PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

My children have attended Ashbrook for the past 4 years. We love the school. The teachers are outstanding. The education they are receiving is the best in Corvallis.

My child had a fantastic experience at this school for 10 years and has really missed the quality of teaching since he moved on to public school. I am very grateful for our years at this school. At the same time please be sure your child is a good fit for the school because it can be unpleasant otherwise. And I recommend enrolling in grades 4+.

Amount of homework: no rating

The answer depends entirely on the student. One of my kids rarely had homework because he completed it in class. My other child was drowning in homework - because the school and her grade were not a great fit for her.

My child had a horrible experience at Ashbrook Independent School, but I can happily report that my child is doing great and is much happier at another school now. Our experience had nothing to do with our honor-roll student, and everything to do with the way our child was treated by students and the Administration. The school is not a healthy, nurturing environment. If I could do it all over again, I would not enroll my child at Ashbrook; it is my one regret as a parent. I hope you can learn from my mistake...choose better than Ashbrook for your precious child!

Amount of homework: Disagree

A lot of these children are over scheduled in their after school activities and it is up to them/families to employ good time management. The local high schools no longer count/grade homework which could be an issue. My kids averaged around 30 minutes of homework a night.

Four children and 14 years at this school -Ashbrook must be doing something right! Our children were NEVER bored, were surrounded by other successful children and had a solid groundwork that allowed them to excel in their competitive high schools and beyond. The school must fit the child and the child must fit the school in order to be truly satisfied. The middle school electives are pretty amazing and the teachers are excited about their classes and students. This not a 'special needs' school, rather it is a 'college prep' environment which demands a lot from the students. It is small enough for individual attention, but if you're expecting the equivalent of having a private tutor for your child you best look elsewhere! The Administration has always addressed any issues if they were valid- emotions tend to run high among the parents at times. Visit Ashbrook. Make your own decision!

If you have a high energy child this is not the place for you. They will find a way to cull you from the herd. Their support teachers (gym, music, language) teachers are nice but are not trained to teach Younger kids. Their expectations to sit quietly for an hour and walk in a straight line without saying anything is not realistic and seems to be a constant struggle for all of those teachers. If you have a child that has any kind of attention deficit or extra energy save your money. They are most interested in you volunteering your time and money and less about helping all of their diverse student population be successful. Ours was a terribly expensive and emotionally damaging experiments for our young child. He was bullied by the older kids and was singled out by the principal. The principal is terribly inexperienced and should be replaced with someone that understands better what kids need in a healthy school. The same rules should be applied to all children no matter how much or how little their parents donate. Stay away from this school.

I have been a teacher, school counselor, and parent at various private and public schools in Corvallis, and Ashbrook Independent School is NOT a school I would recommend for any student. My child had an awful experience at this school despite being an excellent student and a nice, well-behaved kid. I found the administration to be very difficult to work with and not supportive or responsive. The curriculum is not unique or challenging; instead it was inferior to area public schools in some content areas, and I had to supplement my child's math instruction at home. The school has students with behavioral issues, and its small size makes it difficult to avoid certain peers. I like small schools, but Ashbrook Independent School felt too small, and my child found it socially stifling. Most concerning to me was the lack of care the administration showed towards my and other students. The warmth and compassion that is so vital to a school is noticeably absent from this school. I was personally and professionally very disappointed by Ashbrook Independent School!

I am amazed by reviewers who state that Ashbrook does not compare to the academic rigor of the public schools. Our child's bright friends who attend public school are about a year behind her in math and writing and do not even take history. Please visit Ashbrook and talk to current students before making your choice.

I was very disappointed by Ashbrook. It advertises itself to be an excellent educational option, but in reality it doesn't measure up to local public schools. In terms of academic rigor and student behavior, I have been far more impressed with our neighborhood school and its students. My child is very bright and was bored at Ashbrook, so we moved on and are so glad we did! I would not recommend Ashbrook.

Last modified Ashbrook Independent School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8