Ator Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 1, 2014

We moved to Ator with my daughter starting 4th grade. It was very disappointing. Daughter had been at the top of her class, but at Ator was severely struggling. I found out why when I met her teachers. They were mostly witches, not helpful at all. It was toughest year for us in school. 5th grade was much better. 6th and 7th went great. My daughter responds to how her teachers treat her. When she likes the teacher she works hard. 4th grade was terrible.

Posted January 29, 2014

My child struggles a bit with work assignments. He has a hard time focusing. I I requested a meeting with all three teachers and we discussed a plan to help him/ the teachers out. My child still has so many missing assignment papers sent home monthly. I don't understand how it's OKAY to not turn in your work! Teachers call me from time to time but I don't sit in that class and monitor his everyday activities. My son stay in trouble At home always grounded. I need a better solution and with the level of education Oklahoma is ranked these teachers do to. I am not blaming the teachers. The education system needs help. And student teacher ratios are ridiculous .

Posted October 1, 2013

My son attended 2nd grade at Ator and it was disappointing to say the least. His teacher was uncommunicative and over-bearing. Never let me get a word in edgewise. My son was receiving special ed services in another state and lost them after testing at Ator. After being told my son didn't need services and he was doing great, I was told two weeks later that he should just be held back a year and he was not ready for 3rd grade. Needless to say we moved away and my son has been much better for it. 3rd grade is going great!

Posted April 17, 2012

My little sister has been going to this school for the last 8 months & she does NOT like it at all. Her teacher is alright, but she's terrified of continuing on into the 5th grade for fear of teachers yelling & screaming! She has heard the horror stories from other students about how awful they can be & It just breaks my heart! She wishes she could go back to Larkin Bailey (She LOVED it there!) but now that we've moved, her only option is go to this school because of the transportation situation.. She has to take the bus. IF ONLY they had nicer teachers... =(

Posted August 3, 2011

(1)Large lack of communication between teachers and parents. (2)Although the teachers say no homework, there is always AR reading, AR math, spelling words, spelling contracts and the weekly reader story outside of class along with any other assigned work. There is ALWAYS homework.

Posted January 13, 2010

Children that attend Owasso are more likely to obtain scholarships but that is for the higher up grades. As for Ator, it has a wonderful principal, Ms Bishline, very friendly and appoachable. My only complaints is the class size (24-1 seems to be average). The lunch room is tiny so kids rotate starting at 10am for lunch. Starting with the kindergarteners and 1st graders, my kids no longer eat breakfast because if they do they won't be hungry for lunch and then spend the rest of the school day hungry, so the trade off is they go to school hungry for the first 2 hours. They should start with the older kids and give the youngest the noon slot. They constantly push the kids for fundraising - every month if they aren't pushing a salespaper they are pushing things like candy and popcorn. Kids are guilted if they don't participate. Enough!

Posted May 7, 2009

My son has attended ator for two years. My biggest concerns are the lack of communication between parents and teachers and the amount of homework assigned.

Posted October 14, 2008

Very disappointed! My daughter is in special education and the communication with her teacher is horrible. We didn't even get a notice about when parent/teacher conferences were until the last day and by time we got home from work it was already done. I sent in a copy of her evaluation that was done over the summer and the teacher just put it in her file, the occupational therapist didn't even know there was one. We did have her in Kiefer and absolutely loved it! Supposedly Owasso was a much better school district, two years and I still haven't seen it!! Owasso is a very nice town to live in but the school system is amazingly inept.

Posted June 6, 2008

Over this is the best staff i have ever met. The principal and office staff are very friendly and helpful. The staff is concerned with the needs of the students.

Posted April 14, 2008

Growing up in Owasso, my two brothers and I attended Ator and now my children have all attended Ator also. I have one left in the 4th grade and I will miss Ator tremendously. I had a lot of issues with one of my sons and the treatment we got from the staff was exceptional, especially of Ms. Bishline. If you take the time to get involved you will see what a great school it is. There are many activities for your children and also for you as a parent to be in. If I were to move to a different district, I would beg them to let my daughter stay at Ator until she's out of elementary school.

