Union High School

Public | 11-12 | 3300 students

Posted February 18, 2014

Union is a very big district with very big schools. It's easy to feel a little lost and confused on what to do. But there are a lot of clubs and sports you can choose from to join. School spirit is huge coming from many teachers and students. You can see how much students want to support one another, and sports. You just have to ask for help and get involved in whatever you can. Go big red!

Posted April 19, 2011

I am a proud graduate of UHS and am a better person in all aspects of my life because of it. Union prepared me for college but far more importantly, for life. It is great to be a part of a school with such pride, amenities, staff and a rich growing history. I transferred from a good Tulsa private school and it was a challenge at first to adjust to the higher curriculum, pace and size of Union. Every single aspect, besides tuition, was harder at Union. Teachers were tougher, coaches more aggressive, socially it was more challenging but I am the better person and man for adjusting to the faster pace and making the most of that opportunity. With few exceptions the ones who transferred to Union wanted better, bigger opportunities and the ones who transferred out were just not able to keep up. Such is life. Union forced me to dig deeper and forced me to take my life to the next level and I am eternally in debt.

Posted April 5, 2011

I am hearing bad reviews about the Principle of this school, seems the principle and staff, are intimidating students into lying about one another, sounds like someone is trying to play with students lives as well as there minds, putting the fear in these students is only confusing them more,playing with there rights is another thing, Someone needs to report the actions of the very person that we entrust our children to.

Posted August 23, 2010

Union High Schools administrative staff is awful. They are so rude and disrespectful to both students and parents. They should do away with their Character Counts since most of them can not conduct themselves in the ways they are expecting the students to conduct themselves. They need to learn to be accountable for their actions and if they can't handle doing their job in a respectful manner they should work in a different field.

Posted June 22, 2010

The leadership at this school is exceptional. Every principal is a principal because they want kids to excel. This allows teachers to focus on teaching and not on all the other issues (discipline, politics, etc.) The district is well managed so during this budget crunch, Union is not talking about laying off teachers. Even though they are one of the largest districts. The academic programs are excellent. The ratings from Great Schools is deceiving as most of the Union students have passed all or most of these academic tests before they even enter the High School. That is what is wrong with these types of rating systems. I have teachers in my family so I may talk like a teacher but I am not one.

Posted May 13, 2010

We have raised two boys through the school district and have our final and third child a girl through 8th grade. We love the school district! Excellence in everything they do is not an understatement! No school district will be perfect, but if you compare Union with others it stands out like a sore thumb. Great teachers overall throuh the years, adminstration is top notch, and their programs are incrediable - bands, sports, drama, debate, spirit, dance, etc.....always winning state or coming close in most areas. Went to the drama production of Beauty and the Beast and thought it was at least college level in quality, and professional in every way. Great school district!

Posted October 4, 2009

The science teachers are great. They're eccentric but most have a passion for their subject and can teach in unique ways- I appreciate their honesty and openness.

Posted August 25, 2009

My children have gone to both private and public schools. I really like Union School District. The teachers appear to care and I like the Parent online system. Yes, there are cliques as there are in any school. I think the education system is up there with Jenks. It is a very large school system and I think if the parents keep their kids involved in clubs, sports,etc. They will have a easier time of finding their niche.

Posted August 24, 2009

I gotta say...all this stuff about Union not being welcoming enough has got me just about to scream. I haven't met a new kid that hasn't been talked to or welcomed. Most of the time, the new students just sit there when people try to talk to them. Union is a great school and unless you aren't friendly back, you will have a great time. I'll be a 2010 graduate and I love it here at Union!!

Posted December 29, 2008

I am a 2006 graduate of Union and I can truly say that I am grateful that I attended Union from K-12. After reading the reviews I am astounded by so many of the comments claiming that the students are unfriendly and that it is too difficult to make friends there as a newcomer. But one must look at the fact that Union High School has almost 2,000 students! Of course it can seem intimidating to meet people, especially when there are students (like myself) who have known each other for years. But I feel like if students get involved in AP classes, which have a close community feel, and some of the other awesome clubs and programs Union offers, like drama or choir, it can be much easier to make friends. I feel that Union provided a wonderful foundation for success in my current studies at OU!

Posted January 24, 2008

There are some positives and many negatives with Union school. The school has great athletics, school pride, great facilities and teachers that care. Here are some negatives. This school district is the first that any of my children have attended that has a much greater emphasis on athletics than on academics. There is not an after school activity bus. Another area lacking at this school is homework. Children have very little homework that would challenge them to be better educated.

