Sooner Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 549 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 24, 2013

This is a horrible school. I have left two previous comments that somehow are not showing up on this website...hmm. When our son was born, we took him to a private school/daycare for a few years. We were SO excited when he graduated kindergarten because he could go to this school and I wouldn't have to drive so far to pick him up/ drop him off. We were excited until he started school. He kept getting red lights all of the time for talking in the hallway or during lunch. When he got a red light, he had to stay in a"time out" during recess which meant that he had to remain quiet. All day he was forbidden to speak and expected to sit in his seat. His teacher was never there. There was a substitute teacher usually 2 or 3 days out of a 5 day school week which means that there was no consistency at all. After two months we started looking for private schools and he started attending a wonderful school that was over an hour round trip from our house. After about two years of going to that school we were able to buy a new house with a wonderful school. I regret not moving sooner because he had to do a lot of work to make up for the three months he attended Sooner.

Posted May 17, 2013

My child's experience has been great at Sooner! I understand and agree that improvement can always be made - I really miss field trips, what happened to those?! - I also understand the pressures that the teachers and administrators face from the school district and state board of education to test well, sometimes at the expense of the overall learning experience. I also firmly believe that the level of parent involvement directly correlates to a successful student. My child is not an academically gifted student, she is average. She is neither punished nor singled out because she isn't stellar. She does work hard (most of the time) and she loves her school. She is treated well because she treats others with respect. We too had a bullying issue at one point, and it was handled fairly and satisfactorily. End of story. The staff can be curt, but they aren't there to be your friends. They are there to do a job and that is to keep 500 children healthy and safe on a daily basis. The teachers at Sooner are like teachers everywhere in the public education system, you have bad ones, you have good ones, and you have great ones. The new principal has breathed fresh life into the school.

Posted May 16, 2013

The secretaries are rude and condescending. My child's teacher does not return calls or emails. There is little communication and not worth the one star it was given. Short notice is given when kids need to have items brought to school for class projects. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 9, 2013

Terrible school :bullying is a regular practice . Last scholastic year, 2012, the principal was removed because she ignored a Hispanic girl that was beaten by her peers but the new Principal together withe the teachers still ignoring the bullying in the hall, classroom, cafeteria of that school. Sad very sad situation for some minorities and other kids. Parents are not welcome there!!!

Posted March 9, 2013

Parents are not allow to go to the classroom or cafeteria. if I want to eat with my son it is going to be in front to the principal office, not in the cafeteria, so I can observe nothing unusual. The secretaries in the front desk are good for nothing, very rude and so the counselor, who is zero to the left . Since last week my son don't want to talk to me about his school bullying because then the other kids call him momyboy and the teacher call him a gossipy...! We are planning for my son to attend a private school as soon as two days or so. My son has to move out from this unsafe and emotional insane place . It is not way to change mentalities like the staff from that school, if you love your kids be far away from Sooner Elementary School, if your kids already attending that school and you have not choice for moving out or pay a private school maybe you have a god case in the court

Posted August 27, 2012

Yes, the have been many leaks resulting in a lot of mold inside the classrooms.

Posted July 26, 2012

Utterly disappointed! My daughter was always that kid who wouldn't stay home from school even if sick until we moved into this district. She begged to stay home everyday and I couldn't understand why... Until I took a voluntary leadership position at the school. The principal is rude and demeaning to the kids but ALL smiles around the parents. She leads by intimidation. Teachers are often in the hallway on their cellphones or chit chatting once the day begins and parents leave. Probably one of the reasons she does not allow parent volunteers in the classrooms! The kids get absolutely zero time to let out energy, have to remain silent in the halls and at lunch, and inside recess due to inclement weather consists of MORE schoolwork done in silence - no fun at all! Additionally, there's mold in that school that gets covered up constantly with paint. After my term was over I home schooled my kid until we were able to find renters for our home and get out of dodge. LOVE the new school and absolutely no problems with phantom stomachaches and illnesses in order to stay home. She actually smiles and anticipates the next day... Whew! Glad we escaped.

