No rating

Memorial Junior High School

Public | 7-8

Posted January 1, 2014

Staff and administrators work with parents to get results for my kids We have been with the school through its changes and we see that the safety is much better now . We will continue on to memorial high school with the engineering program because of the start with the program served by mr. Clemmer

Posted January 27, 2012

This school has gone to the dumps!! At one time Memorial Jr. High, what use to be Byrd Middle School, was among the top schools in Tulsa. Since Mrs. Bunnell has taken over as principal and brought along her array of staff from Lewis and Clark, this school has changed tremendously. The staff seems to spend more time "hanging out" and sociallizing with other staff than teaching the children. Some of the teachers have been so inappropriate as to how they deal with my student I have questioned her being in that school at all. It has changed for the worst! Don't get me wrong there are some good teachers left they are just so few and far between there is NO purpose in enrolling your child. I live in the neighborhood and will continue sending my kids to the local elementary and high school, but as for Memorial Jr. High I will be finding another school for those years. As for the previous comments on this board, correct is all I can say. There are fights between students daily and no teachers or staff in the vicintity...

Posted March 10, 2011

The principle @ this school is very rude to the kids. She dont show any intrest in my student.as i was talkn to her she hung up in my face and i felt that was very rude.Our children are the future.. She is not the judge of my child.. i donot like Bryd middle school. The principle has shown to me to be prejudice.

Posted July 25, 2010

There are some really good teachers at Byrd however I agree with a few of the earlier posts that said there were bullies. There was alot of "gang" related fighting this last year and it seems now days that most teachers are afraid to stand up to students that act that way. . Mr.Elledge is one of the few that isn't and he is the glue that keeps that school from falling apart completely. He is still making an amazing impact. Middle school years are so important that I have chose to sacrifice and put my daughter into private where she will not be impacted negatively.

Posted June 29, 2010

This school doesn't teach the proper education the kids need! My child has fell behind so much in just one semester! They are bullies at this school! I thought well this is a good school it looks nice and clean inside and i said okay its a good school, but it isn't i couldn't believe how much my 8th grader fell behind! Well i wouldn't send my child back!

Posted March 10, 2009

Bullies attended this school.Lack of supervision and attention provided.

Posted September 20, 2008

My child was in the special education system at Byrd MS & I am VERY disappointed with the lack of education he received there. His reading went down from a 3rd grade reading level to a 1st grade level. I had to enroll him into & pay for a Tutoring program that the school was supposed to offer, he is teachable, his reading level is coming back up. It is diffulcult to find a GOOD Special Education Program in TPS. He is now in the 9th grade & so far they have been bending backward to help him adjust and get him into the classes/courses that are going to help him be a sucess. I cannot speak on how good the school is for regular ed/typical kids but it isn't a good placement for special ed students. I was involved & we had a good IEP, it just wasn't followed.

Posted June 27, 2006

My daughter has completed two years at Byrd and will begin her 3rd and final year this fall. We have been very pleased overall with Byrd. She has had some excellent teachers. Most of the teachers seem to care about their students and enjoy keeping in contact with the parents. I appreciate their willingness to answer e-mails and phone calls. Mr. Elledge is a prime example of this. He will do what it takes to help your chld learn. My daughter excelled under him. Hopefully this year will go as well as the last.

Posted January 22, 2006

I taught at Byrd Middle School right after graduation--loved it! Students were great and helpful--very few discipline problems. LOTS of school pride and PTA involvement!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 7, 2005

There are 2 things that bother me about this school so far. 1. This school does not provide adequate transportation to and from school. 2.There is rarely anyone in the parking lot to direct traffic leading to not only dangerous situations for the children but altercations between parents. Other than these problems (which I feel need immediate attention) I have no complaints as of yet.

Posted April 16, 2004

Byrd Middle School is one of the top ten schools I would recommend to send your kids to. I want there for the being of the year this year and loved it, but I moved before the first semester. But just being there has put a great inpack on me.
—Submitted by a former student

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2013.

World Geography

The state average for World Geography was 89% in 2012.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 60% in 2013.

U.S. History and Government

The state average for U.S. History and Government was 77% in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

American Indian/Alaska Native 2 6% 17%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2 2% 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 2 0% 0%
Native American 1 N/A 17%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2011-2012
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Special education 123%N/A15%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 271%N/A61%
Source: 1 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2010-2011
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7502 East 57th St