Beaverton, OR

Health & Science School 5

Posted October 09, 2014
I don't know why they have such bad reviews, but this school has been great. I've been going to this school since 6th grade (2011) and even though they changed the schedule a twice it's been the same the past four years. Now I'm in 10th grade and I have to say that they have great high school program. This school provides opportunities to volunteer, be an intern, and participate in programs. I also love the fact that by Sophomore year the student gets to choose between the Engineering program or the Human Body Systems program (it's more in depth about Biology). I was blessed to participate in their Lewis & Clark Science League Program, Tualatin Fire & Valley Rescue Program, Kaiser Medical Explorers Program and Red Cross Volunteering. As long as the student has a passion for learning and gets good grades, it's very easy to apply and be accepted. The staff is also great. All my teachers have been helpful and encourage the students to learn. In my years here only one teacher stood out as negative and as a result was fired. Overall, this school is great!

Health & Science School 3

Posted August 11, 2014
I was a student at this school from 6th grade to 10th grade (in the first group that could go all the way through from middle to high school) the school was very strong for the first 3 years. We had strong teachers, spirit, and leadership in the administration. Then freshman year rolled around and a huge portion of our teachers were either moved to different schools, or laid off because of a district ruling. This led to a massive loss in morale, and brought in some new teachers that i have yet to see surpassed in the inability to connect with the students or follow the grading system. Freshman year went by and the loyal group of middle schoolers had become worn out and lost their hope for the school. Sophmore year led to a teacher who took half of the hard working class from high GPAs to medium Gpas, because she had control of two of the classes and could link the grades (two Fs at once if you failed) and the administration did nothing. Maybe they had no power, if so i was never told. The school offered so much (dual credit, college readiness, and a sense of community) it delivered on only the community; a community that was united by the knowledge we had been lied to.

Posted May 21, 2014
I was previously a student at this school, and it got so awful I had to transfer to my regular high school. I attended HS2 for 5 year, and it was the worst educational experience I ever had. Every year since 6th grade the curriculum changed, and made it nearly impossible to understand what was going on both in the school as a whole and in individual classes. There are no lockers, and many times I've complained to my doctor about back pain as a result. There are no deadlines, and it creates a terrible work ethic and does not prepare you for college at all. The school is a maze, its extremely difficult to get around, and most classrooms have no windows, giving it the feel of a prison. The classes have no structure, to this day I have holes in my math knowledge. The teachers have no connections with the students and many times I've had teachers that are not qualified for their jobs and do not know how to teach students. Even the "Health and Science" part is useless, as the engineering program is flawed and constantly changing and the medical program is underfunded despite the "grants" our school always tells us that we have been awarded. Please do not attend this school.

Health & Science School 5

Posted April 22, 2014
This school is amazing! I can't believe some of the things that I've read on this site about the school. The start time is early but guess what? Sometimes you have to start work early too. The teachers and administration really care about the students. I have been very impressed with the student/staff interactions that I have seen. As far as academics, I don't think that they're lacking. My childs math teacher approached us about moving our child ahead a grade in math and even though our child didn't pass, the teacher has offered to put together the few things our child needs to learn in order to be where our child wants to be in the fall. The only complaint I have as far as this school is lack of parent involvement. It's very difficult to get parents to volunteer, attend activities, etc. I think that if more parents were involved they'd see what a great school this really is!

Posted April 22, 2014
I attended HS2 several years ago, and went immediately to a four-year university in their honors program afterwards. Yet I will say this flat-out: HS2 does not prepare students for college! Not in the slightest! I completely floundered during my freshman year because I hadn't been prepared for tests, due dates, regular homework, etc. I had to teach myself the skills I should've been taught before coming to college. Now don't get me wrong, I loved HS2 when I was a student there. I loved it because I could get A's in classes like Precalculus without being able to do any of the work myself. I loved that I could slack off and have no penalties for my laziness. I loved that the school's grading system confused my parents enough that I could get away with said laziness. But just because HS2 makes it easier to get a high school diploma doesn't mean it's college-preparatory. Send your kid to a real high school if you want them to succeed after graduation. "Self-governing education" is a joke and nothing but an excuse for students to be able to slack off and get A's for it.

Health & Science School 4

Posted March 28, 2014
A lot of people are upset with this school because it encourages self-governing of education. I attended HS2 and I was part of both the engineering and biomedical track. This gave me enough college credit to skip a year of state college. On top of that, the hands-on experience was great. It's true that there isn't a ton of homework and that can be a disadvantage for college prep. However, if you want to excel in your learning, the teachers are always very open to teaching above classwork. I loved HS2 and graduated in 2013 and got accepted to an Ivy league university.

Posted March 08, 2014
It's way too well advertised. The school is terrible. I came to the school to get a good education and some science, maybe. All the classes are just like a regular middle school. No chemistry, no biology, nothing. All other option schools in the district have classes that go into the subject of what the school was made for. I also hate how the schedules change. I've had 2 Humanities teachers, 4 Mathematics teachers, 3 Science teachers, 3 P.E. teachers and 3 Fine Arts teachers. I'm in seventh grade and I ask my mom every week if I can transfer.

Posted January 26, 2014
They lured us in with the promise of a great education that would prepare our child for college. We quickly learned the truth. First HS2 starts and ends earlier than other schools. My child has to get up at 5:30am every morning to make sure they make it to school on time. There are also no lockers in the school so the students need to lug around heavy backpacks all day. The Humanities teacher is terrible. Our child, and even friends, complained that he was saying how everything wrong with society is because of white people. I am told he also uses bad words and one day our child came home asking what rated X movies were. Apparently he mentioned them in class. We contacted the school and nothing. Next we get an email from our child's new math teacher explaining that the original math teacher was fired for not teaching, giving assignments or tests. Everyone got an 'F' in the class. When we complained the new math teacher felt bad and offered to let our child come in and study during lunch time and retake chapter tests. Thankfully we were able to turn an F into an A. The school seems to have no sense of itself or any clear direction. We are exploring other school options

Posted December 09, 2013
I am a student at hs2, and to be honest this school is not very good. There were many good teachers at hs2, but, if you noticed the were, the school is constantly changing. They don't seem to have a very good foundation. My peers schedules were constantly changing, making it hard to make any good friends, and teachers are constantly being removed and replaced. I am in my third month here and ive already had 3 different math teachers and 2 different crew teachers. I came to this school to get a better education, because that is how this school is advertised, but I feel my iq dropping each time I speak to almost anybody here, even some of the teachers. The start time is ridiculous, (7:40) meaning kids who ride the bus have to be on the bus by 6:30. There are no due dates for anything, (although the teachers say there are, you wont get graded down if you turn the assignment in late, so long as it is before the end of the semester) and you have unlimited times to add on to an assignment if you missed something on the rubric. Last but not least

Health & Science School 3

Posted September 19, 2013
My two children no longer attend this school; they learned a lot in math and were ahead of peers at their new high school, BUT having homework and papers with due dates and only one chance for tests was a shock to them at the new school. I am glad we changed schools before high school graduation because HS2's no-homework/no-need-to-study policy does not prepare students for college. My kids are both learning a third language now and they must study daily to maintain As or Bs. Their new high school principal actually told parents at open house any high school student who does not study should not expect to get all As or be able to study in college. Hs2 should embrace the fact that repetition and practice make better students - not five chances to get an A. No college professor or boss is going to give them that many chances to prove they know material.

Health & Science School
18640 NW Walker Rd, Beaverton, OR  97006
Last modified Health & Science School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Health & Science School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top