John Glenn Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted July 18, 2011

Teachers/principals don't pay enough attention to students when in classroom, recess, lunch, etc. Kids getting into serious trouble all the time 'cause teacher(s)/principal DON'T KNOW suspensions are happening too frequently to otherwise good students if they weren't PROVOKED ALL THE TIME! Their size, neighborhood, bullying, clothes, parents, teachers telling stuff they don't know about at all, etc. When a kid under 3rd grade acts up----call parent, send home=stay home rest of day or 1-3 days=who wouldn't want that?! No messing with school people at all then! Wrong decisions, I think, on the school! When in K had substitutes like crazy 'cause his was so sick with cancer! RUINED HIM & OTHERS, in OUR OPINIONS!!! Trying to get back on track but hard with his 'reputation', NOW! Again teachers/substitute teachers/principal(s)!!! All SHAPE OUR KIDS! Last year's teacher did remarkable with him/classmates, though! Thank goodness for her! Being in service helped a lot, also!

Posted July 19, 2010

They lost my son on the first day of school. I was frantically calling from work because he did not arrive home on the bus, the school office would not anser the phone, and I was stuck across town unable to get there in person. How does a school NOT know WHO was on the busses that morning? They also never told me what class he was in, shuffled him around all day not knowing where he was supposed to me. The principle gave me a different story than the teacher about where he was while "lost" when school let out. HE IS 5!!! They lost his school supplies and backpack that day too. No one knows what he did that day or what rooms he was in!

Posted June 2, 2010

This was my daughter's first year at John Glenn Elementary. She had Carol Spears as her teacher and I could not have asked for a better start for her. She did not take Pre-K and yet between home teaching and what she learned from Ms. Spear she was right there with the other students. I am very pleased.

Posted March 5, 2010

for 7 years i have had at least one child at John Glenn elementary and until now I have been fairly happy this year though I have serious concerns about many staff members and their routines with the children.

Posted October 9, 2009

It is a wonderful school with wonderful teachers. My kids just love their teachers and they love their school....This says a lot when small children actualy are eager to go to school each morning!!

Posted August 10, 2009

I was upset when I found out my child would attend this school since we lived just a street away from another school, however now I am beyond thankful that we fell into the Western Heights school district! My child is in his 4th year of attending John Glenn, the first 2 years were spectacular! He had Mrs. Calvert and Mrs. Green for pre-k and loved loved loved them, as did I. They are both great teachers and I was sad to see Mrs. Calvert leave. His kindergarten teacher was Mrs. Schmidt and she and her daughter (assistant) were wonderful teachers as well. They bent over backwards to protect the kid's privacy and always kept me updated on progress and activities. His experience last year was enough to turn me away from the school, but we are trying again and hoping for the best.

Posted July 25, 2007

Both my boys attended JGES since Kindergarten. The older just finished 5th grade & the younger is entering 4th. I'm not sure I'd have chosen JGES by external reviews, but I'm very pleased overall. Every grade's teacher has been excellent (we're very grateful) & I believe the current principal & vice are major assets. The Knighting program is an honorable & effective incentive, a swift response (to our complaints of too many fund-raisers) by this principal's leadership. We've even had a loyal & wonderful bus driver all these years! Not a perfect school in every way, but very under-rated, I believe.

Posted July 5, 2007

I think John Glenn could do better in the discipline area. Alot of it is the principal there now. The teachers are great.

Posted June 11, 2007

My oldest son went to John Glenn for several years under the previous principal and it was a great experience! I now have a son and daughter (twins) attending under the current principal. She is very rude, hard to deal with and unreasonable! I will not be sending them back there for 2nd grade!

Posted June 1, 2007

The staff as a whole work together to make sure that each student is treated equally. My child attended John Glenn from K thru 5th grade. My child loves it and has many friends. The principal is good at not following thru on what she tells the students. Her assistant principal is very good at what he does and is loved by everyone.

Posted October 23, 2005

I love John Glenn the teachers are great and easy to talk to and understand. Although, I am dissapointed with the new tardy rule. My son recieved 2 tardies this year and he miss a day to avoid a suspension, 3 tardies then Iss for a day! Overall it is a really good school.

Posted October 21, 2005

My son was really cheated out of his kindegarten experience. Mostly due to the inadequate staff that was there last year. He was very rarely praised for his good days and believe me they were right on top of it on his bad days. They make it very apparent that their interest is not in the children, but to only their status. I would not recommend John Glenn in Western Heights district to anyone who wants their child to love and embrace school.

Posted October 14, 2005

My daughter is in Mrs. Rankin's Pre-K class. I am a preschool teacher and my daughter used to come with me where I work. Since she has left and attended WHPS and has been in Mrs. Rankin's class, I have seen marked improvements in her self esteem, and learning. She absoluately loves going to school and I am able to be involved as much as I can! I have the luxury of being off one day per week and I spend it in the classroom. I can see for myself what's going on and I know for a fact that the children are being taught well, treated well and being well prepared for Kindergarten. Kudos to Mrs Rankin and Mrs. Edington, her assistant! My daughter is extremely fortunate to be in their classroom.

Posted August 15, 2005

Last year my daughter had Ms. Pierce-she was a dream come true. She spent so much time with the students, over and beyond the call of duty. I can honestly say that my daughter received the knowledge she deserved last year. Mrs. Calvert is also a very seasoned veteran teacher-we had her for Pre-K. With the exception of two really good teachers, I don't feel like the communication between the teachers and the parents are sufficient. School notes sent home the day prior to activities, etc. Needs a bit more planning and scheduling ahead of time.

Posted July 26, 2005

The school is great! The teachers are wonderful.They have all went out of thier way to allow me to be as involved as possible. They strive for the best out of every child yet still make learning fun. we've just been to pre k and kindergarden but in that short time have found a group of teachers and staff that truly care about our children and would do anything to help them reach thier goals and show them the amazing gift in learning.

Posted June 19, 2005

I feel that my son has learned alot at this school, his pre-k teacher Mrs. Rankin was just awesome. I was some what disappointed with his teacher this year and I was very disappointed with his Assistant Principal this year. I feel there is a lack of direction is some of the classes but that overall it is alot better than some schools.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

83 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

83 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

58 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 91%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

6501 South Land Ave