Millwood High School

Public | 9-12 | 271 students

Posted April 13, 2012

Unfortunately, the entire Millwood school district has proven time and again that it is ill-prepared to educate, inform, and appropriately discipline their students. The Superintendent s office is unwilling to make adequate changes to how the system is structured. This district relies heavily on their board members to answer questions, the Superintendent, Dr. Griffin, is often unavailable and unwilling to answer question about the schools standards and practices. She is definitely out of touch with and or delusional about what it takes to adequately move citizen students forward in this society productively. A school district with so few students, the majority of whom do not live in the district, is at best blight on the educational system. The Superintendent is attempting to do things the same old tired way. This is the internet age; it is the time for new ideas, for new ways of reaching students who by the time they get to kindergarten are already computer literate. Dinosaurs have gone extinct everywhere in this world, EXCEPT the Millwood School District!

Posted December 4, 2009

I am very disappointed by Millwood, I transferred my child out of district to Millwood, I had always heard great things , however the past couple of years have been a nightmare. First my child transferred in 10th grade, it was not until he was a senior that I found out he need Trig to graduate , which they didn't have a teacher to teach it for a year & half and my child couldn't learn it, there was no alternative math he could take, he ok in his other subjects.My question is why would you have a currilum requirement for graduation and no teacher to teach. I, the parent after many phoine calls and trips to school trying to get help , finally found out about Francis Tuttle, I had to arrange to get him theremy self, no help from counselors , pprinciple, They can't keep teachers, the good ones leave,

Posted April 30, 2009

MILLWOOD has great potential the students are really smart. They just need guidence!

Posted November 30, 2007

I would rate Millwood Schools with an over-all rating of a four. Sharing in this rating is the leadership within the current administration, coupled with the over-all safety of the school.

Posted July 31, 2006

I think Millwood could be a very good school but I think they have their priorities mixed up. For instance this new Art Acemdemy, have they concidered what they are going to do with the students that did not apply for what ever reason. Millwood has let the disciplinary side of them fail our students. I feel all they care about is who they can suspend and for how long. For the trouble students get them some help instead of sending them home. Come up with an about face program for our troubled kids.

Posted July 12, 2006

I think this school is very weak. They let the kids run over them and don't do anything about. I think the school should be shut down or put new teachers in cause the ones they have now are poor in teaching!

Posted February 20, 2006

I am a Graduate of Millwood High School.I ranked 52 out of 82 and feel that I was very prepared for college. The faculty always provided us with ample opportunity to prepare for life after Millwood. I did not even graduate in the top ten percent of my class and am having no problems at a division 1 university.These are the Facts Millwood has higher graduation requirements than 76% of all the Schools in the Oklahoma City metro Area. Has 87% College entrance by graduating students. Averages a score of 24 or higher on the ACT. Has a lower percentage of drug use by students than any school in the Oklahoma City Area (including Edmond, Putnam City and other suburbs,) Has a lower dropout rate than any Historically black high school in the nation. And will become a full Performing Arts Academy in the Fall of 2007, because of it s academia. I will say that it is hard for teachers and students coming from outside of the Millwood family because most students at Millwood start attending in pre-school . And most teaches have been there for at least 10 years. My family has a rich history at Millwood and I will make sure that continues with my children.

Posted November 9, 2005

I think millwood highschool needs better teachers because I was a former falcon and I know the teachers let the students run over them and some teacher don't even teach there classes thay just hand you work and expect you to know the work. When I changed schools I found out that the work is more challenging and it made me a brighter student. Thanks millwood for helping me see that changing schools was the best way for me to become a brighter student.

Posted May 27, 2005

This is not a good school. The students are disrespectful with themselves and others. The administration has no control over the students. Too much fighting between teachers and secretaries. The classes are easy but then again the students are lazy.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2005

This is not a top choice school for students, parents, or teachers. The administration is weak and disorganized. There is no discipline. The main principal is rarely seen outside the office. Too many relatives work in the school district. A majority of the students are disrespecful and defiant. The curriculum and choice of class offereings is pitiful. The majority of kids that graduate from this school are completely unprepared for college.

Posted February 10, 2005

I graduated from Millwood High School a few years ago and found out the hard way that I was not prepared for any self respecting college. Although I did not attend remedial classes in college, I was behind my classmates in every area of learning, especially math. Note I was an honor student and I am a very brignt individual who had no idea of how unprepared i was. However, I could not even write a simple essay correctly. I had to work twice as hard and experience upsets and setbacks before I graduated with honors. Had I known then what I know now, I would have left at the middle school level (I also attended Millwood from K-12.)

Posted November 24, 2004

I attend Millwood high school now as a junior and I am getting prepared to step out into the world as a high school grad. I know that the attitudes of the students are not what they should be, it is not the teachers to blame. It is the students attitudes if they want to learn they will, if not the teachers will try and change their attitudes. as a student i think that it is the adminestration Millwood high students are starting to mature very much over the years. We (the willing to learn) are very prepared for the next level. But it could always get better. Thank you!

Posted August 18, 2004

I attended Millwood High School Last Year as a Junior, I transfered From a different school district unknowing of how Unprofessinal and uncaring most of the faculty is. I face the delimma of choosing whether to stay at Millwood High School or leaving.I have an overall Grade point average of 3.5 so I came to millwood flabbergasted by its curriculum. Although there are some teachers that do actually teach you others sit back and watch the class take over. There are actually a small percentage of students at Millwood that want and deserve a better education, but that is highly neglected due to pupils that disrupt class and make learning a difficult task. Millwood seems to focus more on extra curricular activities than anything else. If the effort that is put into Extracurricular activities shifted to effort in education the number of students that graduate having to take remedial college courses would drop significantly!

Posted April 26, 2004

I graduated as valedictorian from Millwood in 1997 and was extremely prepared for college. I went into engineering and was better prepared than many students who attended magnet engineering prep. schools. I never needed any remdial or low level preperation courses. I did well in college and have gone on to do well in coporate America. Millwood undoubtedly provided me with a solid foundation for success (I was in the Millwood School System from 2nd grade through graduation).

Posted August 25, 2003

As a recent graduate of Millwood High, I can honestly say that this school did not prepare me for college. Despite graduating with high honors, I was signifigantly behind the rest of my college class. I especially have trouble in mathematics, and I think it is safe to say that approximately 90 percent of my graduating class has the same problem. The majority of us had to take remedial math classes, which cost us valuable time and money. If I knew the things then that I know now, I would have attended a different high school.

Posted August 10, 2003

I think that Millwood HS quality of education is not where it should be. The level of education recieved by the students will surely heighten if the the school would higher more experienced teachers and the attitudes of students about their own future would change. These days, many of the students that lack self-control MHS are not concerned with their behavior or the feelings of other classmates that have actually come to school to gain knowledge.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 2%
Native American 0% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 190%N/A61%
Special education 212%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6718 North Martin Luther King Avenue