Health & Science School

Public | 6-12

Posted May 21, 2014

I was previously a student at this school, and it got so awful I had to transfer to my regular high school. I attended HS2 for 5 year, and it was the worst educational experience I ever had. Every year since 6th grade the curriculum changed, and made it nearly impossible to understand what was going on both in the school as a whole and in individual classes. There are no lockers, and many times I've complained to my doctor about back pain as a result. There are no deadlines, and it creates a terrible work ethic and does not prepare you for college at all. The school is a maze, its extremely difficult to get around, and most classrooms have no windows, giving it the feel of a prison. The classes have no structure, to this day I have holes in my math knowledge. The teachers have no connections with the students and many times I've had teachers that are not qualified for their jobs and do not know how to teach students. Even the "Health and Science" part is useless, as the engineering program is flawed and constantly changing and the medical program is underfunded despite the "grants" our school always tells us that we have been awarded. Please do not attend this school.

Posted April 22, 2014

This school is amazing! I can't believe some of the things that I've read on this site about the school. The start time is early but guess what? Sometimes you have to start work early too. The teachers and administration really care about the students. I have been very impressed with the student/staff interactions that I have seen. As far as academics, I don't think that they're lacking. My childs math teacher approached us about moving our child ahead a grade in math and even though our child didn't pass, the teacher has offered to put together the few things our child needs to learn in order to be where our child wants to be in the fall. The only complaint I have as far as this school is lack of parent involvement. It's very difficult to get parents to volunteer, attend activities, etc. I think that if more parents were involved they'd see what a great school this really is!

Posted April 22, 2014

I attended HS2 several years ago, and went immediately to a four-year university in their honors program afterwards. Yet I will say this flat-out: HS2 does not prepare students for college! Not in the slightest! I completely floundered during my freshman year because I hadn't been prepared for tests, due dates, regular homework, etc. I had to teach myself the skills I should've been taught before coming to college. Now don't get me wrong, I loved HS2 when I was a student there. I loved it because I could get A's in classes like Precalculus without being able to do any of the work myself. I loved that I could slack off and have no penalties for my laziness. I loved that the school's grading system confused my parents enough that I could get away with said laziness. But just because HS2 makes it easier to get a high school diploma doesn't mean it's college-preparatory. Send your kid to a real high school if you want them to succeed after graduation. "Self-governing education" is a joke and nothing but an excuse for students to be able to slack off and get A's for it.

Posted March 28, 2014

A lot of people are upset with this school because it encourages self-governing of education. I attended HS2 and I was part of both the engineering and biomedical track. This gave me enough college credit to skip a year of state college. On top of that, the hands-on experience was great. It's true that there isn't a ton of homework and that can be a disadvantage for college prep. However, if you want to excel in your learning, the teachers are always very open to teaching above classwork. I loved HS2 and graduated in 2013 and got accepted to an Ivy league university.

Posted March 8, 2014

It's way too well advertised. The school is terrible. I came to the school to get a good education and some science, maybe. All the classes are just like a regular middle school. No chemistry, no biology, nothing. All other option schools in the district have classes that go into the subject of what the school was made for. I also hate how the schedules change. I've had 2 Humanities teachers, 4 Mathematics teachers, 3 Science teachers, 3 P.E. teachers and 3 Fine Arts teachers. I'm in seventh grade and I ask my mom every week if I can transfer.

Posted January 26, 2014

They lured us in with the promise of a great education that would prepare our child for college. We quickly learned the truth. First HS2 starts and ends earlier than other schools. My child has to get up at 5:30am every morning to make sure they make it to school on time. There are also no lockers in the school so the students need to lug around heavy backpacks all day. The Humanities teacher is terrible. Our child, and even friends, complained that he was saying how everything wrong with society is because of white people. I am told he also uses bad words and one day our child came home asking what rated X movies were. Apparently he mentioned them in class. We contacted the school and nothing. Next we get an email from our child's new math teacher explaining that the original math teacher was fired for not teaching, giving assignments or tests. Everyone got an 'F' in the class. When we complained the new math teacher felt bad and offered to let our child come in and study during lunch time and retake chapter tests. Thankfully we were able to turn an F into an A. The school seems to have no sense of itself or any clear direction. We are exploring other school options

