Harding Charter Preparatory High School

Charter | 9-12 | 474 students

Posted February 10, 2014

Harding Charter Prep has been ranked by U.S. News and World Report as the number one school in Oklahoma. As a parent I can attest that this is an accurate ranking. I have two children one of which graduated HCP with 36 hours of college credit! The school is tuition free and better than any of the private schools in the area! This school saved our family so much time. I have never met a more hard working administration and faculty!

Posted February 10, 2014

Harding Charter Prep is an awesome place to be! I love the fact that all of my teachers care and are really interested in me going to college. A lot of my friends also go to Harding and they are all different. It is different and unique because that is something that would not be common at some other public schools, trust me I actually went through a little bullying at another school but here at Harding I feel at home and the faculty and administration here all show they really care. Yes, we have a lot of homework and you have to do a lot of studying to keep your grades up but you learn how to write notes correctly and study to comprehend and maintain the material. Besides, it will all pay off in the long run. I would not want to go to any other school!

Posted December 2, 2013

This is a weird school. They do not say the pledge of allegiance and it's a public school. There are no American flags in the classrooms. No teacher phones or buttons to call the office in the classrooms. Excessive note taking requirements. There are not many electives or clubs available. Weak special ed program only one special ed teacher for the entire school which is not enough. Students are required to take classes that are too difficult for their skills set. It's a better environment than other city districts but in my personal opinion the Edmond, deer creek, Yukon and mustang public school districts are much better than this school.

Posted November 10, 2013

I am a student at HCP and this school has robbed me of my youth. They discourage all creativity and uniqueness. While the classes are educational and may help me with college, the workload is unbearable. I have a job, and juggling the two results in a maximum of five hours of sleep per night and absolutely no time with friends. Some of the staff is caring, but many teachers only care about getting you to pass the AP test and could care less about if you are really learning or enjoying yourself. I recommend that prospecting students choose a regular public high school and take advanced classes and do well there than go to HCP where your grades will fall, scholarships will seem unachievable, and having fun just isn't an option. I love the idea Harding represents but it has made me miserable and I regret going there with all of my being.

Posted May 27, 2012

I am the parent of 3 HCP graduates and we have been there since very close to the beginning. While not perfect (no place is) it is as close as any high school in OKC gets. The academics are solid with teachers who really do care about the student. It is possible to call and actually talk with the administrators/teachers and they know who you are. Parental involvement is actually encouraged instead discouraged like at most high schools (I don't care what they say in the media, most high schools want the parents to leave them alone) and your constructive input is welcome. The parent group is active and has significantly contributed to the physical upkeep and repair of the school. It is a nice, nerdy school where the emphasis is on academics and bullying is just not tolerated by the students - the few times it started the other students just shut it down. All 3 of mine are now at top name out of state universities and are doing well. The writing teachers have all told them to thank their HS English teachers for making them so well prepared. I cannot recommend HCP highly enough!

Posted December 1, 2011

I am currently a senior at HCP. I started going to Harding as a freshman because I knew the high school I was going to attend wouldn't be challenging enough. I found it very difficult to keep my grades up the first year because I had never experienced having to work hard for something. Harding taught me that you can't have things handed to you if you want to succeed. The teachers have been very helpful with personal issues. I have had trouble with peer pressure and they have kept me on the right track. They know every student on a personal level and a teacher's biggest concern is a student's safety and success. I have never had an incident where a teacher has bullied me but I may add that if a student respects a teacher, then a teacher will respect the student. Parents that feel their kid is being worked too hard are right: THEY ARE. Its worth it in the long run though, so stick it out. As to give the school a bad rating for being challenging? Well, that is just plain silly. Isn't that what schools are for; push our educational limits? HCP didn't become ranked #68 in the nation for not pushing the limits. This is hands down the best school in Oklahoma as well as one of USA's best.

Posted May 29, 2010

The academics are decent, considering the state of education today. However, we pulled our child out because of bullying from a teacher that was allowed to continue.

Posted April 6, 2010

This is school is excellent. I never had any problems whatsoever and my kids love the school, the teachers, principal and everybody who make that school is a wonderful place. The AP courses are pretty hard, that's because they prepare your kid to be ready for college. But there's nothing could help your kids more better than prepare them to compete in this tough world. Thanks for the effort to each one of you to make this school to be a better place for our children. I think this school is one of the best in Oklahoma. Go Harding!

