St. Mary Star of the Sea School

Private | K-8 | 122 students

Living in Astoria

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $171,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $735.

Sweep tile

Posted July 25, 2013

This school has closed down :(. It was a part of the community for over 100 years. How sad.

Posted December 5, 2009

I went to this school for 6 years, and after I switched to public school, I had already learned the things that they were teaching there. I loved all the teachers and I had fun learning.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 15, 2008

St Mary Star of the Sea is an amazing school the fraze 'in this place we are blessed with gods grace' is so true there. Their mission statement 'a christ filled learning community witch fosters love, integrity and academic excellence'fits the school to a T.I know because i went to star preschool- 8th grade. The teachers and staff at star are amazing, they will grow to be more of a friend that a teacher. it really helps out a lot because then they are easier to talk too and learn from. St. Mary Star of the Sea school is an excellent school that i highly recommend to all parents that are seeking a good education for their child. Now when people ask me where i went to school i am proud to say i went to Star of the Sea school. Joe Mueller alumni
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 5, 2008

We have been very happy with the education we are getting by using Star of the Sea. I grew up on the Long Beach WA peninsula, and wanted more for my children then what Ocean Beach School dist 101 could give. I have high expectations, and they MUST be met! Both the wife and I have extensive backgrounds in science and math at Oregon State, and could not be more happy with the education that our daughter is getting! So much so that we are sending our son this year to Kindergarten at Star.

Posted November 25, 2007

Great school, caring, motivated teachers. A very special place for a child.

Posted July 21, 2007

Star is a great school for K-4 and maybe up to 6th grade but then it falls down. As a parent I pay for performance and the value of the learning environment. I no longer feel Star offers that and am expolring other avenues of education for my child where challenges in learning and creativity are expanded. I can get mediocre anywhere for free and I feel that what Star offers.

Posted September 28, 2006

Star is a winning school for us because my children are receiving a quality education. Star is a winning school for my children because they love going to school. For them it is more than a quality education, it is a lifestyle of learning, fun and friendship. Ethics are a part of the equation and these children are stronger for it. The principal, Dr. Terry Campbell, is an outstanding leader. The children love him. He is involved at every level. The teachers at Star give the children individual attention and allow them to grow and learn at their own pace. The parent involvement at the school is fun. I always look forward to helping out and feeling a part of the Star community. The Vetters

Posted August 13, 2006

We love SOTS! We moved from the public school to here last year and the difference is dramatic. Our children academic skills improved greatly. Their music program is very very good. We were impressed at how much this school, its teachers, and specially its principal enriched the lives of ouf our children. The Simmons'

Posted April 19, 2005

LOVE THIS SCHOOL! Teachers are exceptionally focused. Principal genuinely cares for not only the students, but the staff. Although Religion is taught, it is not forced on anyone. We've been at SOTS for 2 years now, and wish we could stay forever. I'm amazed at what she has learned at the 'K' level and am confident that it is much more than public school. Price is very reasonable for the amount and quality of education received.

Posted November 5, 2003

This school is a gem. The teachers are excellent and nurturing. The parent envolvment is extraordinary and it is all held together by a great principal. My son loves his school and can't wait to go every day.

Asian 6% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of Portland

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1411 Grand Ave