Posted August 17, 2007

One son graduated in 2005 another graduate's in 2008. I would like to see Union concentrate more on developing the writing skills that a student will need to be successful in college and thereafter. That being said, that emphasis has to start with the superintendent. Fitting in at high is tough today but that is the way iit has always been. Sports, especially football, are big but if one must blame someone, blame the parents. The parents are the ones that demand to win rather than let the kid get the intangibles out of the participation that can helpful later on in life. BTW, our 2005 graduate is doing fine at the University of Tulsa.

Posted April 30, 2007

I graduate from Union in one month. I came across this website for a research project I am working on and was appalled by some of the bad reviews that my school received. Our school does everything it can to reach out to new students. In fact we throw a party for them! It is the new students that do not show up and do not participate in school functions that have a bad time. And there is no more emphasis put on our athletics than anything else, take the new performing arts center for drama we just built, or the new band wing that just went up last year! There are so many different clubes to join that it would be impossible to not make friends unless you are not a friendly person!

Posted April 27, 2007

I had 2 children go through the Union School system from Kindergarten all the way through until they both graduated and I was very pleased with the quality of academic programs, extracurricular activites and the level of parental involvement(more so in the elementary schools) I would like to have seen more involment at the secondary levels, but no doubt.. I would send my children through Union again!

Posted February 27, 2007

Athletics are put above everything else by coaches and parents. The athletes expect everything on a silver platter, and why not, it is given to them.

Posted April 28, 2005

I am not a parent, but a 2004 graduate from Union High School. I attended from K-12. I am a minority, (African American.) I really enjoyed attending Union, I feel as though Union provides quality education, more so than most schools in Oklahoma. I learned alot, and Union prepared me well for college. I would recommend Union to any parent, Union will definitely help gear a student to a successful path to those who take advantage!

Posted April 4, 2005

I graduated from Union in 2001. I finished school with my senior year in the Alternative program (which is not for trouble makers, but for those that need more help with addictions, being teen parents or self supporting). I completely enjoyed the alt, where else can you find classes like Forensic Science and Law!! But I ultimately went to the alt. ed. because the i-high and sr-high are too big, teachers are bias and students are rude. The schools football program is worth more to them then their band, track, or theatre. I found that kids in cheerleading or football and baseball got special treatment, they were rarely held accountable and were guaranteed to go to college after school on a scholorship. If you are not one of the known 'cool' kids you were treated different by everyone. not recommended for kids that are not 'cool'.

Posted February 20, 2005

I graduated Union High School in 2001, and was immediately accepted to the University of Oklahoma straight out of H.S. My years at Union (K-12) taught me tolerance, diversity, common sense, self accountability, and most of all self respect! I am now a restaurant manager, and I truly believe that the great experiences at Union paired with the wonderful guidance I recieved from the knowledgable staff, helped to shape me into the responsible person I am today! I was Highstepper and look forward to showing my children someday that the program I loved so dearly is still 'alive and kicking' because of the strong sense of loyalty and tradition at Union. I hope to be a proud Union Mom in the future and would recommend this school as one of the finest in the nation!

Posted February 19, 2005

I am a parent of a high schooler and I agree with the student from Jenks. None of the Union schools students are very friendly towards new comers. My children found it very difficult to fit in and were not given a chance by either the school or the students. Only kids from upper middle class families seem to rate there. They are exempt from the rules. Another thing I see is the 'character counts' methods only apply to the kids not to the teachers. No matter what the school tells you, alcohol and drugs abound. Drug use appears to be the number one extra curricular activity in the school. We've been in different public schools and I've never seen a school as full of it as this one is. Some kids may be proud of their time at Union and that is fine, but many students struggle to fit in.

Posted September 13, 2004

I am not a parent, but a proud graduate of Union. I went there from K-12 and I couldn't have asked for a better education. I loved going to school there so much that I am now getting my teaching degree and doing full internship at Union with hopes to some day be a teacher there. As far as the review that precedes mine...If you know anything about the rivalries between Union and Jenks you would know that this person does not like Union not because of his/her experience, but because of his/her perceptions of the school before even stepping foot on the grounds.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

12 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

707 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

883 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

780 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

620 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

921 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 2%
Native American 6% 16%
Source: State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 147%N/A61%
Special education 29%N/A15%
Source: 1 NCES, 2011-2012
Source: 2 State of Oklahoma Office of Educational Quality and Accountability, 2012-2013

Apply now