Posted December 1, 2011

I have submitted a review already, but I just wanted to say that I would have to agree with the other parents....I don't think they get enough time to stretch or talk...I realize it is school, but that is a long day for them to not get to have some time to socialize and stretch. I think after lunch they get about 20 minutes for recess and I don't agree with the having to sit quiet with a book in the line for the bus and if they don't they get in trouble. They are kids! We had some friends leave Sooner and said their kids get more free time and get to talk at lunch and even eat outside if the weather is nice and that her boys are both doing much better in school. It does need to be a time for learning, but I do think it doesn't have to be that strict. As far as the office staff goes....I think you get what you give...I have always loved the ladies in the office, but I am nice to them. I have had friends who have had issues with them, but I know them well enought to know they they probably aren't being very friendly themselves.

Posted October 14, 2011

I love this school I picked my house based on it being in sooners district. My kids enjoy going and I'm glad it's very structured I think that only helps my child's education more. My kids have been there since kindergarten and they will continue to be there until jr high. It upsets me to read the other comments parents are writing because it makes me realize how little they are involved in their childs school and education because I can almost guarantee those parents have never spent more than a few min in the office or school. The office staff is great they all have very thankless jobs, they give more to the kids and school then most parents do. I suggest those who want to judge go walk a day in there shoes and see if you don't always walk around with a smile! I would like to say thank you to Robin, Cathy, mrs batton and mrs Chuculate ya'll are wonderful and I'm proud to say this school would not be this great without every one of you!!!:)

Posted September 27, 2011

The best word I could use to describe this school is disappiontment. The office is staff is less than friendly. The children are not allowed to talk at lunch. As for the reason they use, "how will we hear who is choking," my question is well how many kids have choked? And I do believe choking is silent. So even if the lunch room is quiet how will you know? When are the kids allowed to relax, if not at lunch, the few minutes during recess?? My child seems to have been singled out this year by the teacher in a not so good way. I look forward to being able to put my child in a school that cherishes their job of molding little lives, and teaching the kids that learning can be fun. Both of these are lacking in this school. I am sorry that some parents are not pleasent however that is not a good reason to pass it on to the kids and or visitors.

Posted August 17, 2011

I have been teaching at this school for several years now and I have found this school to be professional and very concerned about each and every student. After reading some of the comments I find some parents being critical about rules they may not understand. There are reasons behind every guideline in a public school to keep our students safe. One example is the reason for not talking during lunch is they are limited to how much time they have plus teachers need to be able to hear in case some one is choking on their food. I believe our prinicipal and faculty care very much about each of our students and do all they can to provide an excellent education. Our office staff is very dedicated and spend extra as needed to finish projects to keep our school running smoothly. What the comments do not show is the parents who are very rude and disrespectful to the office staff or who actually encourage their students to show disrespect to the teachers. We have a great school and I am proud to be a part and would hope all students will receive the education to they need to be all they can be in life!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 2, 2011

My daughter just completed 2nd grade(3rd year at Sooner) with the most amazing teacher!!!!! We have had several amazing teachers....We COULD NOT of asked for a better teacher for Kindergarten....to this day she still admires her.....I thank her daily for such a great year! I think all the teachers and teachers aides at Sooner are a great group. They really seem to love teaching the kids and seem to really work hard with the kids education! I have gotten to know several of the teachers on a personal level and couldn't ask for a better group of role models for my daughter!!!! The office gals so an amazing job keeping the school safe...I truly feel safe having my daughter there...they make sure everyone checks in at the office and gets a sticker(even me who is there almost daily).....I also have to give a BIG thumbs up to those that do the car rider line everyday....they are amazing....they are friendly....they keep the line moving...make sure the kiddos get to the right car and do it safe and seem to really enjoy it(even on those rainy nasty days they are all bundled up walking from car to car!).....my family has been truly blessed the past 3 years!!!!!

