Beaverton, OR

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted July 12, 2015
The expectation at VCS middle school is a minimum of 3 hours a night of homework for a good student. This is not in line with the other private schools in the area nor the private high schools. When kids become freshmen in HS and the workload is significantly less there is a problem. Even at VCHS the freshmen workload is a fraction of that of the middle school.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 12, 2015
I have seen too many of the students at this school finish up and never want to step foot on the campus again. They have been demeaned and overworked. They break the students down.

Valley Catholic School 2

Posted July 12, 2015
the middle school was a huge disappointment to us. The academics were rigorous but the community of students and families was lacking. Only a handful of the 8th grade students stay for the high school and there have been many years that the freshman class is not even full. There is a disconnect there.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted July 07, 2015
At Valley we actually have a class that teaches us how to develop honesty,integrity and fairness.

Valley Catholic School 1

Posted April 14, 2015
There's a stringent assessment for Kindergartners. VCS requires your 4 year old to be able to write his own name before entering their kindergarten program. To be accepted you either have to be a Catholic or an "early starter". Ironically you send your child to school to learn knowledge but apparently they only accept those who already went through unnecessary forced early training.
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 12, 2015
LOVE this school! We have only experienced the middle school, but it has been such a blessing to our family. They expect the students to work hard, so if your child is serious about school and is organized and willing to put their nose to the grindstone, then they will do well. The music program is AMAZING! The middle school band? WOW! The middle school orchestra? Superb! The glee club and choir are a joy to listen to as well. These kids have PE/health, music and Spanish or French every day. You are going to be hard pressed to find another middle school in Beaverton that offers that. Class sizes? My child has less than 15 students in his math class. Most classes have more than that, but all class sizes are definitely reasonable. It has been worth every penny.

Valley Catholic School 2

Posted January 04, 2015
I am a current student at Valley and have been going there since Kindergarten. There are great academics and very driven students in the community. However, many of my teachers have been extremely verbally abusive to both me and my peers. I have also been severely bullied by said peers, and no action was taken to stop this, despite the school's no bullying policy. I suffer from a mental disorder now because of the emotional trauma this caused me. There is also a limit on the number of times a student can be absent before they have to ask to pass the semester, which is unfair to students who get sick easily. Students are also put under high amounts of stress. There are excessive amounts of homework put on younger children, and these children are also expected to participate in athletics, have good hygiene, have straight As, and get enough sleep. I feel like this should be improved.
8 people found this helpful

Posted September 16, 2014
I was a student at Valley Catholic from 6th grade to senior year and I can't even imagine going anywhere else. I thank my parents all the time for sending me there despite money issues, which the school helped with. Valley Catholic has an incredible staff that is more interested in teaching kids to be good people and how to succeed in life than in passing a meaningless test. VC has an amazing math and science program that taught me so much and inspired me to be a science major in college. The athletics are great at VC but the "non-athletes" are just as important to the atmosphere at Valley Catholic as the athletes. I could've been considered a jock, but VC's atmosphere made me want to branch out. I was a football player but I ha friends in drama, in band, in art club, and in computer sciences.VC helped us learn our stuff in academics but also in life. I recommend Valley Catholic completely to anyone with a child looking for a place to grow in all aspects of life. Side note: I even plan to send my future children to VC.

Posted December 05, 2013
Valley Catholic is a wonderful school. The teachers and administration are so supportive of their students. I was going to send my daughter to Jesuit but her 8th grade teacher said to try Valley instead. The staff is so supportive and you don't even have to be the "best athelete". My term for Valley would be compassionate.

Posted October 22, 2013
Amazing school that prepares kids for college. I highly recommend it. Has a friendly community, great teachers, and amazing sport and club opportunities.

4275 Southwest 148th Avenue, Beaverton, OR  97007
Last modified Valley Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Valley Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top