Bad
Good

I see a lot of comments about there being "no rules" at ACMA and am compelled to comment. I'm a parent with friends whose kids attend different schools in and out of the district and hear about all kinds of over-the-top micromanaging rules. I appreciate the fact that the ACMA faculty is not there to babysit our kids. The students are there to learn, not be nit picked about what they are wearing or if they are chewing gum or, in some cases, whether they wearing earphones. They hold my kid accountable. My kid has had to learn via natural consequences that you have to have discipline and integrity to succeed academically -- and as an artist. I believe this will benefit him as he transitions to college and the real world. Needless to say there are real consequences and disciplinary actions for situations involving drugs, bullying, etc. I also appreciate that there are lots of opportunities for kids to get involved in a variety of activities and that the teachers are interacting with the kids in a variety of ways. For example, the math and lit teachers are very involved in the theatre dept. My kid will leave ACMA feeling supported, encouaged, and respected as an individual. I hope your student finds the right fit, too, whether its ACMA or elsewhere.

ACMA has strong test scores and is academically challenging. The diversity of programs also enable students to become exceptional in their chosen pathway. We have a long waiting list. Once the school is rebuilt, we may have capacity for more students. My student has been attending for 4 years, and while she may complain about the rigorous expectations, she loves the artistic and open culture at the school.

VERY disappointed in this school. We had such high hopes! Kids have WAY too much freedom with no real structure. Teachers are not as connected as they should be. My son went from being a TAG student doing great in school to not caring about his assignemnts at all and not having any consequences at school for any of it, just at home. I busted the janitor driving VERY fast and wrecklessly in the parking lot & he never had any consequences for it. He's still there after 6 months. He could have hurt a kid considering there were several outside at the time. It's cool that the kids have special classes, my son loves it there because of that & because of the freedom but this school is the WORST I have dealt with so far when it comea to structure and really helping these kids thrive!

i really like it and i love the fact that we get to have all sorts of extra classes but i sorta feel like some of the calsses at my "grade level" aren't challenging enough. although that may just be the whole district as well.

I totally disagree with a previous reviewer regarding the school being not challenging. I find it mighty challenging - my daughter sometimes spends way into her bed time doing homework. Maybe the difference is that we did look into enrolling her in higher level classes (which is totally possible and encouraged by this school), for example - she is in 9th grade Pre-algebra whereas it is her 7th grade. May be it would be wise to look into something like that instead of complaining about lack of challenge - challenge your child, see how it can be done. Also I do not see how it will NOT look good on college application? Love the school, do not love new grading policy - confusing and discouraging to the students, but it was not invented by this school, was done by the District.

Great at art, which is its purpose, but I realized that won't look good on a college application. School should be fun, but I think their lack of rules here is bad, there is too much freedom, I find students becoming more lazy and irresponsable. There is a lot of bullying between middle and high school student and because its a school where you can be yourself tere are some dffernet people, and those who aren't different are sometimes shunned and not given the power to show their true capabilities. Overall its an okay school, jut wish academics were more challenging.

I'm a student at ACMA, and it's my first year there. Let me say: I love it. Love it to pieces. I did go to Mt. View last year, and I know that ACMA is my home-I don't belong anywhere else. Creative kids, whether you're a writer or a singer or a band geek, will fit in. Everyone is accepted, and everyone is loved.

Our school is amazing! It's a place where you can find your inner artist and express yourself through creativity. Though we are relatively small compared to other schools we make make a huge impact on the students. Art is something that most schools don't take seriously but here our whole curriculum is based on art. Our school's younger students are constantly interacting with some of AMA's oldest and are learning from them. This school breaks down the wall between teachers, students, falcuty and creates and unique learning enviorment where we can be ourselves.

Active, involved and nurturing staff. Unique student body. Classes that can't be found in other area schools.

ACMA is an amazing school, the people are nice and the teachers very friendly, beng surrounded by open minded people and beautiful works of art. I love ACMA it will forever be my home.

Last modified Arts & Communication High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.