Hoover Elementary School

Public | PK-6 | 627 students

Posted June 15, 2014

I love this school my grandson was really below average in his academic 's when he came to this school. However the teachers & mentors & counselor are awesome! They worked so hard with my grandson and my grandson worked hard as well and I'm so proud to say he is at the top of his class. They have great teacher's that actually care about the students! Thank you to everyone at hoover for making a difference in my grandson's education.

Posted May 20, 2014

This school for the most part has been good to us.... But Very unhappy with the follow up/thru process on dealing with problem children/bullies.

Posted January 28, 2014

I went to the school back in the early90's 3rd grade 5th and now my son had went to that school started 3rd .considering I met the best friends I'd ever know.My kid would come home with no homewor several weeks.,his agenda was barely wrote in. there's no homework hardly ,he was confused about what he was learning and frankly I was even more confused, I spoke with the teacher and the outcome wasnt good either, because she could never give me a direct answer.after watching the outcome of the situations awhile and the grades he was getting we're just unacceptable.I decided what was best for my son and move him to another school .within a short. time my son has made honeroll and is doing very very well indeed and he loves going to school and I love that he made the honor roll . .. So my review gives them and 1 star and they're lucky to get that be aware Hoover Elementary it will dumb down your kid.and whoever rated this school at five star and some of the other schools lower didn't Hoover is he there set the standards really really

Posted July 1, 2013

I think they have a good thing going until the kids hit 2nd grade at that point all is lost! That is unless you have a child who understand everything the first time and does not struggle at all. If your child is a self teacher then they should be ok. However, if your child needs clear instructions and caring teachers this isn't the school for you.

Posted May 9, 2013

My son has mild Autism and we have had nothing but problems from this school. First grade Ms. Harney was horrible and now in third grade the teacher put tape on his mouth when he was talking too much. I have had to threaten lawsuits against the school to get anywhere and they are very slow to take action on anything. I am looking into moving him to another school next year due to all the problems.

Posted April 24, 2013

Hoover has a great pre-k special education and autism program. My son has PDD and has improved more than we could ever expect. Kathy Davis and her assistants are wonderful teachers and I would recommend this class to anyone with a child who has autism or other special needs.

Posted October 7, 2012

Our son started attending Hoover last year for Pre-K and is now in Kindergarten. His Pre-K teacher (who is no longer there) reassured us that the kids who were learning a little faster would be given an opportunity for extra classroom study time...this was not the case...instead we heard about how she was always yelling or had YouTube music videos up on the overhead for the kids to dance to. I felt like we lost a year and he was much further ahead in his Mother's Day Out program in TX the year before. This year he has Mrs. Kearney for Kindergarten and we LOVE her. She challenges the kids and his reading is really taking off. For Pre-K, ask for Mrs. Walner (wish we had her!), then Mrs. Kearney for Kindergarten. PTA and parents are extremely involved and very supportive of the school and teachers. Great School!

Posted June 1, 2011

I couldn't be happier with the education my children received at Hoover. Teachers are very involoved. Academics are high, as are moral and character expectations. Communication between teachers and parents is phenomenal. Children are met at their level. Two of mine are bright and were given ample opportunity to excel in the Kaleidoscope program for gifted and talented children. One of mine struggled with reading. The special attention he received and the positive, nurturing attitude of the teachers and tutors helped him reach his personal best. Hoover offers chorus, chess club, running club and an Asian enrichment program. They are one of the few elementary schools that participate in the China exchange program. Most of the faculty goes above and beyond to ensure a positive experience for students. Special kudos to Mr. and Mrs. Karlskint and Ms. Getter for making education fun and interesting, drawing the kids out and valuing their thoughts and opinions. After 7 years dealing with the excellence of Hoover, it has been difficult to get used to the below par middle schools Tulsa has to offer. I didn't know how good I had it and will always miss interacting with the Hoover family.

Posted March 31, 2009

Now all three of my girls go here,and I think it is one of the best schools in Tulsa. When people tell me there are not any good schools in Tulsa except private,I recommend them to transfer their kids here.Everyone always comments on how smart my kids are, and alot of it has to do with the advanced education they are getting here.

Posted January 6, 2009

My daughter is a first grader at Hoover and it is an absolutely wonderful school. The teachers are great! I wish my older two had went to Hoover also!!

Posted July 16, 2008

I have a son in third grade and a daughter in kindergarten at Hoover. I am very impressed with the teachers and the curriculum. Both of my children love Hoover and I would like for my other three daughters to attend this fine school.

Posted October 17, 2006

I want to amend my earlier review. My son is struggling in fourth grade. The teachers have been unresponsive even when I ask for help. This is a great disappointment to me, as we have had such a positive experience so far.

Posted September 4, 2005

I have 4 children attending Hoover this year. Grades k,1st,2nd,and 5th.Hoover really wants the parents involved with thier childrens education. All of my kids have homework almost every day,even my kindergardener. But I find that it has giving me the one on one time my kids and I need to spend togeather.It's very hard other wise to find time that I can just sit down and really be able to give my undivided attention.The teachers are very helpfull with any special needs your child my have.If they have any kind of problem, medically, learning disabilities, or just a bad attitude,they will help you and your child learn to overcome or cope with what ever things may occur.

Posted May 19, 2004

This is an excellent school. My daughters attend here and we love it! One of my daughters is in 5th grade and she is learning a lot of the same things that my son is learning in the 7th grade.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

62 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

43 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Native American 8% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 175%N/A61%
Special education 216%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

• Deborah Simpson

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now