Darnaby Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 540 students

Posted May 13, 2014

As a mother moving into the area, my first experience at an Union school (Darnaby) was not very satisfying. The lady who work in the front office is very rude, but I noticed it's only to certain parents. If you are not a part of their social clique , you aren't really welcomed to participate in the PTA...which I personally think is a joke because it's only about money. I cannot tell you one thing the PTA has done with the money they constantly ask for. The children are always wrong, so regardless of what the problem may be there is no need for the children to tell the adults. I think most if them are just there for a check, and some people take pride in the school but they aren't the ones that some of the staff are rude to. My daughter loves her teacher, but that is the only good thing I can share abexperiencemy experience.I hate that a few bad apples has ruined my experience with the school, but as a result I am moving my children out of the area so they don't have to go back to Darnaby.

Posted August 30, 2013

Darnaby Elementary is absolutely wonderful. The teachers and staff are very hands on and encouraging. The Parent involvement at the school is amazing. I love this school.

Posted August 12, 2012

This school has been wonderful for my two children. They are getting the best education from many wonderful teachers. The parent involvement is amazing! In my first year as a parent I was included in so many activities I stayed busy the whole year! I could not be happier!

Posted October 19, 2009

My son is in kindergarten and last year in pre-k. He is very bashful for a kid and never moves along with others thanks to the efforts of the teacher he is now so much social and his english vocabulary is so awesome . We talk indian lang at home and he is very adept in his english and math skills of the first grader back in india is not a match to his . I really appreciate all the efforts the kindergarten teacher has taken and the overall academic excellence of darnaby

Posted October 22, 2008

Our son attended all of Pre-K and 2 months of Kinder until we had to move out of state for a job move. Our experience at Darnaby has been nothing but the best! Teachers are wonderful, competant and very involved with the kids; academics are top rate; parents are very active in school, in the PTA, and become close to other parents; Mr. Carson is a great principal and stands out front almost every morning greeting the students; the sports programs are excellent, even for Pre-K; the extended day program (EDP) and EDP staff are wonderful! We are so sad to have to leave Darnaby and hope we find another like it at our new city. But even so, we believe we and our son have made best friends for life through Darnaby. What more can we say?! We highly recommend Darnaby!

Posted October 19, 2008

Before going to Darnaby our son attended a private school that cost approximately $10,000 a year. Naturally, we thought that we would be giving up a lot when we transferred our son to Darnaby. We were surprised and happy to find that we gave up nothing and actually received more from Darnaby than the private school. Upon entrance to Darnaby, our son's academics tested as one and a half years behind the norm. Afer one year at Darnaby, he tested out as one year and seven months ahead of the norm! He now participates in sports, ARC, and other extra curricular activities. The parents and other students are awesome. The staff at Darnaby cannot be beat.

Posted October 17, 2008

Darnaby is a disappointment. The reason the test scores are high is the treaching to the test. The social cliques among students is incredible, and it is the same ofr the parents. It is all about appeaances at Darnaby and problems are not dealt with properly. It is the parent who screams the most that gets the attention and what they want because they do not want a blemish on their record. I have 3 children at Darnaby. All with different strengths and weaknesses. One just elected to student council office. All in ARC, and bored academically.

Posted November 4, 2007

We are in our 1st year at Darnaby. My daughter is in Pre-K and we could not be more pleased. She is fully enjoying her experience there and all 19 of her new friends are just terrific. The parent teacher communication in terrific. The parent involvement is amazing. Darnaby is really 1st rate!

Posted February 1, 2006

My son has changed from a homesick, school frustrated kid onto a honors roll in two years. We are gratefull to Darnaby, the staff, counceling and teachers for their unconditional help to Henry. Darnaby has impacted our family lives in a way that no other institution has before and we are extremely gratefull for it.

Posted August 18, 2005

I live a few blocks from the school the neighbors all seem to keep watch on whats going on,the teachers have all been realy sweet, i have not one negative comment to say about the school or the staff my daughter sydnie and i are ver pleased and we are willing to get involved in anything possible.Thanks so much for being #1.

Posted August 22, 2004

Darnaby is without question the best elementary in Tulsa - period. This school is highly commited to excellence - teachers, prinicpal, parents all work together to benefit the children. There's extensive parental involvement, a very active PTA, and a real sense of community. My oldest made the transistion to middle school this year and he was well prepared. We're very thankful we discovered this area and this school!

Posted March 22, 2004

Both of my children are currently at Darnaby, one in first and one in fifth. The teachers have been excellent since pre-k and kindergarten. They work with parents to help meet the needs of each child. It is an academically challenging school. My fifth grader just took an entrance exam to a private school, and she had the top score in 3 out of 5 categories, beating out mostly private school children. After Darnaby, your child is well prepared for whatever comes next. The specialty teachers are very hands on and the kids love them. We have loved it here and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests (OCCT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and grades 5 and 8 in science and writing. The OCCT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 76% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 77% in 2012.

82 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 66% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 2%
Native American 4% 16%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A61%
Special education 9%N/A15%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7625 East 87 St South