Yukon High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 28, 2013

My brother and I grew up in Yukon schools and loved it. I was in the last graduating class at the old building, so I don't have an opinion on the new building. But in my case, going to YHS was amazing. Generally, the teacher quality is superb. There was a definite divide between the harsher teachers and the calmer, friendlier ones and in the end I think it was a good balance. Personalities aside, the teaching methods at Yukon have helped me so much in college, and I appreciate it even more now that I'm about to graduate from university. I had a great experience as a student there because my other classmates were great. It was very easy to "mesh" with everyone, and I have to note that it was especially prevalent with new students. We are a very welcoming charm about us. Yes, there is a party scene but it's certainly pretty easy to avoid it if you want to. All in all, I'm shocked at how great YHS is considering Yukon as a town isn't all that great. Great staff, great students. I'm really thankful to have gone here.

Posted February 21, 2013

My children started at this school this year I am not pleased with what is going on. I moved my children to this district after i thought the last one was bad i was wrong. They may have nice things but I was wrong they do not truly care for their students its what they can get to make them selves look good. To me places that are more into their look are not in it for their students they are for the money that they can get out of people.

Posted August 10, 2012

I have had one daughter go through and graduate from Yukon High in 2012 and love this school. I have a second daughter who is a Junior this year and is excited about graduating from Yukon. The teachers, principals and staff are wonderful. The new high school is phenominal. It looks like a junior college instead of a high school and they aren't finished yet. They still have a ball field and swimming pool to add. I feel any child would be lucky to attend Yukon High.

Posted February 7, 2012

As a junior, I have gone to school in Yukon since kindergarten and I really enjoy it. We got a new high school this year (which is way to extravagant) and its really nice. As for the "drug" problem, there are drugs but people don't go around selling drugs to people, and not everyone does drugs, you just have to pick the right crowd to hang out with. And all schools have drugs and alcohol. Every single one of my teachers I have enjoyed, they all really care about the students and will help you succeed. I also noticed that most of the negative reviews on here come from parents who don't go to the school so they have no idea what its like, and the students seem to enjoy it. As for the policies, they go through the entire handbook at the beginning of the year so students know what's expected. At the beginning of my Freshman year I was surprised to find that Freshman really weren't bullied, you always hear horror story about kids getting picked on and you don't see it happen. I would reccomend this school to anyone and plan on sending my kids there when I get older. It really is a great school, and if you are skeptical about sending your kids there make them take Leadership with Mr. A!

Posted November 6, 2011

This school is a very pathetic excuse for an educational learning center. The only education they are concerned about giving is athletic education. The curriculum is poor, the teacher quality is poor, and they waste money on to many unnecessary things. They need to put more emphasis on academic learning and less on extracurricular activities. The new school building was not needed as the old one was not unusable and already nicer than many other schools have. It was a complete waste of money for the Yukon tax payers who are only interested in keeping up with appearances. This school needs to get back to basics. My child had received such a sub- par education at this school that we had to remove him and take him somewhere else where they were more concerned about teaching.

Posted August 18, 2011

District has beautiful schools, but could do a better job of encouraging parent s involvement with education. All my children attend this district and graduated, some with good grades and some with great grades, but feeling that the teachers and staff REALLY wanted us to be involved with our children s education and ask questions was largely lacking, in fact very difficult. Good district, but has a lot of potential to be a GREAT district. Today s parents are more educated and more vocal about their children s needs. Education is on a cutting edge of new expectations.

Posted May 9, 2011

I am taking my three kids and moving out of this district. District isn't the same since Dr. Dean and Dr. Speath are gone. Administration isn't putting kids first.

Posted April 19, 2010

I am a jr. at Yukon High School. I've gone to Yukon from kindergarten and I will graduate from Yukon High School. Parents can complain all they want about the schools policies and what not but the truth of the matter is Yukon is a wonderful school district. I have read complaining pertaining to everthing from smelly bathrooms to teachers bullying. The teachers don't bully students. That is possibly the most rediculous accusation in the world. Yukon teachers are amazing. Most of my role models have been Yukon teachers.Yukon is the best school you could send your son or daughter to. I've truly enjoyed it so far. There are more positives than negatives. (test scores, activities, class options, friendly students, and many, many more)

Posted August 30, 2009

moving from Midwest city high I really like yukon more, there is more of a challenge in the education, and atheletics are superb

Posted April 22, 2009

Well I am a student at Yukon highschool I really enjoy it after moving here from a different state. I can Honestly say that I have learned a lot more education then I ever have before and I strongly recomend that you would place your student in this school because the fights here are kept to a minimum and I really have never seen any bullying around and the Athletics are very awesome and they keep up to date with technology and I really enjoy this school and thats all I have to say.

