Oklahoma City, OK

Posted September 24, 2013
This is a horrible school. I have left two previous comments that somehow are not showing up on this website...hmm. When our son was born, we took him to a private school/daycare for a few years. We were SO excited when he graduated kindergarten because he could go to this school and I wouldn't have to drive so far to pick him up/ drop him off. We were excited until he started school. He kept getting red lights all of the time for talking in the hallway or during lunch. When he got a red light, he had to stay in a"time out" during recess which meant that he had to remain quiet. All day he was forbidden to speak and expected to sit in his seat. His teacher was never there. There was a substitute teacher usually 2 or 3 days out of a 5 day school week which means that there was no consistency at all. After two months we started looking for private schools and he started attending a wonderful school that was over an hour round trip from our house. After about two years of going to that school we were able to buy a new house with a wonderful school. I regret not moving sooner because he had to do a lot of work to make up for the three months he attended Sooner.

Sooner Elementary School 4

Posted May 17, 2013
My child's experience has been great at Sooner! I understand and agree that improvement can always be made - I really miss field trips, what happened to those?! - I also understand the pressures that the teachers and administrators face from the school district and state board of education to test well, sometimes at the expense of the overall learning experience. I also firmly believe that the level of parent involvement directly correlates to a successful student. My child is not an academically gifted student, she is average. She is neither punished nor singled out because she isn't stellar. She does work hard (most of the time) and she loves her school. She is treated well because she treats others with respect. We too had a bullying issue at one point, and it was handled fairly and satisfactorily. End of story. The staff can be curt, but they aren't there to be your friends. They are there to do a job and that is to keep 500 children healthy and safe on a daily basis. The teachers at Sooner are like teachers everywhere in the public education system, you have bad ones, you have good ones, and you have great ones. The new principal has breathed fresh life into the school.

Posted May 16, 2013
The secretaries are rude and condescending. My child's teacher does not return calls or emails. There is little communication and not worth the one star it was given. Short notice is given when kids need to have items brought to school for class projects. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted March 09, 2013
Terrible school :bullying is a regular practice . Last scholastic year, 2012, the principal was removed because she ignored a Hispanic girl that was beaten by her peers but the new Principal together withe the teachers still ignoring the bullying in the hall, classroom, cafeteria of that school. Sad very sad situation for some minorities and other kids. Parents are not welcome there!!!

Posted March 09, 2013
Parents are not allow to go to the classroom or cafeteria. if I want to eat with my son it is going to be in front to the principal office, not in the cafeteria, so I can observe nothing unusual. The secretaries in the front desk are good for nothing, very rude and so the counselor, who is zero to the left . Since last week my son don't want to talk to me about his school bullying because then the other kids call him momyboy and the teacher call him a gossipy...! We are planning for my son to attend a private school as soon as two days or so. My son has to move out from this unsafe and emotional insane place . It is not way to change mentalities like the staff from that school, if you love your kids be far away from Sooner Elementary School, if your kids already attending that school and you have not choice for moving out or pay a private school maybe you have a god case in the court

Posted August 27, 2012
Yes, the have been many leaks resulting in a lot of mold inside the classrooms.

Sooner Elementary School 2

Posted July 26, 2012
Utterly disappointed! My daughter was always that kid who wouldn't stay home from school even if sick until we moved into this district. She begged to stay home everyday and I couldn't understand why... Until I took a voluntary leadership position at the school. The principal is rude and demeaning to the kids but ALL smiles around the parents. She leads by intimidation. Teachers are often in the hallway on their cellphones or chit chatting once the day begins and parents leave. Probably one of the reasons she does not allow parent volunteers in the classrooms! The kids get absolutely zero time to let out energy, have to remain silent in the halls and at lunch, and inside recess due to inclement weather consists of MORE schoolwork done in silence - no fun at all! Additionally, there's mold in that school that gets covered up constantly with paint. After my term was over I home schooled my kid until we were able to find renters for our home and get out of dodge. LOVE the new school and absolutely no problems with phantom stomachaches and illnesses in order to stay home. She actually smiles and anticipates the next day... Whew! Glad we escaped.

Sooner Elementary School 5

Posted December 01, 2011
I have submitted a review already, but I just wanted to say that I would have to agree with the other parents....I don't think they get enough time to stretch or talk...I realize it is school, but that is a long day for them to not get to have some time to socialize and stretch. I think after lunch they get about 20 minutes for recess and I don't agree with the having to sit quiet with a book in the line for the bus and if they don't they get in trouble. They are kids! We had some friends leave Sooner and said their kids get more free time and get to talk at lunch and even eat outside if the weather is nice and that her boys are both doing much better in school. It does need to be a time for learning, but I do think it doesn't have to be that strict. As far as the office staff goes....I think you get what you give...I have always loved the ladies in the office, but I am nice to them. I have had friends who have had issues with them, but I know them well enought to know they they probably aren't being very friendly themselves.

Sooner Elementary School 5

Posted October 14, 2011
I love this school I picked my house based on it being in sooners district. My kids enjoy going and I'm glad it's very structured I think that only helps my child's education more. My kids have been there since kindergarten and they will continue to be there until jr high. It upsets me to read the other comments parents are writing because it makes me realize how little they are involved in their childs school and education because I can almost guarantee those parents have never spent more than a few min in the office or school. The office staff is great they all have very thankless jobs, they give more to the kids and school then most parents do. I suggest those who want to judge go walk a day in there shoes and see if you don't always walk around with a smile! I would like to say thank you to Robin, Cathy, mrs batton and mrs Chuculate ya'll are wonderful and I'm proud to say this school would not be this great without every one of you!!!:)

Sooner Elementary School 2

Posted September 27, 2011
The best word I could use to describe this school is disappiontment. The office is staff is less than friendly. The children are not allowed to talk at lunch. As for the reason they use, "how will we hear who is choking," my question is well how many kids have choked? And I do believe choking is silent. So even if the lunch room is quiet how will you know? When are the kids allowed to relax, if not at lunch, the few minutes during recess?? My child seems to have been singled out this year by the teacher in a not so good way. I look forward to being able to put my child in a school that cherishes their job of molding little lives, and teaching the kids that learning can be fun. Both of these are lacking in this school. I am sorry that some parents are not pleasent however that is not a good reason to pass it on to the kids and or visitors.

Sooner Elementary School
5420 Southeast 89th Street, Oklahoma City, OK  73135
Last modified Sooner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sooner Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top