Elk Meadow Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2014
Our daughter has been at Elk Meadow for 4 years now. At one point we moved and had to change schools, the differences between the 2 schools was night and day! Elk Meadow has a fabulous group of teachers, or daughter has thrived being here!

Elk Meadow Elementary School 4

Posted October 15, 2013
Our son is in his second year at Elk Meadow. We moved from another state and it's been a great experience! The teachers he has had have been wonderful and caring. He has made friends and is excelling academically. We feel a part of the Elk Meadow Community. The one fundraiser they do is the Great Pumpkin Race so our kids don't have to go door to door selling things. I recommend this school!

Elk Meadow Elementary School 1

Posted October 14, 2013
All I can say is that we spent 3 1/2 years here, dealing with bullying, an incident with a teacher who should not be teaching elementary school, complete apathy from the staff, not including Sue in the front office who is great, and just a general feeling of being unwelcome. We were constantly being called at home regarding our child's "behavior" and response to difficult situations, and never ever felt validated, or heard. Our child fell behind in critical academic subjects. School was a daily stress and we thought our child had serious problems and wondered if he/she would make it in society. After moving our child to a different school, we cannot believe the difference!! We are completely baffled at the changes we see for the positive! Our child has many friends, a school full of loving staff who have made the most amazing differences in our child!! Our child is excited for school every day!!! This is something that never happened! Our child never felt safe at Elk Meadow. That's what apathy will do to a building. I am grateful everyday that we made this move for our child. The future is bright for the first time since pre-K.

Elk Meadow Elementary School 1

Posted May 28, 2013
I would like to bring up a safety issue regarding the 'commute options' program going on at Elk Meadow Elementary. I am a resident of river rim, which I enter and exit River Rim drive and Brookswood daily. Last week, during a very busy traffic day (before Memorial Day Weekend) I was attempting to exit River Rim onto Brookswood Blvd. There were children all over the place (dozens, maybe 40-50) on bicycles with orange pinnies. Some had crossed the road and were back on school property, some crossing the road (in the road), some where lingering far behind on River Rim drive. I bring this up as a concerned parent. I've witnessed some speeding drivers fly up and down Brookswood at dangerous speeds. I've found myself having to run across the street with my dog to feel safe as speeding cars approach. I only could pinpoint one adult supervising all these children, with children in front and behind her. These kids have NO busines being on busy streets while in school. If you're a parent of a child at Elk Meadow, give this a second thought. I would never want my child to be off school property learning how to commute via bicycle. Too dangerous!

Posted August 21, 2012
Elk Meadow Elementary School continues to excel and offer exciting and innovative programs for kids! This year, The Bend-La Pine School District has approved Elk Meadow's proposal to become an "Integrated Arts Focus School." This is an exciting way to integrate the arts (visual arts, performing arts, etc...) into all areas of study. Congratulations to the staff for being innovative and making school relevant and fun for students! Thanks for your hard work and dedication. What a wonderful school!

Posted June 13, 2012
This is an exceptional school! Bruce Reynolds is the Principal and he is the current Principal of the year for the entire state of Oregon!! He is introducing lots of exciting changes. We are so lucky that our daughters attend this school. Please don't let the one review below sway you from this school. ALL schools these days are focused on state standards and standardized tests. However, this school is filled with empathetic, creative teachers who work HARD. The population is filled with plenty of hard working families who take afternoons off to help out in the classroom ! The hallways certainly are NOT scrubbed of creativity!! The events are well attended and there is a dynamic PTO who work together to create fun events that raise money for the school! If you are looking for a place full of empathetic teachers and an award winning Principal who is smart, approachable and forward facing, then Elk Meadow is your place. And, if you want to complain...and no school is perfect so I expect there to be complaints.... then why not attend a PTO meeting or two rather than hiding behind your computer and writing an unfair review that has scared families away from Elk Meadow?

Elk Meadow Elementary School 2

Posted January 14, 2012
Hoping that the new principal will improve the school's learning environment and encourage teachers to get creative with the dry, uninspiring district-imposed curriculum. The school is unwelcoming of parental input regarding most aspect of learning, with very few exceptions. Advanced, gifted learners are neglected, as most teachers are busy instructing children to prepare for the Big Test in the springtime. Most of the hallways' walls are sanitized and scrubbed clean of any evidence that creativity and excitement for learning exist within the building. School community activities are poorly attended, yet the teaching community haven't a clue as to why there aren't more parental participation? Of course, there are exceptions of some great teachers who are able to inspire children to learn. But these teachers are a rarity in a school that adopts the school district's mandate to push children through an educational assembly line that ultimately numbs a child's desire to investigate knowledge for knowledge's sake, and extinguish the creative spirit.

Posted June 10, 2011
My girls just finished a partial year with Elk Meadow, and it was out first at this school. We all really liked it there. The teacher and staff welcomed them and they did awesome. We have been to two other schools in the area (one public, one private) and this was definitely our favorite.

Posted December 15, 2010
Earned Oregon's top rating, "Outstanding" on the 2009-10 Oregon Department of Education State School Report Card. Only 37% of Oregon schools earned the same rating statewide.

Posted August 14, 2009
The staff is excellant on every level.The teachers work with their students by constantly pushing them to do more and do their best.

Elk Meadow Elementary School
60880 Brookswood Blvd, Bend, OR  97702
Last modified Elk Meadow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Elk Meadow Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top