Okmulgee High School

Public | 9-12 | 380 students

Posted March 4, 2010

my child has moved out of okmulgee schools for her freshman i think that as she has moved from primary to elementary to jr high the school here got worse. so decided to move her i want her to have a better education and not to get in trouble with the laws as other class mates in okmulgee has. when my other children get other and for thier freshman year i plan to move them schools as well. my daughter has madde many improvments already in the second semester at her new school.

Posted November 27, 2009

I am very proud of Okmulgee Schools for all of their accomplishments. I am pleased to say my children attend school in Okmulgee. Please get a principal that is proud also, that's all we really need. One of the outstanding high school teachers should step up. OHS needs a principal that loves the high school more than anyone and who will stay with it for a long time to come...

Posted November 27, 2009

I like Okmulgee School System. I transfered when my mom got remarried and I'd do almost anything to be back there. I'm proud to say that's where I'm from, Okmulgee, Small Town USA

Posted November 27, 2009

It's very saddening to read all of your terrible reviews. Okmulgee is a wonderful school. No, they haven't always had the best reputation but on the inside it is amazing. There are teachers there, that really care about the kids and enjoy when they succeed. I am glad that I attended such a great school. I love the small town, frindly atmosphere that still resides there today.

Posted November 27, 2009

I love the teachers at the schools who have successfully dedicated their lives to helping our kids. Every school has it's ups and downs, why not look at everything good that has come out of your experience at Okmulgee.

Posted August 10, 2009

This is the worst school system I have ever seen as a parent! My son went here half of his freshman year and all of his sophmore year. In my experience the teachers don't care! I had to call the principal in order to get the teachers to return my emails an phone calls as a parent just tryi g to touch basis with the teachers. I believe some students can make there but for the most part, it does not prepare the students for college. It is not a positive learning environment. Some of the staff is just rude! I think some of those teachers hate their jobs! There are fights all the time and it prepares students for failure. It's the worst I have ever seen! My son told me they did not even have a nurse on staff! So add broke! To all of that!!!

Posted May 22, 2009

I personally think Okmulgee schools are low in the education field. The thing I hated the most is that I really did love school, but I couldn't learn anything because I was one of those students who needed a little extra help in subjects, but they wouldn't listen to me. It didn't help that I am a shy and timid girl. It was very annoying that I could only really understand a subject/problem when it is broken-down and explain step-by-step to me and not many teachers wanted to take the time to do that for me, but it is my fault too because I didn't really assert myself to getting help. As much as I hate to admit it I don't even see how I passed the 5th grade. So at the moment I am thinking of alternative schooling situations.

Posted October 20, 2008

My daughter graduated from Okmulgee high. She had no problems with teachers or calss mates she loved school.She went on to continue her education at OU and graduated with a Dr degree in Pharmacy.My grandchildren are now attending Okmulgee Schools and they are doing fine.I have one grandson attending okmulgee high and he is loving it.I think it is the parents fault that the children dont respect the teachers. My children know that a education is a once in a life time experience.I am on top of what happens at school .So parents get involved with your childrens education.

Posted February 5, 2008

I graduate from Okmulgee high School in 2007! I was Band King! and Prom King! I think Okmulgee was a good school! and I love it And Miss It! I cant wait to go back sooo i can teach there! Anthony 'peeWee' Roberts

Posted December 14, 2007

I made the mistake of getting a teaching job at OHS. I came in with a difficult curriculum which demanded that the students came to class prepared to learn every day (or just come to class every day at the least). I was surprised to find that the students would flat out refuse to do any work. I had a very high failure rate because students would willingly take zeros, and according to the superintendent of the district it is the teacher s fault that the students do no work. The students have zero respect for authority and could care less if they get suspended. Needless to say I only stayed there one year before I went to a better district.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 29, 2006

Listing Okmulgee High School on 'greatschools.com' is a misnomer in itself. OHS offers nothing in the way of college preperation unless you plan on majoring in Incompetent, with a minor in Illiterate Apathy. For the most part, the faculty expects nothing of the studens, and it is almost harder to fail classes than it is to pass them. Even Hellen Keller would've made gestures indicating laughter if she saw, or felt, how easily the curriculum could be completed. At least the school takes great strides in integration. The mentally challenged kids are bundled together with the students who actually want to learn something. Who cares? Nobody seems to notice.

Posted January 11, 2006

I attended Okmulgee High, I dont' recall many problems, but then again I was one the the popular kids into sports and well off in the class room. Okmulgee does get a bad rap, but overall I think it was a good school. For myself, I wouldn't send my kids there, I think they can be challenged to their full potential at a different school.

Posted October 10, 2005

i went to okmulgee high school and hated it. the teachers did not want to teach and it was all about football and sports. racism was a huge thing, of course they arent going to tell you that. I was asked to do drugs from students several times and was invited to drink on a daily basis. Sex is a big thing and skipping school also. I dont think okmulgee has anything to offer. its a small town with nothing for teenagers to do. except get in trouble. Visit unexpecitdly for yourself youll see. it may look nice. one thing is that i loved my band teacher. other than that if i would have had my way i would have went to a different school in a different town. okmulgee think about your teens and what they are doing? are you keeping them off the street?

Posted August 23, 2005

Reading these reviews I have to say some of it is true but being a grad in the 2005 class I have to say alot of this is not true they have some really great teachers and the fights are not as many as people think the school gets a bad rep from other places because they see bad things happen from a few students, drugs are not an issue so much at OHS and racism is low the students population is really diverse and they hold together I never had a problem at the High School and neither did my older brother, we have a sister still at the High School and she has never had problems either.

Posted November 8, 2004

I am a graduate from Okmulgee High School. I now attend a creditable University out of state. I now realize that my high school lacked alot of educational and disciplinary values that would have helped me be better prepared for college. The curriculum was not by any means challenging for the average students. Teachiong students how to study should be a priority for the teachers. Although I had some wonderful teachers that helped me develop into a responsible young adult, I believe the entire staff should be just as commited to improving each student individually as those select few.

Posted December 8, 2003

My child is still in Okmulgee Primary, but the overall quality of education in all the schools seems to be lacking teaching ability and the safety and discipline in the High School and Middle school seems to be a big problem. Seriously considering sending him to a smaller school.

Posted August 10, 2003

There is not enough security. As a parent of a child who attends Okmulgee high, she has told me about the fights. 33 last year. There are drugs in the school, there are weapons brought to school. They had to go down to 2 security guards. A lot of racial issues go on between the kids.

Posted March 12, 2003

There are a few extraordinary teachers at this school and the classes they offer have the potential to be on one of the highest levels in the state. Unfortunately, many of the teachers do not take their job seriously and discipline is lax. Also, there are many confusing policies. For example, the current attendance policy and the dress code.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

70 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Native American 28% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 181%N/A61%
Special education 220%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

• Jeremy Ramsey

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

415 West 3rd Street