Briarwood Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 653 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 21, 2013

A MESSAGE FROM GREATSCHOOLS: We are deeply saddened to hear about the massive tornado that tore through the community of Moore, OK on Monday 5/20/13 devastating homes, businesses and schools. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Briarwood Elementary School community. Out of respect for the families, teachers, and school at large, we are temporarily suspending the publication of new comments submitted by the public about this school. You may still submit 'reviews' but please be advised that they will be held and subject to review by our editors for consideration at a later date. All reviews must adhere to our guidelines. Again, all of us here at GreatSchools send our sincere condolences and sympathy to those affected by the severe weather in Moore, OK and surrounding areas. We salute the many people working to provide emergency assistance.

Posted October 31, 2012

I am a parent of a third grader transferring here from Okmulgee school district, We are new to the area . My child will be attending Brairwood this year. At first I was very skeptical of a new shool. After reading the reviews I admit I have gained more trust just reading the reviews. Thank you parents.

Posted March 24, 2010

Our girls are in the 5th and 3rd grade. We love Briarwood. They have been there since day one and we wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Posted September 28, 2009

Very organized and devoted to teaching the students the value of dedication and concentration of disciplend study.

Posted September 6, 2009

I love Briarwood! i wouldn't want my children going anywhere else!!

Posted November 28, 2007

I have to say, we love Briarwood! My child was in Kindergarten last year in Mrs. Whiteheads Class and did wonderful, we had a few bumps along the way but the end results were Fantastic! Now my child is in 1st grade with Mrs. Lowe and Boy oh Boy do we love her! She is such a wonderful Teacher, very patient and kind. Dr Autry the Principal is also a very nice Lady, she is out and about every morning says Hi to everyone, and I think she just about Knows every childs name and greets them as she sees them every morning. I will have to admit, this is Mr. Tuppers 1st year at this school, he is the Vice Principal. 2 out of 3 times meeting him I had nothing really good to say about him, the 3rd time we talked was a tiny bit better!

Posted May 30, 2007

I really like Briarwood. The principle is the best. She's very involved and very friendly

Posted January 27, 2007

My child has gotten off to a great start at Briarwood. The teacher's that she has had for Kindergarten and 1st Grade are A+. I am impressed with the fact that Briarwood has the option to put my child in a looping program(Ex: Same teacher 1st and 2nd Grade). Which shows me how dedicated Briarwood's teachers are to their students learning environment. Dr. Autry and her Assistant Principal Ms. Hill show great leadership and are well liked according to my daughter-Who walks up to them daily to say Hi!

Posted November 3, 2006

Briarwood has been a wonderful experience. I have two children attending the school who are heavily involved in many of the opportunities affording kids in an A+ school environment. The 4th grade group of teachers and Mrs. Whitehead have been very responsive to questions I have had through meetings or email communication. My husband and I have considered moving to a larger home but our biggest drawback is wanting to remain close in proximity to the positive school environment. Problems will occur anywhere. Briarwood offers a principal available to hear your concerns and a teaching staff to help with problems.

Posted January 25, 2006

I can't believe the parent that said they had to put their child in private school. They must be a very picky parent or have a very bad child. So far all is well at Briarwood...the teachers are wonderful and my two daughters are both doing great! All the neighborhood parents & kids I know really love the school and it has scored very high over all in academics....the reading program is much excelled for a public school. I could not ask for more. Mrs. Vaughn (1st grade) and Mrs. Watson Kindergarten are both the best!

Posted January 25, 2006

This school is the best - we have attended Red Oak and Briarwood both of which we really enjoyed. I have to say I never seen the principal at Red Oak but Dr Autrey is always around, smiling and saying hello to everyone at Briarwood, a lot of the time she is even in the crosswalk. The teachers are great. Briarwood is great! Moore schools are the best in general!

Posted August 5, 2005

My daughter began attending this past January 2005 and was able to go from A's and B's to all A's and was on the Principals' Honor Roll for the second semester. It took my daughter a little while to get used to their procedures and rules and had some misunderstandings being a new student but worked out just fine with a little time! The faculty does an excellent job teaching and I find this school to be an excellent one with good leadership. The school is very parent-supported and strive to assist the education of our students in any way they can. As a teacher in Moore Schools I find alot of times parents give negative reports due to misunderstanding and lack of communication and working with their school. Alot of problems can be solved if both parents and teachers will work together!

Posted November 4, 2004

We had to move our kids to a private school because the principal does not enforce the rules of the school district. to be specific, bullying, harassment by other kids. she is just worried about test scores that make her look good. there have been alot of kids leave that school. moore schools are becoming overcrowded due to new homes and are therefore overcrowded, and overrated. wakeup moore school board and fix it before you mess up all the kids.

Posted August 26, 2003

Briarwood definitely puts our children first. The Principal and teachers make every effort to make sure that the children have the highest quality of education. I really love the emphasis they have put on reading. The Accelerated Reader program has allowed the children to enjoy reading, while earning extra points. It gives the children a better sense of accomplishment. Our principal, Dr Autry, knows every child by name. She makes each child and parent feel a part of the school. Being part of The Briarwood Family is an awesome experience.

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

73 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

74 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

70 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

68 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

81 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

81 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

83 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

85 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

66 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2012.

66 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Asian 2% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 39%N/A61%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

14901 South Hudson