Posted April 4, 2010

I am currently a Sophomore at HCP. I transferred there at the beginning of 10th grade, and didn't know anybody else. Almost immediately, I found the students there to be some of the nicest and most inclusive people I have ever met. While the course load is hard, it is hard only because they expect the best out of each student. If you're having difficulty with anything, including social or family issues, the teachers are always helpful and caring. The class sizes are small enough that the teachers know every student, and nobody falls through the cracks; however, the classes are large enough that, for the most part, you can find other people interested in the same things as you. The parents and alumni are extremely involved and help to make the school its best.

Posted March 3, 2010

This school is terrible. They work their students too hard and bullying is an issue.

Posted December 26, 2009

This school is the worst school i have ever put one of my kids in. Im glad i changed my mind and chose to put her in Dove Science Academy. This school's academics are lacking, and it has a serious bullying issue.

Posted August 31, 2009

Great school. My son is a junior and he is getting an excellent college prep education and excited about his high school experience.

Posted July 3, 2009

So, i just graduated with the best class to ever walk the HCP halls...Class of 2009... to be honest,everyone who goes and graduates from this school should brag about it. We were privileged to have gotten the chance to go there. Those who are still going there either hates or loves it right now. By the end of their senior year they will understand why they chose or were force to stay at this school. I think when we try to explain to other people what our school is about to other people,they dont understand. They dont understand how lives change,how tough the classes are, or how much drama and stress goes on.Each class has a certain difficulty level. Our school is the best school out there, although we dont have much. With the love from our staff,classmates, and beloved principal..We have it all...

Posted March 29, 2009

Harding class sizes are small which make it hard for any student to fall through the cracks. My child has homework every night but he is learning a tremendous amount. It really prepares them for college. They do semester test and numerous reports. If you have a problem - the principle corrects it immediately. I had a couple of questions about some assignments- the teacher was called to the meeting and prob was resolved quickly. The only thing I would like to see changed it their baseball program. It has improved from last year and is getting better.

Posted March 19, 2009

I think Harding Charter Prep is a great school for any child to go to not only does it get the children involved in the school and their education but also the parents.

Posted February 28, 2009

I am currently a student of Harding's 2011 graduating class. When I began to attend Harding last year, I instantly fit in and made new friends. Harding has since become like a second home to me and I look forward to going to school everyday. I especially love the teachers at Harding. I would say that they are some of the finest teachers in Oklahoma and their rigerous classes defenantly prepare you for success. Mr. Caram is an amazing principal and is very dedicated to his school and students. When going to Harding, no matter what grade you are in, you feel accepted and loved by all of the student body and faculty and they become a kind of family to you. I don't know what I would do without Harding and the amazing experiences I have gained from it. I will always be proud to be an Eagle!

Posted January 21, 2009

I am a senior at Harding and will in the graduating class of 2009. Harding has prepared me greatly for college and for life. I have been here for 4 years and I would not have picked a better to go to. I owe my success to Harding. The teachers are more than willing to help the students The class sizes are small so it offers a closer environment between students and teachers. I would refer Harding to any parent or student!

Posted January 16, 2009

I'm currently a freshman at HCP and I absolutely love it! I was very nervous about starting HS, but everyone is so nice and helpful I can't imagine going to a different school. It's a wonderful place to learn because teachers and other students are willing to help you if you ask. I love being an eagle!

Posted December 5, 2008

I am currently a Junior at Harding, and it has given me some of the greatest educational experiences ever. I suggest to every parent in the Oklahoma City area to send their child to Harding.

Posted July 3, 2008

I am a graduate of Harding Charter Preparatory's Class of 2008; I spent all four of my high school years at Harding and absolutely loved every second of being a student. The curriculum provided by Harding, without a doubt, prepares students to meet the rigors of college curriculum and will give students a leg up in their freshman year of college. The academics were definitely challenging but if a student is prepared to work hard and is willing to meet the standards set by Harding, then they will succeed. The best part of Harding though, was the teachers. Mr. Caram did a spectacular job in finding the best and most dedicated teachers around. They are what I will miss most. It is obvious the immense ammount of progress Harding has made in just these few short years that it's been around; I can't wait to see the improvements in coming years!-IPS

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

35 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 2%
Native American 3% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 142%N/A61%
Male 147%N/A51%
Special education 23%N/A15%
Female 153%N/A49%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Assistant principal(s)
College counselor(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Gym

• Justin Hunt
Fax number
  • (405) 556-5063

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Creative writing
  • Drama

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council

Apply now

3333 North Shartel
Oklahoma City, OK 73118

Harding Fine Arts Academy

Trinity School
Oklahoma City, OK

Dove Science Academy (OKC)

The Keystone School