Kirkland Elementary School 4

Posted November 09, 2013
DDK has had a lot of change in the past three years. We have had three different principals and several teacher changes. BUT, the school is very small (just at 300 students), the technology is stellar (Mac lab, ipads and Mac computers in every classroom) and the playground was redone in 2012. The PTA membership continues to grow and board does great things for the students/staff. The music program and other specials are incredible. We considered private school due to the changes, but are glad we stayed as this year we went from a C to a B grade. Overall we have been very happy with the learning environment, despite all the changes, and are proud to be a DDK Pirate family!

Posted October 23, 2009
Kirkland is a great little school! My grandson went to Pre-K there last year and had the BEST teacher--Mrs. Koehn. Because of her, he is now doing great in Kindergarten and he has a very good teacher this year too, Mrs. Summers. The new principal is good too; I think he really cares about the kids and their safety, and ensuring they have a good learning environment. While every school has it's good and bad stuff, overall, it is a good school for my grandson and I am so glad he is enjoying school.

Posted October 20, 2009
I love the small school atmosphere. It's a place where everyone knows your child. It also has excellent experienced teachers.

Posted September 11, 2009
I was impressed before, but now not anymore, teachers and staff are okay but new principal, with new rules so confusing, as a parent a want to understand with the school new things, but when the school can not understand the parents situation, that is mean something wrong

Posted March 28, 2009
I have 3 children attending this school year. My oldest started in Kindergarten and now he's about to move on to middle school next year. I am glad to have my kids in Kirkland. It is a smaller school, but I feel that they do care and try to make the educational process interesting and fun. My kids love their teachers and have many friends. Every school has their ups and downs, but overall, I would highly recommend this school. Mr. Christy is a great principal and he really enjoys spending time with the kids and getting to know them. We have been very blessed to have him as our principal for the last few years.

Posted January 19, 2009
Fantastic school. #1 In my book. The school is small and all staff is wonderful. Grat job Kirkland.

Posted September 17, 2008
Kirkland was a great elementary school approximately 4 to 5 years ago. Their performance has dropped significantly compared to other elementary schools in the PC District and they fall short compared to many Oklahoma City Public Elementary Schools. Many families are opting to transfer to other schools in order for their children to receive a better education. They need major changes in order to improve.

Posted June 04, 2008
My son started going to Kirkland this last year and was in Kindergarden. I absolutely love this school! I am convinced his teacher is an angel sent from God. She is absolutely wonderful! All of the teachers and staff have been wonderful. My sone loves it there and can't wait for next year. He is already for school to start back up. I haven't met or talked to a teacher or parent yet that didn't love this school! As for parent support, I went with my baby on his first field trip this year to the zoo and there were so many parents volunteering that alot of them had to drive themselves!

Posted January 25, 2008
Im not impressed at all. They do not have the parent portal either. Student are mean to other student. Wish I would have known before my kids started here.

Posted October 04, 2006
This little school is marvelous ! Student to teacher Ratio, Teachers, and the Principle, wow, you couldn't ask for a better school. Do Not Waste Your Money On Private School! Both of my children went here. My son was in the second highest ranked Private school in Oklahoma, yet we feel every bit as comfortable having him here at DD Kirkland! Consider yourself very fortunate to live within This school's boundaries ! Take the time to meet Mr. Christy as well. He's a super guy !

Kirkland Elementary School
6020 North Independence Avenue, Oklahoma City, OK  73112
Last modified Kirkland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kirkland Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top