Booker T. Washington High School 1

Posted September 03, 2012
I graduated in 2009, and my experience here was mixed. While I wouldn't go to any other school in the Tulsa area, if I could do it over again, I would NOT go back to BTW. The only thing I liked about this school was there was zero bullying from other students. No picking on anyone because they didn't wear the right clothes, or any of that nonsense. The staff at this school are completely apathetic. Counselors are supposed to help you, right? Well not here. My counselor told me not to apply to TU because she felt "I wouldn't succeed there." That's real good for an 18 year old's confidence. There's just no personal connection anywhere in this school. I don't know if that's the proper word choice. It just seems that everyone here (staff and most students) are more concerned with "school spirit" and football games, instead of empowering and helping each other grow. I had a few excellent teachers, but for the most part, they too were apathetic, and unhelpful.

Posted August 12, 2012
I'm an alum of BTW (Class of 1995) and the school has changed a lot over the years but I still believe it is one of the best high schools in the world and certainly the best in Oklahoma.

Booker T. Washington High School 3

Posted June 22, 2010
My son's counselor at BTW was not helpful with scheduling for his OHLAP program and the state had to 'overlook' the school's inept handling of his course in order for him to receive his scholarship. This was unecessary and we worked with the school diligently to see that he would be given the classes he needed. The counselor was indifferent and snide. I appreciate the state coming to our assistance. My son needed this scholarship and received it--no thanks to his counselor. Not ALL students are treated equally at BTW. There seems to be favoritism or a 'who's who' for the merit scholars and kids of middle class professionals who seem to get preference in class scheduling? We had to fight for our classes and rarely got what we wanted, were told 'there was plenty of time' or 'that the class was too hard --how insulting to my child!!

Posted March 15, 2010

Posted October 23, 2009

Booker T. Washington High School 0

Posted October 16, 2009
My son attended this school and received a quality education and mentoring from caring teachers! Top Notch!

Posted July 14, 2009

Posted July 14, 2009

Posted February 17, 2009

Posted January 15, 2009
Booker T Washington is highly focused on student success and college preparation. Its International Baccalaureate program is tops in the State and highly valuable for college-bound students. On the downside, they waste too much curriculum and energy on drivel such as diversity but overall they provide an outstanding education. Our oldest was given 37 hours of credit at a top national university after graduating from BTW's IB program.

Booker T. Washington High School
1514 East Zion Street, Tulsa, OK  74106
Last modified Booker T. Washington High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Booker T. Washington High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top