Shawnee Middle School 2

Posted October 22, 2014
I have a child at Shawnee High, BUT SMS is NOT what I want for my children. I have worked in several schools for outside agencies, so I've seen many schools from inner-city OKC to tiny schools in Pott. Co.) so I "get it". But, this school is FAR under-funded and the children do not get adequate support. Middle school is the most delicate time in a childs educational life. Its when kids tend to choose their social and educational "Path". In my opinion this is the school that needs the MOST resources and support, but they don't get it. The best things about this school is their school based social worker Theresa, the principal Mr. Cagle and the new building. The worse things: its crowded, many teachers are not very good, lack of resources, social norms. (Its not uncommon to hear about kids that attend here having sex and doing drugs.. Thats not something I want my kids around at that age. Some of the smaller schools: North Rock, South Rock, Grove and Pleasant Grove are better options. Not that kids that attend these schools never have sex and use drugs.. I'm sure it happens, but it isn't NEARLY as common, therefore its not accepted as "normal" like it seems to be at SMS.)

Posted September 13, 2013
We bought a beautiful home in Shawnee Oklahoma. I love our home and I was very excited about Shawnee school district due to what I read on the net. I enrolled my children with enthusiasm. I found this school to be lacking in the actual teaching. My child's grades went down. She struggled and was sent from one teacher to another when she asked for help. The run around was endless. They need solid teachers and a tutoring program. The teacher did NOT teach out of text books, I requested the materials from which my child was being taught algebra only to be DENIED. The teacher used work sheets only and refused to let them leave the class room. I specifically requested copies of these work sheets, I knew I could help her if I knew what they were doing. The work was rarely graded and was not allowed to brought home with a grade. I contacted the principle many times and nothing was done about this issue. My child was at a loss. She is now in a different school and she has an A in Algebra. I learned it was not my student failing in their system. Their system is failing the students. Before you choose this school, do your homework. There are other options for middle school here in Shawnee.

Shawnee Middle School 2

Posted September 13, 2013
This school has many extracurricular activities, that is a fact. However, the teachers are seriously lacking. The counselors only get irritated when you ask for help. We were not even taught out of a book in some classes. The work sheets were not allowed to be taken home so we could get help from someone else. It was a fail/fail system. There was no way for me to win here. The teachers were not organized and made up what they were going to teach, assign and actually grade as they went. Turning in the assignment did not mean credit would be given. The work was given but never taught. The students were often out of control. The learning environment was wretched. If you are looking for something fun to do, you will find a sport and the drama program is phenomenal! If you are truly looking for education, keep looking. They need discipline, teachers that teach with passion, and an over all system that is not shaky. Everyone needs to get on the same page and stay there. I love Shawnee! Shawnee High School is amazing! Shawnee Middle School simply lacks on the education end of things.

Posted February 01, 2010

Shawnee Middle School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
This is my daughters first year there and she really enjoys it. She is currently doing a fund raiser for choir and is just havin fun with it. She likes her teachers and the other students. Im just satisfide with her being happy and doing so well.

Posted July 25, 2009

Posted July 06, 2009
I think parents arent enough invovled and need to help out a ittle bit more when they have free time

Posted April 30, 2009
I dont believe the faculty does a good enough job encouraging. They have rules which only hamper students progress. I have a child there and it has made me want to move out of the school district.

Posted April 07, 2009

Shawnee Middle School 3

Posted November 12, 2008
I'm a student and i really enjoy Shawnee Middle School for the most part. I agree that there are some teachers that seem not to know what they are doing and seem very unorganized. The extracurricular activities are nice but i think we need to find a way to make more money for the school. Shawnee needs to find a way to make more money for the school system. I understand that our school just bought a room full of new apple computers, i don't think this was the best contribution of our money. The smart boards are the same, rarely any of my teachers use them, if they do it's sparingly. The apple computers alone costed more than 2000 dollars each. Overall I think the school is great, i might not agree with some things but i love that school.

Shawnee Middle School
4300 North Union Avenue, Shawnee, OK  74804
Last modified Shawnee Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shawnee Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top