Shawnee, OK
Students enrolled: 1,314

Posted January 21, 2014
I attended Shawnee high school after going to several schools in Maryland (1 private, 3 public). I graduated years ago but the experience I had at Shawnee high school was so much better than any other schools I attended. I went through college with straight A's and graduated law school. Only as an adult have I realize how unique this high school was- in the middle of Oklahoma, we had good teachers, my school counselor was the best, there were classes in French and Latin, and I never once saw anyone get beat up. Coming from public schools in Maryland - where there were several fights the day - that is saying something. Overall, a good school.

Shawnee High School 1

Posted September 06, 2013
I would discourage anyone who had ambition to attend a top university and enter a white collar professional career. I graduated from here, and felt unprepared when entering college. This is as far from college prep as you could imagine. In particular, the school was very weak with teaching writing skills, science and math. I had all honors classes. In my opinion, the honors classes were normal whereas the non-honors classes were a joke. The teaches who taught the honors classes were unqualified in my opinion. Most of them didn't receive degrees from reputable schools. I felt they were often petty and displayed favoritism toward certain students. The administration was petty, and would focus on punishing students for petty offenses. The student body was very conservative. I observed many racist, homophobic and religiously discriminatory remarks. The overwhelming majority of students came from middle to lower middle class families. There is also a significant evangelical Christian population at the school. I would recommend moving to OKC rather than subject your child to this school.

Posted December 15, 2012
Teachers are Awesome. They just not only teach well, but they are fun to talk to!.

Shawnee High School 2

Posted April 04, 2011
HORRIBLE DID NOT PREPARE ME FOR COLLEGE AND TEACHERS WERE MOSTLY COACHES. THEY DONT SEEM TO CARE ABOUT THE ACTUAL TEACHING PART. I WOULD NEVER PUT MY CHILD THROUGH THIS HIGH SCHOOL

Posted September 16, 2009
Education is intergrated with extra-cirrcular activities

Posted May 11, 2009
Shawnee is a great school offering a great education, If you know where to look. This being said make sure no matter what kind of student you son and or daughter is, make sure they enroll in pre-ap and AP classes not only will it look great for college but your student will be greatly prepared.

Posted April 20, 2006
I am the parent of a shawnee high senior and have been pleased with the quality of most of the teachers. There are many teachers who have a real interest in the future of their students and do everything they can to insure they are prepared for graduation and life in the realworld. The guidence coulselors have been ready, willing and able to help when ever they were needed. Our only contact with the coaching staff has been wresteling and soccer and they have made the high school sports experience positive for our son. Their security is above excellent the police officer assigned to the school is a positive influence on the students and not just a deterent.

Posted July 26, 2004
I am a student at Shawnee High School and I am proud to say that. I happen to know as a fact that our school is great, the teachers here are understanding and careing they really do a great job. The coaches are tough and firm but they are fun. Not to mention the guidance counselours they are the best part every time I have a tiny problem I run to them and they fix it like that. Let me just tell you that our Shawnee High School is awesome who better to hear it from than a student. So if you want to enjoy the real experience of high school come to Shawnee and you will see the commitment and I guarantee you will love it as I do. GOD BLESS!

Posted May 08, 2004
I am a current student at Shawnee High School, and I enjoy going there. The counselors here are great, and the teachers listen to what you have to say. We have excellent ratings in all of our sports programs. Our wonderful football team brought home the 5A State Championship this year (03-04). Our football players worked extremely hard to get to where they are right now, and they couldn't have made it this far if it weren't for the excellent coaches we have. We excel in all of the athletic activities at our school, and the students have worked very hard to get where they are. There are so many actvities offered like, Tr-Hi-Y, Hi-Y, The Asian Club, Chess Club, FCA, FFA, Band, Choir, and many more... I love going to Shawnee High, and it is where I plan on graduating.

Posted February 23, 2004
Actually, I'm not a parent. I'm a former student of Shawnee High School, and its is also my mother's alma mater. This school has many great teachers. Faculty who aren't afraid to spare their time to offer guidance to any student. During my high school years I lost my father and I found a lot of support at school from teachers and guidance counselors--without them I don't know if I would have made it though those tough years. And I can vouch that these teachers are not overpaid, Oklahoma teachers are among the least paid in the United States. These teachers also used a lot of their own money to fund educational material. I wouldn't have been happy at any other school.

Shawnee High School
1001 North Kennedy Avenue, Shawnee, OK  74801
Last modified Shawnee High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shawnee High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top