergarten teacher, she was just wonderful! My son progressed leaps and bounds in all areas. The problems with the principle were there, but we just tried to roll with the changes. 1st grade was not as good, we got a new hire teacher (not young, just new to the school) that wasn't willing to work with the behavior plans in place and my son suffered because of it I think. It did get better over the year, but still not our best experience. The principle switched out and that made some difference, but I would agree that she did not make the school blossom. We are changing schools this year to a charter school that seems promising in their creativity & curriculum. I wish only the best for Sequoyah and the wonderful staff that we love. I do want to reiterate that the teachers here were wonderful!! It is the leadership area that just needs a little work.

This is horrible school!!!!! I have been calling two hours and no one has answered the phone. Plus if you have kids walking to school, the crosswalk person is ALWAYS on her phone! How can you keep kids safe if your not even do a easy job right?So hands down the worst school ever!!!!!

This school has certainly gone down hill. I like to give anyone and everyone a chance, but with the school year almost over. The chance is up, this school has always been a school where people came and visited and where great things were happening. I rarely hear any talk of people coming to visit or of anything great going on there. In my opinion the new principal is too laid back, and seems to not care about all of us parents and she does not care about keeping the reputation sequoyah has alive. This makes me sad, my child is a 4th grader and he has loved Sequoyah for many years, I hope this change in principals was worth it to OKCPS, because I am afraid my student will suffer because of this. Please put a principal who WANTS to see great things for Sequoyah in this school, she NEVER tells parents anything, it is always last minute, we are not having good turn outs at events anymore, no recognition or at least my son's not coming home saying there were teachers here to watch us, or anything anymore, it's just not a warm loving place like it used to be. So sad, at least he still has GREAT teachers.

This is the 5th yr for my child to be at Sequoyah (started w/ pre-K). When Mrs. Koehn left this year, you can definitely tell it's NOT THE SAME SCHOOL! The feel of it is not there from the teachers. It used to have a very warm and inviting atmosphere...and I can't say it's there anymore. In my opinion, this comes from management- they set the tone of the environment. My child's teacher this year is also new to the Great Expectations way of teaching and there have been a lot of problems in just the first month of school because of this teacher's philosophy. I used to adore this school...key words: USED TO. This situation has saddened me greatly.

This school is amazing! The staff here is simply wonderful, the students are A+. My son transfered here a year and a half ago because of their Autism program, and is now mainstreamed into second grade and has made TREMENDOUS progress. WE LOVE SEQUOYAH!!!! Congratulations to Mrs. Koehn for becoming the OK STATE Principal of the YEAR!!!!

Shedeck has a faculty and staff dedicated and devoted to their students. It is a very warm school, but a school that is faced with many unique challenges.

Last modified Sequoyah Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.