Tulsa, OK
Students enrolled: 1,318

Booker T. Washington High School 1

Posted September 03, 2012
I graduated in 2009, and my experience here was mixed. While I wouldn't go to any other school in the Tulsa area, if I could do it over again, I would NOT go back to BTW. The only thing I liked about this school was there was zero bullying from other students. No picking on anyone because they didn't wear the right clothes, or any of that nonsense. The staff at this school are completely apathetic. Counselors are supposed to help you, right? Well not here. My counselor told me not to apply to TU because she felt "I wouldn't succeed there." That's real good for an 18 year old's confidence. There's just no personal connection anywhere in this school. I don't know if that's the proper word choice. It just seems that everyone here (staff and most students) are more concerned with "school spirit" and football games, instead of empowering and helping each other grow. I had a few excellent teachers, but for the most part, they too were apathetic, and unhelpful.

Posted August 12, 2012
I'm an alum of BTW (Class of 1995) and the school has changed a lot over the years but I still believe it is one of the best high schools in the world and certainly the best in Oklahoma.

Booker T. Washington High School 3

Posted June 22, 2010
My son's counselor at BTW was not helpful with scheduling for his OHLAP program and the state had to 'overlook' the school's inept handling of his course in order for him to receive his scholarship. This was unecessary and we worked with the school diligently to see that he would be given the classes he needed. The counselor was indifferent and snide. I appreciate the state coming to our assistance. My son needed this scholarship and received it--no thanks to his counselor. Not ALL students are treated equally at BTW. There seems to be favoritism or a 'who's who' for the merit scholars and kids of middle class professionals who seem to get preference in class scheduling? We had to fight for our classes and rarely got what we wanted, were told 'there was plenty of time' or 'that the class was too hard --how insulting to my child!!

Booker T. Washington High School

Posted October 16, 2009
My son attended this school and received a quality education and mentoring from caring teachers! Top Notch!

Posted January 15, 2009
Booker T Washington is highly focused on student success and college preparation. Its International Baccalaureate program is tops in the State and highly valuable for college-bound students. On the downside, they waste too much curriculum and energy on drivel such as diversity but overall they provide an outstanding education. Our oldest was given 37 hours of credit at a top national university after graduating from BTW's IB program.

Booker T. Washington High School 4

Posted September 16, 2008
As a parent of a current sophomore, I have very much appreciated the quality of the academic and athletic experience. I do think the school could improve it's electronic communications with parents. There are schools in the area who do a good job of this with online tools, and I think BTW is a far better school than a Jenks or Berryhill. I hope the new principal will find better tools for parents to stay in touch with what is going on in the school, and in their student's classrooms. It shouldn't be as hard as it is currently.

Posted May 29, 2008
It gives me pride to say I attend Booker T. Washington High School, rather than some other school like Edison or Jenks. BTW has built its reputation on excellence through education as well as athletics. BTW is the number one school in Tulsa and number 65 on Newsweek's Top Public High Schools in America, compared to Jenks (#865) and Edison (#465). We have the top test scores in Oklahoma. As I said, our athletics are top notch as well. In the past year we have won the following state championships: Girl's Basketball, Boy's Basketball (2nd), Boy's soccer, Girl's soccer (2nd), Academic Bowl, Rugby, and Boy's Tennis (2nd). Not to mention, BTW students have the most school spirit around. I love Booker T.

Booker T. Washington High School 4

Posted August 08, 2007
BTW has an excellent academic program and has been recognized as a National Blue Ribbob School. The school is dedicated to educating all of its 1200+ students and preparing them for life choices.

Posted August 06, 2007
I am a student a BTW, and my freshmen year was my first year in Oklahoma. I was pretty skeptical at first as to if BTW was all that everyone in Tulsa makes it up to be. But once I got to the school and really understood what it is to be a hornet I fully understand what it is to have pride in the school that you attend. Especially if you get to go to a GREAT school like Booker T. Washington high school.

Posted February 24, 2007
I am an alumni of BTW. My daughter has always wanted to attend BTW. She is having the best year ever there! I would recommend BTW to any child. At BTW the student embrace diversity daily. I think BTW is a truly exceptional school.

Booker T. Washington High School
1514 East Zion Street, Tulsa, OK  74106
Last modified Booker T. Washington High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Booker T. Washington High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top