Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School 1

Posted March 03, 2014
I called to ask for a tour since we just moved to town and my daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall. The secretary told me I had missed the informational sessions and I was out of luck. There is now (March 3) absolutely NO way for me to see the school or talk to any of the administrators. This is in contrast to high lakes, whose informational sessions also didn't mesh with our schedule and they went out of their way to find something that worked for us. I guess we'd rather go there now anyway, but as someone who pays taxes and routines gives money to local schools, I was not impressed with my first interaction with the Highlands school.

Posted December 15, 2010
Earned Oregon's top rating, "Outstanding" on the 2009-10 Oregon Department of Education State School Report Card. Only 37% of Oregon schools earned the same rating statewide.

Posted November 19, 2009
The teachers are all dedicated to ongoing training in storyline method. Storyline has been a fabulous way to bring learning to life! My second grader loves going to school here! We as a family are appreciative of the administration as a whole.

Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2009
This is a great school full of creativity and strong expectations. I love coming to eat lunch with my child (which you will find the principal and vice principal there everyday!!!). Communication is clear and quick. I would just hope that some parents and teachers would leave the politics out of the school and admin building. We are very happy and feel luck to have our children experience storyline.

Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School 0

Posted March 31, 2009
We have been at Highland now for a year. Transferring from another Bend School. We are happy with the academics and the storyline is so much fun. We are very disappointed with the safety and security measures. Because of the parking issues, the back doors are unlocked during school hours. Anyone can come and go as freely as they please. The office is located at the front of the school, therefore, no accountability to whom enters our school. Classrooms and children are accessible to anyone. Not good. We also came from a school where the principal was always present. Nobody ever seems to see the principal here at Highland. I would love to see these things change so we can remain and feel confident at Highland.

Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School 4

Posted September 30, 2008
Highland is a magnate school. That means it is a public school that draws from the school district, versus immediate neighborhood. The focus is on the Scottish Storyline Method of teaching which is experiential--classrooms develop story lines about the area of study with individual characters, dramas, field trips, art, music, food, etc.-- that make it fun to learn about the time. Highland has great teachers and parents and I rate it high, but it is a political place. I have seen a 'not invented here' attitude with the administration when a new teacher with great ideas rocks the boat. The new teacher that the children and parents love is let go in favor of the status quo, very disappointing. Still, I would not let this keep you from entering the lottery to attend. Storyline is a fabulous experience and Highland is the only elementary devoted to it.

Posted July 29, 2008

Posted June 21, 2006

Posted January 19, 2006
This is a great school! The parent participation is higher than any school I have ever been associated with. The staff is strong. The only problems I have with it are poor parking and they still don't have a music teacher.

Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School
701 NW Newport Ave, Bend, OR  97701
Last modified Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Highland School At Kenwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top