Posted May 2, 2011

I have only good things to say about Sooner Elementary. The office staff has been very helpful in answering questions I have. I am also happy with what my daughter has learned this year. Her teacher was great at keeping me updated on the things that were going on during the day. The times I was around the principal, she was very nice. My daughter likes her principal and adores all the teachers. I try to be involved in my daughter's education as much as possible and it has always been beneficial. As a military family, this is my daughter's 3 school in our 3rd state. I have been happy with all of her schools, including Sooner!

Posted March 26, 2011

I feel sad for the students and families who have to attend Sooner Elementary. The students are not treated respectfully. They are yelled at, talked down to, and even humiliated infront of their own peers by teachers at this school. The principal, the front secretary, the counselor, and sadly many of the teachers have a horrible attitude. The negative tone of the school has been set by the principal and has continued to be carried out by the majority of the staff. They do not seem to enjoy their jobs or children. The principal and front secretary never smile and can be very rude to parents and students who enter the office. The counselor is gruff and not very nurturing. There is a group of teachers who are more concerned with how tan they are, what designer purse they carry, and what reality TV show they watched than with the education of their students. Students are not allowed to talk at lunch or dismissal. The poor bus students are made to sit completely silent until their bus arrives. If they are sitting quietly, but don't have a book out to read, they are yelled at for not having a book. With such a negative environment, i am surprised that the district has not intervened.

Posted November 4, 2010

This school is horrible!!! I wish I could move, and I will as soon as I can. My child went from being a straight A student who loved school to a student who is making many F's on her work. She tells me daily that she does not like this school and that she wants to go back to her old school. I have asked several other parents of children from the same grade and they told me that their child is doing poorly also. The staff is rude and the school is so strict, my daughter told me that you can not talk at all during lunch...what?? Lunch should be enjoyable. This school is the type to make kids hate school and homework. What a joke of a school...really. Wish I could rate it a 0 out of 5.

Posted September 15, 2010

It has been a month into Sooner and there have been issues already. My son went to a private preschool from the age of 3 until Kindergarten last year. He was reading books and doing addition by the end of the school year. I know not all of the children in 1st grade had the oportunity to go to a private school for three years but it has been a very slow start to the year. They are doing simple addition (count the ticks) and my son is so bored that he talks, alot. Two weeks into school his teacher elluded that my son has ADHD because he talks so much. We were called into a meeting this week with the principle where they said that he is ADHD. I had him tested yesterday and they said that he not ADHD, he's bored. He needs stimulation not double red lights. Jeez

Posted October 27, 2009

This year is my childrens second year at Sooner Elementary. My children are in 4th and 5th grade this year. They are unorganized with their school work. All of my childrens' teachers work together to help them learn to be responsible and better organized. The teachers really care about helping them succeed. The office staff can be abrubt at time but then they can also be verry pleasant. They stay busy. I feel that this schools' strict policy will help my children throughout their life. Children must be molded for the future. The strict security at this school is a relief. I feel my children are safe at this school.

Posted February 26, 2009

Some of the office staff can be rude and I can not stand the fact that I feel like they treat me like an outcast I am a parent just like any other parent there so I should get the same treatment... I love the 2nd grade teachers they are great... If I could move I would...

Posted February 24, 2009

I have 5 children, and I loved every school they ever went to except this one. We sold our home and move to another school in Moore district, because I was tired of dealing with the principle. If you ask for a transfer, they make it as hard as they can on you.

Posted February 7, 2008

I personally love this school. I have taken the time and interest to get to know each and every one of the teachers, who now mostly know me by first name [even the ones who do not teach one of my three children] and they are always warm and friendly. I think that may be because I have taken the time to reach out to them! I am sure it gets old dealing with an 'I need' attitude all the time! I rate the faculty, office staff, cafeteria staff, even janitors 5 solid stars! Thank you Sooner Faculty and staff for taking the time for each of my students... two of which are c-average students, that are not treated any less like an individual! If anything, I have a team of teachers for one of my children that has gone above and beyond their 'job' description! Thanks to you all!

The state average for Math was 74% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2011-2012 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, grades 5 and 8 in science and writing, grade 5 in social studies, grade 7 in geography, and grade 8 in U.S. history and government. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 68% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 91% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2012.

Asian 3% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A61%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5420 S.E. 89th