Posted December 9, 2013

I am a student at hs2, and to be honest this school is not very good. There were many good teachers at hs2, but, if you noticed the were, the school is constantly changing. They don't seem to have a very good foundation. My peers schedules were constantly changing, making it hard to make any good friends, and teachers are constantly being removed and replaced. I am in my third month here and ive already had 3 different math teachers and 2 different crew teachers. I came to this school to get a better education, because that is how this school is advertised, but I feel my iq dropping each time I speak to almost anybody here, even some of the teachers. The start time is ridiculous, (7:40) meaning kids who ride the bus have to be on the bus by 6:30. There are no due dates for anything, (although the teachers say there are, you wont get graded down if you turn the assignment in late, so long as it is before the end of the semester) and you have unlimited times to add on to an assignment if you missed something on the rubric. Last but not least

Posted September 19, 2013

My two children no longer attend this school; they learned a lot in math and were ahead of peers at their new high school, BUT having homework and papers with due dates and only one chance for tests was a shock to them at the new school. I am glad we changed schools before high school graduation because HS2's no-homework/no-need-to-study policy does not prepare students for college. My kids are both learning a third language now and they must study daily to maintain As or Bs. Their new high school principal actually told parents at open house any high school student who does not study should not expect to get all As or be able to study in college. Hs2 should embrace the fact that repetition and practice make better students - not five chances to get an A. No college professor or boss is going to give them that many chances to prove they know material.

Posted September 18, 2013

I'm a graduate from the class of 2012, and I need to be honest, this school was a complete joke. It did a very poor job of preparing students for college by having an almost total lack of tests and due dates. This made my transition to university very difficult. There were teachers who were incompetent and irresponsible, but the higher-ups ignored complaints from students and parents about them. There was a lack of stability as the entire structure of the school changed year by year (despite no longer being a brand-new school). And most of all, Health and Science was not the college preparatory institution it was billed as. Most of the graduates I know are going to PCC now instead of four-year universities, and there were many, many drop-outs. I would say choose a magnet school that's been established for longer and has more acclaim if you think your child needs an alternative school environment. Health and Science didn't even begin to live up to the expectations that my parents and I had for it.

Posted July 9, 2013

The school ranks lower than average for math and science which is very disappointing. There is one math teacher that is completely useless and has had literally hundreds of complaints from parents yet he is still allowed to teach!!! The principal appears to be good at getting industry sponsorship but that is where it stops. His administration skills are extremely weak and he essentially gives off the feeling that he does not care about the parents complaints. I would avoid sending your kids to this school and maybe look into ISB or another option school.

Posted June 14, 2013

Teachers don't care about the students success, they will just pass them along. This school is a joke! There is no teacher communication to parents unless your child is already failing and then its to late. No homework is a nice idea for the kids but that doesn't help prepare them for the future if they plan to attend college. If they don't pass a test they make it up by making a poster or keep retaking it; what does that teach them? In college if you fail a test you don't get more chances!! Isn't high school supposed to be that stepping stone toward college and real life? As adults we don't get redos in life. Teachers have hard jobs I get it but it's like they are all friends and this is more of a hang out than a job.

Posted March 10, 2013

The Homework issue: (I don't get why parents want this??) According to a 2001 review of more than 120 studies of homework and its effects by Professor Harris Cooper of Duke University, the country s leading homework researcher, and his updated 2006 review of an additional sixty studies, there is very little correlation between the amount of homework and achievement in elementary school and only a moderate correlation in middle school. Even in high school, too much homework may diminish its effectiveness or even become counterproductive, . According to a large study by the University of Michigan, family meals are the single strongest predictor of better achievement scores and fewer behavioral problems for children ages three to twelve [Journal of Marriage and the Family, May 2001]. According to the American Psychological Association, typical school children today report more anxiety than did child psychiatric patients in the 1950s [Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, December 2000]. Kids are more sedentary than ever before [Changing Times of American Youth:1981 2003]. So, before you bash a school for their "no homework" policy, please do yours.

Posted June 3, 2012

Poor administration, the principal doesn't have an idea of how to adminiteer a school, he has no communication with teachers, neither to parents, he recruited his friends teachers who will not complain about his bad administration, the vice-principal is an anti-open culture administration. So sad our tax money is to pay their salaries. F of failure.

Posted July 20, 2010

HS2 has an excellent principal. He has a fantastic public relations style, knows his students, relates to the parents and reaches out to the community for support. He has recruited outstanding teachers. The school has been successful in securing support from local organizations and much appreciated grants. HS2 is a fantastic place for my student (who started in 6th grade).

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Oregon used the Oregon Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (OAKS) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math; in grade 11 in writing; and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in science. The OAKS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Oregon. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 67% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students59%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 14% 4%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 47%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

18640 NW Walker Rd