No rating

Ashbrook Independent School

Private | PK-8

Living in Corvallis

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $237,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted May 28, 2014

I have been a teacher and school counselor for over ten years, and I would not recommend Ashbrook Independent School. My child had an awful experience at this school despite being an excellent student and a really nice, well-behaved kid. I found the administration to be very difficult to work with and not supportive or responsive. Ashbrook's curriculum is not unique or challenging compared to local public schools; instead, it seemed inferior in some content areas as I had to supplement my child's math instruction at home to keep him challenged. I thought the school might have a better social environment, but that was not the case. Ashbrook has students with behavioral issues, and the school's small size makes it difficult to avoid certain peers. I chose Ashbrook because of its small class size, but the school felt a little too small. Most concerning to me was the lack of care the administration showed towards my and other children. The warmth and compassion that is so vital in a school is noticeably absent from Ashbrook. Be sure to talk to current and former parents if you are considering this school. I was personally and professionally very disappointed in Ashbrook!

Posted May 22, 2014

Ashbrook is a truly amazing educational resource to have in our community. Schools of this caliber are typically only found in larger cities. The school offers an exceptional science, language, and arts program, in additional to thorough coverage of the traditional core topics. The teachers are dedicated and talented, the facility is exceptional, and the community is generally supportive. Ask parents whose children have gone through Ashbrook, and they will tell you that their children are very well prepared for high school and will frequently place out of many freshman level courses. Ashbrook is not and does not pretend to be a good choice for everyone. Students are expected to be intellectually capable, behaviorally well-adjusted, and self-motivated. Further, parents are expected to be involved with both their children's education and with the school. We have found Ashbrook to be an excellent choice for our family and would strongly encourage interested families to visit the school and judge for yourself.

Posted May 19, 2014

My child had a fantastic experience at this school for 10 years and has really missed the quality of teaching since she moved on to public school. Today she said she wishes she could take middle school history all over again. That said be aware that AIS has experienced huge shifts in educational philosophy, teaching style, and teachers in the last few years with Common Core and recent administrations so it is very different from when my daughter went through. Talk with current parents and teachers to make sure it's a good fit for your family. There is now a very high homework load starting at age 6, transitions are every half hour, there is little time for science or history in the lower school given all the electives which cut into classroom time. There is zero parent voice in decision making and school improvement plans, and big changes are launched without any announcement, so be prepared to take it or leave it as is.

Posted May 12, 2014

Our school is Ashbrook Independent School, having been a member of the Ashbrook community for 7+ years I think I have a broad perspective of the school, teachers, administration and board. While I'd always thought the education my children were receiving was stellar based on their achievements both academically and socially, I now have empirical proof that the framework\foundation received at Ashbrook makes a difference. I see it in every course my high school student takes - every time the grades come home - every time I hear about the peers in the classroom. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my high school student got where she is today because of the foundation received at Ashbrook. All communities grow and change - Ashbrook is a place for both - make a difference - join our community - you'll be glad you did!

Posted May 7, 2014

I'm grateful for the many ways Ashbrook has both challenged and nurtured our children. They've thrived all along, growing up in that supportive and creative community; now they're confident teenagers, extremely well-prepared for high school and beyond.

Posted May 2, 2014

vI have a junior in high school who went to Ashbrook from pre-K through 8th grade and a current Ashbrook 6th grader. Ashbrook has been the perfect choice for both of them. The school provides a rigorous curriculum, creative learning opportunities (e.g., arts, music, theater, and a whole suite of amazing electives not offered elsewhere, including fly fishing!), and a supportive and safe environment. Compared to other private schools of this caliber, the tuition is incredibly reasonable.

Posted April 30, 2014

If you are looking for a school that has small class sizes and pushes your child to learn, then Ashbrook is the place! I have two children in High School that went to Ashbrook from pre-K through 8th grade. They found the transition into High school to be very easy. They were given the tools throughout lower school to learn to think on their own and be challenged in the classroom. In addition to the core classes, they were challenged in public speaking, performed plays and a foreign language. Most importantly they learned what it takes to study to give them a leg up when they entered high school. I would recommend Ashbrook for any student who is motivated and wants to excel.

Posted April 30, 2014

Not every student has a great experience at Ashbrook. My child has qualified for the Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth and has been identified as a gifted child. My child is a leader in Scouting. My child is still recovering from the poor even nasty treatment he received from the teachers and administration at Ashbrook. It's not always about "fit", but sometimes about those in charge.

Posted April 30, 2014

Ashbrook Independent School has been a wonderful experience for our family from PK-8th grade. The safe environment, the academic rigor, the excellent teachers, the small class size, and the plenty of extracurricular opportunities and activities fully enriched our children s lives. Ashbrook has been our extended family. We found friends through our children. I highly recommend Ashbrook to parents that have high academic and personal standards.

