Winds West Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted September 7, 2012

I attended Winds West from 1986 till moving to middle school. I do not have fond memories of this school as a child. When I was in Sixth grade my teacher had the nerve to ask my parents to hold me back because I was so short, regardless that her supporter in the other 6th grade class was no taller than I was then. After that my Niece attended this same school they treated her no better.

Posted May 21, 2012

Worst school district I have been a part of. The principal is horrible and does not engage with the students. She "does not have time" to deal with them. The superintendent is mean and rude to parents. In addition, the education level at this school is horrible. Do your child a favor and pick another school district.

Posted April 27, 2006

We just moved into the area and I am very impressed with the school. I attended Winds West, myself, from the time it was newly open when I was in third grade until I went to middle school. Winds West was a great school then and it still is now. I am very impressed with the office personnel and teachers. The neat thing is that they still hold true to many of the traditions that were started when I was attending such as.. Square Dances, Land Runs, Track Meets, etc. They even have support groups for children with both depression and anger, something that I've never heard of at previous schools my children attended. Now that I have my children in Western Heights school district we will not ever change districts. Western Heights is one of the best districts in the city, they always have been and I'm sure always will.

Posted February 16, 2006

I currently have 2 children in Winds West, and I tell you that I have been very happy with their progress. With all of the extra burden put on the teachers, they have responded very well. There are so many other responsibilities that the teacher are being held accountable for in addition to teaching. They have to be a parent in many situtations. With the NCLB, the teachers are required to spend endless time behind their computers and testing that it takes away from the classroom teaching. If the requirements on the computers are not met, the teacher faces disciplinary action. I am not saying that it shouldn't happen, but be realistic.

Posted August 10, 2005

I am very proud to have my child at this school. I have been very happy with the teachers and staff for 4 years. The only thing I see lacking is parent involvement. The teachers are not there to raise our children for us. Studies show that parent involvement greatly increases student success. I personally have never come to an issue with the school that I cannot get through by working with the teachers and principal. I understand there will be complaints with any school but sometimes we have to step back and ask what we can do to help as parents. Thank You to all the teachers and parents that work together to help our children succeed.

Posted April 20, 2005

I have been so disappointed this year with the school. I feel my child is not being taught or learning anything new. We are moving out of the district to give my child a better education.

Posted December 14, 2004

I believe this school is run poorly. The children need better supervision. I beleive the teachers could get more involved with the children. I believe that this school needs a different principal. From the amount of time I have spent with my sons teacher I feel he needs to be in another class because I feel his teacher is lazy. This is my own personal opinion and will gladly speak with anyone on this subject.

Posted September 16, 2004

I really enjoy the school year that my children have spent here. This school has the support of the teachers to make things extra special. The PTA as small as it is really puts out a desire to give the kids something to smile about. It is nothing like when I was in school. I admire the faculty at this school, it is a great group of ladies to hand your children and their education over to. Winds West rockets soar!

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

48 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Native American 5% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 184%N/A61%
Special education 29%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8300 SW 37th St