Hefner Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1088 students

Posted October 11, 2014

This school is very clique-ish! All they judge for is what you are wearing and if its name brand.If its not name brand then they will tease you and bully youand talk behind your back. The teachers arent really thatgood either.There was this one teacher where he was playing a radio station that was making fun of president Obama in front of the whole class.I would NEVER reccomend this school to any upcoming 6th grader!

Posted January 30, 2013

I go to this school right now. I do not like it at all. There is way to much bullying, fighting, and cursing. The school just has to many people fighting. Other grades always picking on you just because your younger than them, or because they don't like what you are wearing that day which makes no sense. I would not recommend this school. I'm hoping to move soon. I do give props to the teachers, and principals they work hard.

Posted March 22, 2012

I was a new student this year and Hefner, and it has to be the worst school ive ever attended, and coming from a military family, it was really bad. There is too much curse words used by teachers, lots of bullying, poor educational values, and the supplies are in bad shape. i hate it.

Posted February 7, 2012

I have a disabled child at Hefner. We loved Will Rogers and expected the transition into middle school to be fine but we feel the school is horrible. I think they need more training and more help. It would also be nice if there was one friendly or helpful person there. We are looking into moving.

Posted December 11, 2011

I started school at Hefner just this year, and already love it. I've made new friends, very few teachers are disliked, and the education is great. All electives are fun and interesting. I haven't witnessed any bullying, or harassment at all. All grade levels are nice to one another and most is amazing. I would highly recommend Hefner Middle School to anyone :)

Posted September 27, 2011

This is our first year at HMS. I have been so impressed with the principle, teachers, and most of the students. Many of the students say "yes ma'am/ yes sir" and "no,ma'am/ no sir". When we did have a problem with some bullies,we followed the process & the priniciple got to the bottom of it right away. They do not tolerate anything but the best.They even realized my child wasn't being challenged enough in math and arranged for him to skip ahead 2 grade levels. In some ways, It's felt like we've been in a private school! I've had great experiences with the teachers so far as well. I am happy with the communication, professionalism, and great quality of the staff. The band teacher was exceptionally helpful to my son when he had questions. We love it here!

Posted March 30, 2011

My daughter is a transfer student 6,7, & 8th grade to HMS. She loves it! We have had nothing great things to say about the quality of teachers and education she has received.

Posted March 28, 2011

My daughter has been in this school for 1 mth we just moved from out of state, this has been the worst month, I have never experienced such unprofessionalism. I am so discouraged and so is my 13 yr old 8th grader. I have pursued issues with the putnam city north school district. The principle and vice principle are not understanding at all. The speech of the vice principle is that of a 5th grader. cant relate to parents at all, my daughter has been bullied harrassed and because of poor communications between teachers and students my daughter was placed in In school suspension,! i dont recommend this school to anyone I am disgusted! Nothing is professional about this school! The 1st day my daughter started there was a fire truck and an ambulance i shouldve known from then on this just was not the school for my daughter. They need new leadership! GO to CAPPS middle school please stay away from Hefner.!

Posted January 10, 2011

I attended 6th grade here and the teachers are good,students care about appearance too much and lunch is always good and healthy. I dont question why mother took me out of this school and in a new one though,I cant really say its a bad school in general but compared to my new school its bad. Drama is excellent,Band is good and Sports is crazy good,you feel a tremendous amount of pride when you go here and its sensational. I wish I could go back but my new school is good for education and I understand.I recommend this school only for certain reasons and tell your child that there is alot of following going on here if someone wears like a cool bracelet or something,EVERYONE has it the next day but dont worry,I never followed the crowd and Im successful here in the friends category.

Posted August 1, 2010

Hefner Middle School is a wonderful school I have been there for two years and is going on my third!! I am glad i am going to that school they have cool teachers that know what to say when you need them. Principles are all good they do what they are to do. The students are well behaved they want to have a good education don't you want your kids to? If so go to H.M.S.!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 27, 2010

Coming from a private school, we were understandably concerned about issues such as high-quality curriculum, student-to-teacher ratio, and safety. Hefner has put all our fears at rest and has far exceeded our expectations in all categories. The teachers, staff, and administration are friendly, efficient, and knowledgeable. Though the school has a large enrollment, it is run professionally and with no tolerance for misbehavior. The students and parents are friendly, and there is a true sense of school pride and community at Hefner Middle School!

Posted January 15, 2009

I love Hefner Middle School. Of course, some kids are going to misbehave. Its a public school, what can you expect? The faculty works and works to keep everyone in line. I think they are very professional and wonderful. Sure, some of the teachers are not the best. But again even private schools don't always have the best. Some of the teachers have changed my life. They are amazing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 28, 2008

This school needs to be shut down.The teachers dont care about the kids.If you wont your child to go to a good scool go to kenneth cooper middle school

Posted November 11, 2008

My child has been involved in Hefne rmiddle school for 3 years now. The expirience there has been educational and fun and all in a safe environment. The one that always complains are the ones that cause all the problems. I believe the administration, faculty and staff are all professional and deserve a lot of respect for some of the things they have to deal with. The athletic program is in tip top shape and moving up. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 14, 2008

The school officials are unconcerned about the students and more concerned about tenure. I would not recommend this school to anyone who asks. They are biased and unprofessional. It's just another day at the office, instead of understanding that these chilren are our future. The officials there are verging on discrimination.

Posted December 17, 2007

These teachers and faculty at this school are unprofessional. This school does not have a positive learning environment. I would never send my kids to this school ever again!

Posted June 5, 2006

We have been at Hefner for 2 years and both years have been wonderful! The drama program is awesome and the band program is on the rise! If your child is willing to work the staff of the school will do anything to help your child succeed!

Posted January 5, 2005

My child was allowed to graduate with out having passed only four classes in her eighth grade. She failed the prerequisites, yet the teaching staff did not inform us until it was too late. This school did not care that a child was failing and let her slip by. This school failed.

Posted October 14, 2004

We have been very happy with our child's experience at Hefner. The teachers really care about the student's progress.

Posted September 24, 2004

The school provides a good education. The students are a little too 'stuck up'. By that I mean that many judge their peers by how much their clothes cost. But I guess education is the priority.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 89% in 2012.

272 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

258 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 77% in 2012.

286 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 65% in 2013.

262 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 2%
Native American 3% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 157%N/A61%
Special education 216%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8400 North MacArthur Boulevard