Posted June 26, 2006

My son has been going to Ator since kindergarten and for the most part I have been happy with Ator. We had a couple of problems. I was told that he needed to go to T1 because he was barely 5 when he started school, even though he was reading short sentences and there was a problem with a teacher wanting to hold him back in 1st grade because of his age even though he was reading on a third grade level at the time. And this same teacher would not let her students advance to the next reading level, because she was trying to make model classroom. He is going into 5th now and doing fine. But the principle and staff are very nice and helpful. I do wish we could actually have a school nurse on campus and post our AR list online though.

Posted March 22, 2006

We moved from WI to OK a little over a year ago and my son was going into first grade. The Principal is very personable and really gets involved with the parents and kids. She calls every student by first name. We really enjoy ATOR and looking forward to our daughter attending kindergarten next year. The building could use some maintenance, but feel the staff has done well with an older facility. Most of the teachers are female and take time with each student one on one. I wish ATOR spent more time doing music programs like our last school for all classes.

Posted September 2, 2005

We have been at Ator for 4 years and are very dissapointed. We have decided to move our children to another school. The atmoshphere is cold and uninviting to parents. When you walk down the hall you can often hear teachers yelling at their students. Regarding extracurricular activities there are very few and none are done if a profit can not be made. The few fun activities they had have been stripped away over the last few years. Academically they meet the basics but do not go above that at all. They are forced to teach for the state test and that is the focus for 3/4 of the year. If you have other school options I would look into them.

Posted June 28, 2005

Our daughter has been attending Ator Elementary since First Grade and now prepares for Fifth Grade. To sum up the qualities and attributes that Ator Elementary brings students would start with great teachers, great communications skills, great inter-parent and inter-teacher meetings and an overall sense of going beyond expectations for a public school. As a parent I have participated in many events at Ator and they include; Book Fairs, Chili Cook Off, Leprechan Laps, Skip Rope For Heart, Bingo Fund Raiser, Super Kids Day and have even partipated with the teachers in audio and visual demonstrations that are linked to books that are being read. I fully give a 100% endorsement for Ator Elementary. Thank you, Aaron Poole Parent

Posted December 9, 2004

Having just moved to OK from another state and a school that we loved, we were worried about startin over with a new school. I have been nothing but pleased with Ator. I have a 5th grader and she has had homework, but not too much. She is learning to be organized, and responsible for her own work. I feel that the school is good about communicating to the parents what is happening there. The honor choir was a great opportunity, and we just could not be more pleased with our new school!

Posted November 24, 2004

Ator is a great school! I wouldn't send my child anywhere else! I have been in several elementary schools and I have never seen teachers work so hard to help their students acheive. Thank you Mrs. Bishline and all of the staff and faculty at Ator!

Posted March 12, 2004

My child has attended Ator for two years and we could not be happier with the school. Not only is my daughter receiving an excellent education, but she is also learning independence and responsibility (traits she did not learn at the private school she previously attended). In response to the other review I must say that I, as a parent, appreciate the fact that the staff does not allow parents to freely roam the halls. Unfortunately times have changed, and the safety of my child is far more important to me than my being able to visit a classroom. The teachers have always made time for me and I have always felt like my child was receiving their total support. She does have homework almost every night (which takes 15-30 minutes) but she is also testing at several years above her grade level. We love it at Ator!

Posted March 11, 2004

Having previously worked at an elementary school, I can admire and respect what it takes to run a school. My children absolutely love going to school every morning. I have nothing but praise for their teachers and Mrs. Bishline who runs a tight ship! The staff has always been friendly and courteous and I hate to see my eldest moving on to 6th grade! But I also feel that Ator has aided in a strong foundation for him to advance. The teachers and principal have always been readily available to me. I appreciate them and all they do! Thank you Ator!

Posted February 15, 2004

We have been very disappointed in Ator. The only good thing I have to say about Ator is that my children are getting an education there, but in my opinion there is a lot more to a good school other than test scores. Over all the general feel of the entire school is oppressing. The teachers are unfriendly and make no attempt to communicate with the parents. I feel like I am discouraged from visiting my childs class, due to rules about staying in the little tiled lobby area and forbidden to step onto the carpeted hallways that lead to my childrens' classroom. My second grader has homework every night which I think is ridiculous. My children hate it there, I'm even trying to move back to our old neighborhood so I can get them back into the school they attended previously.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Native American 16% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 152%N/A61%
Special education 214%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1500 North Ash