Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

As a student I didn't like the large classes. I also didn't care for micro-society. Many teachers have favorites and try to be popular by joking with the "in crowd". This school LOVES athletes... Idolizes them. I witnessed a cheerleader doing handsprings in the hall, teachers applauding. My friend got in trouble for bumping someone in the crowded hall during class exchange!!! Whatevs. This was not the right school for me. I wish I could get those years of my life back!

1) Uniform code isn't enforced for all students. Many girls wear their skirts too short, way above the TPS policy of a dollar bill width...like micro-minis from the 1960's. Yet a student forgets to wear a belt and receives a summons. 2) 40 students per classroom- no individualized help when needed. One teacher in classroom with an assistant, but the teacher directs the class and the assistant doesn't participate in instructing the class. 3) Micro-society is mandatory and that time could be better spent on core class instruction. 4) Two years ago, a 6th grade math teacher rewarded the quick learners, all "A" students, by allowing them to sit at the front by the Smartboard. So, the students struggling in the class, many from not being able to see the board or hear the teacher ( as there are 40 students per class ) were punished and put on display in the back of the classroom. 5) 6th grade: some, (not all), students allowed to use calculators in class and on exams. 6) 7th grade supply lists includes a calculator and mandates calculators be brought to class.. Yet students are told they can't use a calculator, not even to double check their homework assignments. What is the point of purchasing the calculator? 7) Too many projects assigned, and often multiple projects due at same time from multiple classes. This along with regularly assigned homework. My student gained nothing from these projects. This family does not recommend this school.

This school was the best thing that ever happened to my son at that age. The staff in this school, from the janitors to the high admin staff was so kind and helpful to my son, who has special needs. I am so very glad that my son had the opportunity to learn and grow. The school nurse was a wonderful advocate for my son. I am forever grateful.

Thoreau provides a very hands on learning enviornment. The students work in groups and are assigned many projects, not just reports and worksheets. My daughter is a 6th grader there and has excelled beyond my expectations. They have so many things to offer, it's hard to decide! The staff is caring and the discipline is handled effectively and swiftly. I cringe to think of my daughter having to go to another middle school in the Tulsa Public School system. Thoreau is the choice for me.

I have two children at Thoreau. One with a learning disablity and one who excells in everything. At our previous school they treated my LD child differently not in a good way causing him to feel stupid in his words, at Thoreau he has been just as successful as my other child who never has any education problems. Thoreau has been such a great experience both of my children feel successful and intellegent. My son made the honor roll for the first time in his life his first semester at Thoreau and has continued to know he to is very smart. Thanks to the staff at Thoreau for all you do for our children.

Their is no better school than thoreau the kids and staff are all nice and willing to help anyone. My son likes so much better than cascia hall!!

thoreau is a great school. thoreau help me alot to get readly for life. Micro is away for student to get readly for life. we work, pay taxes, just like life it self. I'm taking a high school class with the teacher of the year. when i was in 6th grade i though that it would be a scary class, but my tacher made it to be a fun way to learn algbera. the teacher here and readly nice. they help me before and after school. the teacher have a fun way of teach us. thoreau is a great in sports. here we have football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, golf, tenis, and clubs. thoreau made life not that scary no more. if you want your kid to be readly for life they should go to thoreau

At Thoreau your teachers are not only your teachers but they are also your friends. After you have attended Thoreau you take school and life more seriously and have more fun doing it. Instead of having pages and pages of homework you have inquiries (projects) that you actually learn even more about the subject while doing them. Overall its the best school I've attended.

It's a wonderful, delightiful school. My daughter attends there and thinks its delightful and wonderful. And yes it is the best school in Tulsa! It really is a great school and you should apply your child for it, if you think they are up for a challenge.

Last modified Thoreau Demonstration Academy is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.