Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Caring teachers. Wonderful staff. Fabulous classroom layouts. Warm environment. Amazing lunches. Long recesses. The school reaches out to the community to help. Most importantly, my kids are happy at this school and thrive in the Montessori environment. We are very grateful we found this school after trying some others.

We finally decided to leave after 4 years. If there hadn't been one year with an exceptional teacher, we would have left earlier. Even though there is sometimes a waiting list, that masks how many people leave. There are fewer than 50% of the kids that my child started out with in Kindergarten still at the school in 4th grade and there are reasons for that. Huge class sizes, disorganization, and noisy classrooms has been our experience. There are assistants to help, but for the past 3 years my child had one that didn't speak English well, one that focused on the boys, and one that focused on the youngest in the classroom. The "revolving door" of staff included many who were Montessori trained but not all had teaching licenses. 3 out of 4 years my child had a teacher who was new to the school. The Montessori elements that we were hoping for- delving deep into a subject, exploration, and "going outs" just didn't happen. For some reason a library full of books sat idle for 2 years with fabric covering the shelves. The school almost had to close in the spring of 2015 due to overspending by the admin and lack of oversight by the board. The parent community had to come up with $200,000 in about 3 months & several provided loans to the school. Be prepared to be asked constantly for $ and to volunteer, although don't expect to spend time inside classrooms. That is reserved for people who are invited & they seem to be the same parents year after year. My kids also went to school in a different location for 3 out of the 4 years, as the school had to move to accommodate other district plans. Luckily the school was able to find space but we are uncertain of where they will move to next. With good intentions, the school has spent considerable effort investing time & resources into various community causes- farmers markets, feeding seniors, adult yoga, etc. but we feel the efforts should have been focused toward the classrooms and children. If your child is average, they may do well here, but if your child is particularly bright or faces learning challenges, there are not adequate resources or emphasis placed on their education. Look at the test scores (below district), the state report card (level 2), and read the school board minutes before selecting this school. There are many lovely parents & teachers, but not worth the risk of your child not learning the basics.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Most teachers are lovely and talented but the huge class sizes and disorganization of the school does not allow them to be as effective as they could be.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My child wanted homework and was told no on several occasions. That is unfortunate because the child wanted to go deeper into subjects.

My son has attended LCMCS for 6 years. He will be starting their Middle School (MAC) program this fall. He has had an amazing experience and education. Montessori has truly give him a whole child education. He wants to be a physicist when he grows up. He's well on his way! The staff and parent community here are also amazing!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All of the lead staff at the school are state licensed teachers and Montessori trained. It makes for an amazing team.

Develops character: Strongly agree

LCMCS practices and teaches a little thing we call grace and courtesy. It starts from a very young age and is practiced for a lifetime.

Amount of homework: Agree

No homework- which I fully believe in- 8 hours of work is enough for a kid.

This was our first year at the school and it has been a wonderful experience! My son didnt even want school to be out for the summer, that says a lot right there. His teacher was great in every way and I completely trusted him. We will be having a new teacher next year and I hope its as good as this past one.

My daughter has been at this school for a few months now and has had a difficult time to adjust but I have found her teachers to be very responsive and caring about the students. The admin staff has also been great. The school has a very nice "family" environment, very organized and peaceful. VERY welcome change from the public school we came from. We have only been there a few months but already feel like a part of the school. I would highly recommend this school to other parents. Also since some of the last reviews they have moved to a new school and the environment has changed, communication is excellent.

Last modified Lewis And Clark Montessori Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-5