Dennis Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted May 14, 2013

My child has attended Dennis from k-3rd K teacher was Great! Young, although very Educated Knowledgeable, in all areas needed in the classroom. Also very respectful, always kept me informed on how my child was doing grades, behavior etc. 2nd grade teacher was Amazing as well. Also young but Experienced, well Educated in her field as well, my child learned a great deal from both, We were pleased. 3rd grade New year new office staff was much better this year, Principal not so much! My child had some difficulties this year with getting hit on more this year, I am usually notified, and play a very active role so I went up to discuss what happen and the level of consequences, I find that nothing more than just a missed recess or 45min after school has taken place. My child has been Punched in the face, kicked in the stomach and choked recently, very lil has been done to rectify the situation to make me feel safe or confident sending my child to school. It is approaching the end of the school year and I hope the Principal, staff and teacher are on a path to furthering the children's Education, no worries in that area, Professionalism, Respect, Fairness and Citizenship needs work!

Posted February 24, 2012

Unfotunately it is not quality that has gone down in schools as it is quality of parenting. Children just aren't parented the way they used to be. Either too busy, always on the run, or no parenting at all at times. I am a teacher and a parent and know that children are not raised the way they once were.

Posted February 9, 2012

I had to take my child out of this school because there was too much disruption in the classes for him to learn. All my other children went here and it used to be great. Quality has gone down tremendously.

Posted February 8, 2012

I LOVE this school! I have had 4 of my 5 children in this school for the past 12 consecutive years. The teachers are wonderful and really care about the students. There is a lot of parent/teacher involvement. I transfer my children into this school because I feel it is by far the best Putnam City elementary school.

Posted March 1, 2011

This has been by far one of the most awesome school I had my son attend. (we have traveled around the world. We attended there 3 yrs ago, but I just found this site and thought so much of this school couldn't pass up opportunity to praise them. They help me identify my son's impairment. They even help me try to keep him off the medications. I really love you guys for all of that. Thank you so much.

Posted May 26, 2010

I went to visit and check things out. When I went to enroll my kids they said I would have to enroll one at Dennis and then transfer the other one. I filled all the paperwork out and when I went to check everything out the lady in the office was rude and had the biggest attitude with me. I walked out and never want to go back. HORRIBLE

Posted December 16, 2006

We have two granddaughters in the 5th grade. They love James Dennis and all the teachers they have had through the years. We just enjoyed having Christmas lunch with them at school. The educational background received at James Dennis has definitely given them a strong basis for Middle School next year. The girls are very good students excelling in their grades. Thank you to all the teachers and staff for the great job in educating our granddaughters. From two very proud grandparents.

Posted June 14, 2006

This is a wonderful school! This school has more parental involvement of any school I've ever seen. It's wonderful how the teachers and principal work with the parents to better the learning experience for our children. They do a fantastic job! The extracurricular activities this school offers is also a plus. I can not say enough positive things about this school! The quality of teaching is superb!

Posted September 13, 2004

My two children have been attending for a few years now. It is a clean school with a lot of parent involvement almost too much. The staff and principal are also influenced by the parents with 'money' and treat them with more respect. This school could be even better if everyone would lead be example and treat everyone equal.

Posted April 24, 2004

This is the best elementary school in the Putnam City School district. The teachers and principal work hard to provide the best educational experiences for the students. The teachers are very skilled and dedicatied to each and every student. The specials' teachers are top notch. It is my opinion that the parents are too pushy which hampers the educational process. I would recommend this outstanding school to everyone.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have had a wonderful experience working with the faculty, staff and students of James L. Dennis. They have an outstanding principal and wonderful media center. It should be the best Putnam City Elementary School.

Posted May 30, 2003

James Dennis is a really great public elementary school in many respects. There could be a little more communication between the administration and parents and faculty. Most teachers are very good and communicate with parents but standards amond the teachers varies significantly. Also the PEAK or gifted and talented program is very good but is not accomodated well by some of the teachers. It is a safe school with great parental involvement. They should do more to promote themselves.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

52 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

64 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

87 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 2%
Native American 5% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 146%N/A61%
Special education 213%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11800 James L. Dennis Dr