Briarglen Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted October 23, 2013

My children attended this school. My youngest son was difficult and the staff did everything in their power to help him learn and grow. By the time he moved to the 6th grade center he was more mature and ready to handle the classroom. My other childre enjoyed going to a neighborhood school where they didn't have to take a bus and could ride bikes instead. My older children are now starting college after doing very well in high school.

Posted February 26, 2013

Try as they might, a school is only as good as the quality of students and faculty. The faculty tries, but there are just not the resources to handle the number of students in the classroom. My child has been there this year, and all the child has learned is to fight. The child was sweet and caring. The lack of supervision has given him a prison mentality: dog eat dog. I hate this school and so does my child. I routinely find used condoms in the parking lot. I feel badly for any person that has to send their child to this school.

Posted September 19, 2012

I don't understand what most of the posts here are saying I went to Briarglen Elementary from K-5th and the staff was excellent and the teachers helped me so much I would not be a straight A student in high school without them, they gave me so much insight in a variety of things. Like how to deal with people and how you should treat others, I was also a helper there during 6th grade and seeing the children there grow up and learn made me feel awesome. I lived next to Briarglen for so long and I will always remember it. I miss it every day. When I go back to Tulsa to visit I go there every time, so if you are looking for a school this one teaches great life lessons and the teachers are phenomenal, there are better academic schools but the stuff you learn in Briarglen cannot be learned anywhere else.

Posted March 22, 2010

My children have been going here for 3 years, we transfered from Tulsa public schools, and love it. They offer more specials classes, the staff is wonderful, and always there with an open door. I feel that my children are safe, well cared for and earning a great education.

Posted September 30, 2008

I was a parent that not only participated in many school activities but I had a chance to see how the inside of the PTA was run as well. My children are longer at Briarglen and I am completely happy. When my youngest was transferred to another elementary school I was worried that she was going to suffer due to her friends no longer being around. She has done nothing but excel. I would have to agree with the parent that stated that she felt guilty that her kids wasted part of their elementary years at this school. Unfortunately my oldest wasted the entire elementary years at Briarglen which I blame for the struggles she has had throughout the years. Luckily now she is getting what she should have received while she was at Briarglen.

Posted July 31, 2008

My children went to this school for three years. I was very involved in the classrooms, PTA, and all around the school. Being so involved gave me an inside perspective on how poor the school was run. The children are treated like they are at a military school: they are constantly being yelled at and are punished as a whole class when one or a few children misbehave. My kids were behind, academically. We moved away and my children spent last year at a better school. Moving was the best thing we've ever done! I feel guilty that my kids wasted part of there elementary education here.

Posted March 15, 2008

The parent's in these other review's must have no involvement in the school or their child's growth in the school. Narrow minded parents that don't encourage diversity in school's and community should not enroll their kid in this school thay should go to some all white prep school. This is a good school if you make it one the way we have. Get involved in your kids life and school.

Posted January 23, 2008

I agree with the last comment. I also ran into the same problem..over crowding and bilingual students, yes, it did take away from my child also. We did move to Peters school district and they are also Union and I couldnt believe the difference. The staff is so pleasent and the students are taught to use their mannors. It has been wonderful. The down side is, although a Union school compared to Briarglen, Peters is so advance in academics.

Posted August 9, 2007

I have 2 kids in this school I have liked the staff but my kids are behind due to overcrowding and bilingual students that takes time away from my kids. I would give anything to move away from this school.

Posted May 18, 2005

This school is awful. The staff are rude and have no idea how to resolve questions or concerns. They have a 'those are the rules deal with it' attitude. Principal enforces arbitrary rules when and to whom she sees fit. Lunchroom staff are incompetent, they made my son eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches because they claimed he had no lunch money(because they put all of it in his brothers account.)He wasn't even out of money in his own account yet. I as a parent have had such a bad experience with the staff at the front desk that I avoid the office at all costs. my parental involvement has been extremely minimal as I don't wish to do anything with a school that doesn't seem to care about their students. We are moving to avoid placing our children in this school next year.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 89%N/A61%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3303 South 121st East Ave