Posted February 7, 2009

I have children in evey level of school elem, middle, and high school. we moved to this district because of the school system and I have to say my kids are getting a much better education than they were before we moved here. The classes are challenging, every time I have had a concern the teachers and principals have been more than willing to talk with me about them. I have seen no evidence of so called bullying by teachers and my children are by no means angels. I highly recommend this district to anybody!

Posted January 23, 2009

I'm a sophomore at Yukon High School and I have to admit I really like it. The classes are challenging, but it's a fun challenge. There are tons of electives to choose form, for everyone to get involved. It's a very clean school, there are hardly any fights, and things are just nice here. Mrs. Sturgell is an amazing English teacher, also :]]

Posted November 10, 2008

I am a student of yukon highschool and can say that yes classes are rigorous and rules are strictly enforced. I have been enrolled in all ap classes up until my senior year. As someone that moved to the district though from a different school and talking to other student who have moved here, the classes are much more rigorous than any other school (regular classes are comparative to ap classes at other districts) The school also has higher graduation requirments than those set up by the state. The school prides themselves in there 'academic success' and pushes it first and formost for better or for worst. Yukon runs a tight ship, and if you can't handle it they won't be afraid to tell you to take easier classes or go elsewhere.

Posted September 9, 2008

I'm a former of student of Yukon High, Yukon has tons of school spirit, Fights are to a minimum, Its a very clean school Very up to date school too, academics are in various categories, so everyone can be in them. Its a very friendly school. I do miss it very much and the schools atmosphere. I would definitely recommend to everyone!

Posted August 7, 2008

This school has rigorous AP courses and teachers who team together to help students. I have been very pleased with the administration and faculty.

Posted May 3, 2008

I am a Junior at Yukon High School and have lived in this wholesome community my entire life. Yukon is a well respected community that prospers and flourishes with every beat of each humble citizen. Our school system is renound and is known city, state, and nation wide for it's jaw dropping achievements and success in scholastics and activites. Yukon's teachers, staff, and administration display their unmatched passion through their highly accoladed work in the persuit of student fulfillment. I have never encountered such problems listed variously on this site such as students being treated unfairly and unsatisfactory teaching. I am a Student Council Representative and have gladly worked with students, teachers, and administration only to notice and highly regard their fairness a remarkable attitudes. Many students put such problems and 'trajedies' upon themselves because of their careless ignorance thus blaming the fault on their superiors and others, creating a scapegoat.

Posted November 30, 2007

Ok...Parents? Yukon is an amazing school. The people are super cool and the faculty is really nice. Bullying is barely a problem at yukon and if your child is getting bullied then someone is always there to put a stop to it. I mean some of you haven't even gone to that school and i remember when i first moved here i didn't like it because it was a new place and i had to get used to it and make friends. And i know i made up stories to my mom about how i didn't like it and people were rude when they weren't i just wouldn't step out of my shell and most of the time i didn't have too! the kids there were really interested in me in a good way! i made wonderful friends to whom im still friends with and we have never had problems.

Posted November 27, 2007

I attended this school and loved it! I'm going through college now and because of the wonderful teachers I've decided to become one myself. my hopes are to teach at Yukon when I graduate.

Posted November 25, 2007

I removed my son from Yukon 9/10 at the beginning of 10th grade, two years ago. We've owned our home since 1994 and were not ready to sell, so he's attending Oklahoma Virtual High School online. I would not recommend Yukon Schools past grade school if at all. My son received two truancy tickets for leaving campus at lunch, with no missed class time, and one for sitting on a step outside the cafeteria, in the middle of campus, across from his next class waiting for bell to ring, in addition to the appropriate detention for each offense. Truly a bizarre interpretation of the truancy law. My son felt stalked and targeted. After a very scary runaway incident, while we were still figuring out the details, my son's principal told him, right in front of me, that 'school would be just like prison for him now' - then I understood.

Posted November 16, 2007

Yea, well I recently graduated from here and I just wanted to say that this is an amazing school. Contrary to what some parents say, teachers do not pick on the kids here. In order to make that statement, one would have to attend the school and we all know how students exaggerate things. Now, there are a few teachers who joke with kids but only in good fun and if they see it is actually hurting the student they will stop. And kids picking on kids...come on,. that will happen anywhere you go. This is a great school to send your child to

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 87% in 2013.

339 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 81% in 2013.

422 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

419 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 91% in 2013.

460 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 96% in 2013.

504 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 89% in 2013.

497 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 81% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % satisfactory or better

In 2012-2013 Oklahoma used the Oklahoma Core Curriculum Tests End-of-Instruction (OCCT EOI) exams to test students in high school in several subjects. The OCCT EOI is a high school graduation requirement. The OCCT EOI exams are standards-based tests, which means they measure specific skills defined for each subject by the state of Oklahoma. The goal is for all students to score at or above the satisfactory level on the test.

Source: Oklahoma State Department of Education

Native American 5% 16%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 31%N/A61%
Special education 12%N/A15%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1000 Yukon Ave