Posted April 29, 2014

Ashbrook Independent School is a gem! We have children in both the upper and the lower grades and have been impressed by the extraordinary group of teachers, staff, faculty and families at this school. The teachers bring energy, dedication and passion into the classroom and provide the students with an exceptional educational experience in a safe setting. In addition, the students themselves are creative, kind and curious... all characteristics that are valued in the classroom. We feel truly fortunate to have our children here!

Posted April 29, 2014

Ashbrook has shown wonderful support to our family. I would highly recommend going for a tour and checking out this amazing school.

Posted April 29, 2014

My daughter attended Ashbrook and went on to achieve a 4.0 in high school, then went on to graduate from an Ivy League college. Ashbrook did a great job in laying a foundation for her later success.

Posted April 28, 2014

My children attend the lower school and LOVE it. Their teachers care about them very much and they have made strong friendships with other girls and boys were are similarly bright, motivated, and supported at home. All schools have challenges; however, there has never been one day in my children's years here that has had me consider a different school for them. They are thriving intellectually and socially. It is a small community and it is true that it is not for everyone. There are high standards of academic ability and behavior. I feel that sometimes what should be chalked up to "not a good fit" is manipulated out of frustration and regret into a charge that Ashbrook is not a good place for anyone, and this is simply not true. The remarks regarding the donor tree are nonsense; families do not buy success or attention here and many are making real financial sacrifices to provide this opportunity for their children. There's a recycled $1 clothing rack for and parents use it! I am thankful every day that my children attend here.

Posted April 28, 2014

Ashbrook is unique in that the school board, administration, staff, students, parents and community accept and support the school s mission, learning expectations, values and vision. Ashbrook is a school that believes student learning is the fundamental purpose of their existence. Ashbrook sets the example for others to follow in terms of academic rigor, teacher quality, and providing new opportunities for students. Ashbrook sets high standards for not only academic achievement but for behavior too! The culture of community and thoughtfulness that Ashbrook creates makes our family feel heard, well cared for, and supported. We love Ashbrook.

Posted April 28, 2014

I have been very pleased with my children s experience at Ashbrook Independent School for the past six years. I chose to send my children to AIS because of the small class-size, high expectations and standards (for both behavior and academics), and variety in elective classes and languages. My children have not only been taught a curriculum that goes above and beyond the state standards, but they have also learned excellent speaking, organization and study skills. They get individual attention from all of their teachers, and the curriculum is differentiated within the classroom for high performers. While the social setting is small, my children have learned excellent interpersonal skills in working and playing with peers. I have had very positive experiences with the administration. They have worked with and been supportive of my family about food allergy safety, and curriculum advice and adjustments. My child who has graduated from AIS continues to excel in the public high school in the Honors and AP classes. I would highly recommend this school to parents who have high standards for learning and expected behavior.

Posted April 28, 2014

Ashbrook's caring, devoted teachers make learning exciting and engaging for the students. The teachers truly love their job and their students. It is consistently demonstrated in their daily communication, individualized attention to the students and parents, and overall support. I highly recommend Ashbrook to anyone seeking a quality school that provides children with well-rounded educational experiences!

Posted April 28, 2014

Ashbrook Independent School is a fantastic school. The students are focused and eager to learn. Outside guests have always been impressed by the level of maturity in actions and words displayed the students. The core courses are rigorous and prepare the students to be very successful in high school. This environment inspires the faculty to create elective courses that support the whole child while helping them learn new skills that can be used in future endeavors.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 28, 2014

Ashbrook is a school that goes above and beyond what is taught in the public school. The small class size aside, it is the learning environment , the enrichment and the interaction of the grades (lower school and middle school) which makes it unique. Our students have an opportunity for hands on experiences with many more aspects of the curriculum and the advanced skills that they learn at Ashbrook lead them to a very successful high school experience.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 28, 2014

We have a child in the lower school and another in the upper school. Our children have different learning styles and personalities but both love Ashbrook. The school's structure seems to provide a solid framework for encouraging not only academic growth but also well rounded, confident kids. The teachers have been especially impressive. A group of pretty inspiring, caring, top-notch staff members. We've always been believers in supporting public schools but the differences and opportunities available at Ashbrook caused us to switch schools.

Posted March 12, 2014

Ashbrook has been the best decision we could have made for our bright child. He attended a Corvallis public school for several years before Ashbrook. Although he did well academically, the classrooms were packed with students with very high behavioral needs, and he was rarely challenged. We also saw some significant gaps in his knowledge in subjects other than reading and math. The teachers were so busy with 34 kids, they really could not attend attend to ongoing science and history lessons. At Ashbrook, he has been challenged, and continues to love learning. He adores being in a classroom full of learners without behavioral issues. His teachers are organized and excellent, and he loves every one of them. Ashbrook is not for everyone, and they state that clearly from the onset. They have rigorous academic and behavioral standards, but if your child meets those, there is no place like it in Corvallis or the mid-valley in general.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 4%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAEYC
  • NAPSEC

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4045 Southwest Research Way