School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Amazing school for my special needs child. He attended Nancy Ryles previously and was left behind and bullied but has found acceptance at McKay.
January 03, 2016

Bad
Good

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted January 03, 2016

Posted December 15, 2015
Mckay elementary has been a true blessing for us. We moved here 6 months ago and enrolled our son. Moving from the mountains in Colorado to Beaverton has been quite different for us. Our son has few ways about him which has made it hard on him since he started him in school 3yrs ago and he was shoed away instead of cared for and understood . Mckay and miss cook 1st grade teacher are the best school and teacher we have ever been involved with. Ever!! They'll go the long haul to make the children and parents feel almost like family our boy hated school and never wanted to go . Now he cries if he even has to miss a part of a day . Thank you Mckay!!

Mckay Elementary School 4

Posted February 27, 2015
Our kids have thrived with excellent teachers and the safe environment at McKay. This is great community with several opportunities for all its diverse students.

Posted August 24, 2012
My Step Daughter attended this school. She thrived and absolutely loved her teacher. It shouldn't be left soley to the teachers to educate children. It starts at home and should continue at home. Parents need to do their share of the work as well. This school offers several parent/student activites throughout the year. This is a great school and the administration goes above and beyond to ensure that the kids are taken care of.

Mckay Elementary School 4

Posted December 28, 2010
+ s: Small student body volunteer involvement - s:class size too large when over 25% ESL students attend, they receive title 10 money. The 2nd & 3rd grades are combined; still class size is 22 or more with one teacher. Plans are made to meet each students learning level but there was a recent attempt to decrease class time instruction so teachers could have more planning time. Some teachers have no insight on how they come across to students or parents or maybe are not concerned about it. At a parent teacher conference the instructor showed us a list and stated "this is what I am responsible to cover this year." So if the child is ready for more? We are taking responsibility to ensure our child isn't behind by middle school. This year regular homework assignments were discontinued (last year is wasn't being turned in). That's a poor solution and it doesn't prepare our kids. Site council meetings are held during the mid afternoon so working parents can't attend. Overall I like the school, but I would like see better communication with parents, attention to key learning skills and a way for families to give respectful feedback regularly (there is a end of year survey currently).

Mckay Elementary School

Posted October 14, 2009
great school, teachers my daughter loves going there and tells me everyday somenthing new that she learn....

Posted June 07, 2007
I have 3 kids in McKay. We have had a total of 5 different teachers in our time here so far. Every teacher has been great. When I ask a question, want to help or just want to chat about how our kids are doing, they have always given me their full attention. They are also very receptive to new ideas. I also find the principal easily approachable and receptive to new ideas.

Mckay Elementary School 2

Posted March 15, 2007
The report cards seem clinical, like they were copy and pasted on every student's comments section. That's impersonal to me. What about the individual student? I get the crank out the machine vibe.

Mckay Elementary School 3

Posted January 23, 2006
To me, the staff at this School has been split. Some of them have been very helpfull and go out of their way...others seem very snooty and put out by even the simplest request. I like the Teachers...The support staff could go!

Posted January 13, 2006
This school has great success becuase of extraordinary parent volunteers. Parents are older and participate in all activities, where as younger parents might not. The PTA is very strong in this school. McKay tested strong on report cards the last couple years and had some of the top scores across the nation.

Mckay Elementary School
7485 SW Scholls Ferry Rd, Beaverton, OR  97008
Last modified Mckay Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.