Posted August 22, 2013
Corvallis Montessori School was like a second home for our son from when he was 3.5 until he left at age 9. We loved CMS and the caring, loving environment it provided for the children. There was not a single day that our son wasn't excited to go to school. He had wonderful teachers who supported and helped sustain his interest in and love of learning. When leaving 4th grade, he was reading at the 8th grade level. We also truly appreciate the emphasis placed on helping kids focus and work in depth with a subject, and the self-regulating abilities that the Montessori approach teaches. In this media focused age, we also greatly value how Montessori shies away from all things related to media characters and mainstream commercialism. We couldn't have asked for a better school for our child.

Posted August 21, 2013
Excellent! I have had my children in the school since they were 4 and 2 1/2, now beginning their 6th year there. Montessori is a wonderful method that attends to 360 of the child, shaping their lives, as well as their minds. Corvallis Montessori has a warm and kind environment for my children. The guides are loving. The school is integral to our lives.

Corvallis Montessori School 4

Posted August 21, 2013
My daughter went to CMS from 2.5 years old through 5th grade. In spite of some rocky turnovers, she came out of CMS ahead of the curve.. She is now in 8th grade, straight A student, and is going into geometry. When she started in 6th grade, she was put into prealgebra which unfortunately she was bored in (but she loved her teacher). She decided she was going to skip a year in math and start algebra in 7th grade (there is a math class between PA and A). She took a couple math books home over the summer, studied and took the math placement test that August. She went into Algebra for 7th grade. What I like most about Montessori is how they teach kids to be self directed and self motivated for learning new skills. Sometimes they need a push, but they are getting the tools. That is more important to me than just rote memorization of facts that get forgotten after a month. Her 6th grade language arts teacher was very impressed with her writing. They did rough drafts and then edited for the final. My daughter was one of only 2 kids that edited the rough draft for content and improvement rather than just spelling and punctuation.

Posted August 21, 2013
Corvallis Montessori School was my daughter's second home for five years, and what a home it was. It was a safe, caring environment where the teachers, guides and head of school knew her well and made clear that they cared about her. Everything about the classroom was tailored to her age and developmental level and, while she had the freedom to explore any of the hundreds of hands-on activities, she was gently ad expertly guided by her her teacher to help her find the ones that were most appropriate. She learned not just to read, but to love reading and to seek out here own books. She learned not just how to do division and multiplication, but understood in a very concrete way how the operations worked. She didn't just make friends, she was taught how to handle conflict in an appropriate way and work through problems peaceably. We really loved this place and, once she had aged out of the early elementary program, she was very well prepared for public school. The transition was painless. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted August 20, 2013
Enrolling my children in Corvallis Montessori was the best parenting decision I ever made. I have had children in the toddler, primary, and elementary levels. In reading, my child jumped up 5 grade levels in 1.5 years. My children learn math concepts tangibly, intuitively, that I struggled with even into adulthood. In this era of attention disorders, I especially value a learning environment that allows a child to pursue an interest in depth and focus on it as long as they are interested--instead of having to switch subjects at 30-40 minute increments. The blended age classrooms enable older children to teach younger children, which reinforces the lessons and fosters self-esteem. My children have also enjoyed learning theater, spanish, science, and art from local experts.

Corvallis Montessori School 2

Posted May 22, 2013
My children attended for 6 and 3 years respectively. We finally pulled out, and I wish we had done so earlier. This school just seems to never be able to pull it together and find stability, one erratic leader after another. So much turnover in teaching staff. The upper level classroom just doesn't work. I've heard story after story from other parents about how their kids were very far behind after attending elementary level for three years, as was true of my child as well. The much-vaunted 'peacemaking' procedure seemed to never be utilized. Too bad, because there is so much potential for Montessori teaching methods, most of the guides are really talented and caring, and so many of the parents believe in the philosophy and want to support the school. But constantly changing leadership has worn away at the community good will and engagement. I would discourage any of my friends and acquaintances from attending; not that I need to as most of them already know it's an unstable place anyway. Really, the mystery is why we stuck with it as long as we did. Wanted to believe.

Corvallis Montessori School 0

Posted September 25, 2009
This school is a true interdependent community. Where else can you buy fresh laid organic free range eggs from a 2nd grader's farm project? Children don't have to be put through the SUCCEED extruder -they thrive on the respect they receive for their own authentic interests; trust is in the process of child development which keeps teachers and parents from intruding. I can see a difference in the kids who attend - they're so confident and work hard because they are genuinely excited about the work they do.

Corvallis Montessori School 0

Posted September 24, 2009
CMS is raising the next generation of peace makers!

Posted September 25, 2006
My three children have spent 7 yrs, 5 yrs and 3 yrs respectively at CMS. They have truly blossomed in the Montessori environment under the leadership of the staff at CMS.

Posted August 23, 2006
Our son attended CMS from age 3 thru the elementary program. We were very pleased with CMS's adherence to the Montessori method, its teachers and staff. The community of parents we met continue to be our friends. I have recommended CMS to several people and will continue to do so.

Corvallis Montessori School
1240 NW 27th St, Corvallis, OR  97330
Last modified Corvallis Montessori School is a Private school
Corvallis Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.