Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly agree

With the implementation of Great Expectations, we've seen a huge improvement in character building.

The principal and staff are always welcoming. They are at entrances for special events and conferences saying hello and offering to guide parents to the right places. My parents (my child's grandparents) even commented how warm the school felt when they went to a book fair event.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Anytime I've talked with a teacher about this very subject, whether as an advocate for my own child or someone else's, they have addressed it quickly. Very pleased on how they handle bullying.

We moved to Ator with my daughter starting 4th grade. It was very disappointing. Daughter had been at the top of her class, but at Ator was severely struggling. I found out why when I met her teachers. They were mostly witches, not helpful at all. It was toughest year for us in school. 5th grade was much better. 6th and 7th went great. My daughter responds to how her teachers treat her. When she likes the teacher she works hard. 4th grade was terrible.

My child struggles a bit with work assignments. He has a hard time focusing. I I requested a meeting with all three teachers and we discussed a plan to help him/ the teachers out. My child still has so many missing assignment papers sent home monthly. I don't understand how it's OKAY to not turn in your work! Teachers call me from time to time but I don't sit in that class and monitor his everyday activities. My son stay in trouble At home always grounded. I need a better solution and with the level of education Oklahoma is ranked these teachers do to. I am not blaming the teachers. The education system needs help. And student teacher ratios are ridiculous .

My son attended 2nd grade at Ator and it was disappointing to say the least. His teacher was uncommunicative and over-bearing. Never let me get a word in edgewise. My son was receiving special ed services in another state and lost them after testing at Ator. After being told my son didn't need services and he was doing great, I was told two weeks later that he should just be held back a year and he was not ready for 3rd grade. Needless to say we moved away and my son has been much better for it. 3rd grade is going great!

My little sister has been going to this school for the last 8 months & she does NOT like it at all. Her teacher is alright, but she's terrified of continuing on into the 5th grade for fear of teachers yelling & screaming! She has heard the horror stories from other students about how awful they can be & It just breaks my heart! She wishes she could go back to Larkin Bailey (She LOVED it there!) but now that we've moved, her only option is go to this school because of the transportation situation.. She has to take the bus. IF ONLY they had nicer teachers... =(

(1)Large lack of communication between teachers and parents. (2)Although the teachers say no homework, there is always AR reading, AR math, spelling words, spelling contracts and the weekly reader story outside of class along with any other assigned work. There is ALWAYS homework.

Children that attend Owasso are more likely to obtain scholarships but that is for the higher up grades. As for Ator, it has a wonderful principal, Ms Bishline, very friendly and appoachable. My only complaints is the class size (24-1 seems to be average). The lunch room is tiny so kids rotate starting at 10am for lunch. Starting with the kindergarteners and 1st graders, my kids no longer eat breakfast because if they do they won't be hungry for lunch and then spend the rest of the school day hungry, so the trade off is they go to school hungry for the first 2 hours. They should start with the older kids and give the youngest the noon slot. They constantly push the kids for fundraising - every month if they aren't pushing a salespaper they are pushing things like candy and popcorn. Kids are guilted if they don't participate. Enough!

My son has attended ator for two years. My biggest concerns are the lack of communication between parents and teachers and the amount of homework assigned.

Last modified Ator Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.